Too Old To Teach?

Munted

I'm in my early fifties and have a plan to establish myself on a legal 1 rai of land by the time I'm 65. I'll be able to draw a pension from my home country from age 65, and might do a little bit of teaching to supplement my income (thought won't need to through economic necessity). I'll have a BSocSci in linguistics achieved in the year 2010 (from NZ), and I have a T&T cert. I've read of age being a factor in the hiring process in countries such as Japan & Korea. Will I have a problem of finding employment in the age early 50's to mid 60's?

Some places have no problem with age. It is a negative factor and it might go against you depending on where you live and how many schools are around.

There is also no way of knowing what laws, rules or regulations will change between now and then.

I'm in my early fifties and have a plan to establish myself on a legal 1 rai of land by the time I'm 65. I'll be able to draw a pension from my home country from age 65, and might do a little bit of teaching to supplement my income (thought won't need to through economic necessity). I'll have a BSocSci in linguistics achieved in the year 2010 (from NZ), and I have a T&T cert. I've read of age being a factor in the hiring process in countries such as Japan & Korea. Will I have a problem of finding employment in the age early 50's to mid 60's?

I am curious about how you as an alien, plan to aquire a legal 1 rai of land.

go here

go here

Did you win the Lottery? If so, which Lottery?

I wish! However I have the intention of making B200 million very soon. But not teaching. :)

Edited by Munted

Did you win the Lottery? If so, which Lottery?

I wish! However I have the intention of making B200 million very soon. :)

Good luck to you :D

Just thinking out loud here. Is it actually legal to claim a pension from overseas and work at the same time?

It depends.

Each country has different rules & it also depends upon your "residency" status in your home country (it does in Australia).

go here

Ok, I did go there. And here's what you said:

av-35354.jpg

Advanced Member

pip.gifpip.gifpip.gif

Group: Members

Member No.: 35,354

spacer.gif

QUOTE (lectito @ 2009-09-13 21:13:16) post_snapback.gifSearch for "THE LAND CODE AMENDMENT ACT (NO.8)".

In very limited circumstances foreigners can own up to one rai. (1600 square metres). You need to invest 40+ million baht in an appropriate business, and convince the Minister of the Interior to sign off on you owning the land. I doubt many foreigners (if any) have ever been successful.

That puts me out. Thanks for the reply. Anyone for a commune?

So, that puts you out. But you're gonna come into 200,000,000 baht real soon, right? And the law in NZ is gonna get passed real soon, right?

Sheesh.

So, that puts you out. But you're gonna come into 200,000,000 baht real soon, right? And the law in NZ is gonna get passed real soon, right?

Sheesh.

You not heard of the concept of irony, right? And the law is going to get passed real soon here ..... er, right?

Sheesh :)

Edited by Munted

Sheesh.

You not heard of the concept of irony, right? And the law is going to get passed real soon here ..... er, right?

Sheesh :)

And further:

" Hon Sir ROGER DOUGLAS (ACT) : ACT supports the general thrust of this bill, and supports its referral to a select committee. I thank the Minister for Social Development and Employment, Paula Bennett, for her ready response to my request for additional information relating to this bill. I raised with her what I believe could be seen as—potentially at least—one or two unfair aspects of this bill, and I take the opportunity to raise them in the House.

I take the example of a New Zealander who has worked here for 45 years, between the ages of 20 years and 65 years. If that person retires and goes to Thailand to live, under this bill that person will get a 100 percent superannuation payment, and that seems a reasonable provision.... "

from here :D

Finding a good job may be a problem at that age because companies and institutions prefer young stuff. But, there is good scope of starting your own online tutoring business, it will give you freedom to work as per your convenience. It does not need big investment.

Is it actually legal to claim a pension from overseas and work at the same time?

Yes

If you are not on a Retirement Extension, yes.

No reason for anyone to know or care about your pension income from another country.

Even if you document your income with Immigration for purposes of showing funds to be

allowed to stay here.

And for that pension income you pay no tax here in LOS

and any tax you pay back home is of no concern here.

I've known teachers (in their 70s or even 80s) who come and volunteer in teaching positions at some schools in Thailand. Usually they get some stipend to help with the rent and other expenses. After working for a year or so as 'volunteers' and if they've done well in teaching, the school hires them on a full-time basis.

Edited by prighas