Issan Bike Riding

ray23

I've been doing some local village rides around Udon lately and had an interesting one the other day. I'm out in the sticks really wondering where the ###### I was by myself. In this one horse village with dirt roads all of a sudden I run into the place with a huge stage music going like crazy and beautiful dancing girls. Now this rated a stop and look see. As I get into the area where the activity is I notice a huge surge in the crowd. Now my past experience tells me there is a fight going on and there was. One cop in the place and there is a tug of war going on, some guys are tugging at the guy fighting the others are tugging at the cop. He finally gets some cuffs out and gets one on the guy. Who is not cooperating, but not trying to hurt the cop either. Now half the crowd I trying to help the cop the other half is trying to help the suspect and no one is making progress.

Well it gets real obvous that the cop is not going to pull this one off by himself and he is a very long ways from any help, so he settles for getting the guy to leave, who is now arguing about that. Some friends step in Thai style and are trying to drag the guy out of the area. Now some people are happy with so they now have the cuffs in hand as does the cop and they are dragging him to the suspect. Finally progress is made in getting the suspect out of the area, which means dragging the guy by me. Now no one has really noticed that I was there at this point. Now the light goes on, takes a little time with me, I'm the only farrang there, speak no thia, the majority of the village is drunk out of thier minds and I have no idea where I am. Probably not best set of circumstances to visit under.

So I decide it might be a good time to get out of Dodge, as I'm doing so I'm about a block from the party when I see this really old guy standing or sort of standing by the side of the road. Sort of because there is a very young Thia man holding him up. Now the old guy is holding a sling shot, for what purpose I have no idea. As I'm driving by he decides that I'm offensive and takes a shot at me. Only problem is he is so drunk he doesn't realize that the sling shot is empty. Both the Thia guy and I are both laughing so hard he almost dropped the old man and I was bout to drop the bike. I'm now researching a GPS so I will at least no which direction to run.

Any other funny stories out there?

That had something to do with it.  haha u shoulda join in..Isaan ppl luv farang

careful thou they might ask for sum money  :D

farang = rich :o

Good idea except the bike is a very old 750 four cylinder Yamaha, that I rebuilt as project when I first got here, a dream to ride on the Khan Khean higway but a real challange at low speeds on the farm roads, if it goes down I'm not sure I can get back on it's wheels again.

Brings to mind another funny story the girl friend wife now were not getting along to well so I decide to hit the bars and of course I head to the lowlands of Udon and drink until 5:00 A.M. Now I don't drink much or often so I guess that should give a good picture of where I am at the time. Got my little honda 150 Phantom. Got it started once made it one block killed the engine and dropped it. No matter how hard I tired I just couldn't balance it and kick start it agian. A thia guy comes along sees perdictament and kick starts it for me. Drubk problem solved

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ol' friend ,

looks like we have a few things in common: I will not spit in a drink ,for sure and I like to ride my motorbike and I am (when I am in LOS) in Udon .

Give me a PM ,will be back in Udon in july ,lets get together

i remember my first weekend in Isaan, i bought beer for everyone in the family and we had a big meal. Her mom was upset that i didnt by whiskey for her and let me know it. Shoulda seen her smile when we returned 15 minutes later with the biggest bottle we could find.

Round here they like to wash it down with a can of Red Bull. :o

Redbull Hmm!!!!!!! Years ago I had the opportunity to celebrate Saint Patricks day in San Francisco, what better way then Irish coffee. I had no idea how frustrating it could be to be drunk and no hope of sleep.

Oh those were the days, but Mr. hangover showed up and they are BYE BYE

Edited by ray23

Gave up the old booze many years ago. :o

It's nice to wake up and not feel like shit.

Another fun ride, with a twist, went to Nong Kia today to check out a big bike shop in the area, neat deal. On the way back we stopped at a place for guys and were having some cokes, there was myself a retired cop from America another guy who is a retired cop from France Another friend who has not figured out that he is not in the Marine Corp any longer nice guy, just a bit different. The other American speaks no Thia, the French guy doesn't speak english and the two retired cops speak a little Thia.

A young direlect walks up behind the other American Guy and begins speaking to him rapidly in Thia, I couldn't tell if he was begging or what. In any event he was not conducting himself in a manner that was threatening in anyway. But he is just talking himself blue to the American who cannot say one word of Thia. I notice that the American with something between a smirk and a smile just keeps shaking his head yes. The French guy and I are really wondering what the American is agreeing to. So I tell the American guy how to say he didn't speak Thia. The French guy tells the Thia that the American didn't understand what he was saying.

Just then the boys in grey showup, the American guy just keeps standing in the cops way, what can I say this guy is in his own world. So I finally reach over and pull him out of the cops way. Now you would have thought a light would have went on, when all the Thia's gave the cops a very respectful area to do thier thing. Any where you are when the cops do business get out of the way.

The cops take the guy, who is refusing to go and pointing at the American, they I must say were very genltle, got the guy in thier truck, now what happened after that I have no idea.

In talking to my wife the Thia guy was telling the American that he liked him and wanted to go with him. Now remember the American was standing there with some sort of a grin on his face shaking his head yes. I still haven't had a chance to tell the American what he was shaking his yes to, I can hardly wait

The problem the cops were having was when they told the guy to go with him, he told them no he was going with the American, so when they told him to go with them he planted both feet on the ground and wouldn't move, they just overpowered him because ther were two of them and they could simply pull him. All the time he is yelling in Thia no I go with him.

We got to get this boy out more often, he is dangerous to himself at the moment LOL

Hi Ray, what sort of response did you get from your workmates when they found out you were retiring to LoS? :o

The trip I was only supposed to be for a few months, they all thought I would be back in three weeks, that was three years ago. Everything was already lined up to retire, so I just stayed. They are all excited about adventure, but don't have the courage to try it themsleves.

Well said Ray, I could put most of my friends into the same boat. I have tremendous respect for people like you. Not afraid to look outside of the square.

I really don't blame them it is hard to get out of your comfort zone, there are prices to be paid. After three years I still pay them. Less now then before and certainly a lot less expensive. However for me this was the best answer.

With change comes challenges. I would never recommend this to anyone without a driving desire to make thier lives diffferent then what they have at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ray

Keep think about getting myself a big bike and was wondering what protective clothing you wear,if any.I understand they now have breathable fabrics.

I come from the UK where everyone wears leathers and boots but you must cook in the sun here.

Rode in India with just shorts and T shirt but was a little insane at the time. :o

Hi Ray

Keep think about getting myself a big bike and was wondering what protective clothing you wear,if any.I understand they now have breathable fabrics.

I come from the UK where everyone wears leathers and boots but you must cook in the sun here.

Rode in India with just shorts and T shirt but was a little insane at the time. :o

Well road rash is one problem for sure if you go down, I have a jacket on order from the states for the hot weather, I always wear levis, even in the heat in the cooler temps I wear full leather on trips. Around town long sleeve shirts a a norm, if your going to be out for any length of time Skin Cancer is something to really think about here.

Short hops Tennis shoes, shorts and a normal short sleeve shirt, this time of year I try to keep my riding down to the mornings or evenings and stay out of it during the afternoon. I have a pickup that I bought three monhts ago, I now have whopping 1000 Km on it. I use the bike for everything.

I try to ride carefully and defensively and haven't been down here yet, but law of averages.

Cheers Ray

Think i will use the car summer and rainy season and store a bike, bringing it out in the cool season.

Thats funny the wife decided we need to show off the pickup, she didn't get many arguments out of me 100+ weather, so the bike was parked today.

Hi Ray

DRYRIDER jackets and pants are available from the shop in Bangkok that sells Shoei helmets ,fantastic gear lets air through ,but not moisture,plus almost as good as leather if you have the mis-fortune to "kiss the tarmac" :D

Hi Ray

DRYRIDER jackets and pants are available from the shop in Bangkok that sells Shoei helmets ,fantastic gear lets air through ,but not moisture,plus almost as good as leather if you have the mis-fortune to "kiss the tarmac" :D

Can you be a bit more specific--What shop --wherein BKK???

Hi Ray

Can you be a bit more specific--What shop --wherein BKK???

Helmets house 169/83 Ratchadapisek Rd. Dindang Bangkok. near Huaykwang Station ph.0 2692 7000 email [email protected]

Hope that helps mate,,sorry to be so long-winded getting back to you :D

skidmarks.jpg

Shorts I hear you say :o

Hi Ray

Rode in India with just shorts and T shirt but was a little insane at the time. :D

skidmarks.jpg

Shorts I hear you say    :o

Hi Ray

Rode in India with just shorts and T shirt but was a little insane at the time. :D

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never said I was smart LOL