How To Order Rohtis

Neeranam

A couple of days ago, I bought 3 rohtis.

I wanted one banana one, and two egg filled ones, with one egg in them.

I thought I would be clever and use the "proper" classifiers.

She asked me "gee an?"

I replied, "sai kai 2 fong".

She thought I meant 2 eggs inside.

I believe now the classifier for rohti is "an".

So what is the correct way to ask for 2 rohtis, both with one egg inside?

rohti sai kai song fong

rohti sai kai fong diow song an?

I am confused :o

She asked, 'how many?', right?

I would answer,

say kluay, nung an

Say Kai yang diow, song an...

oh, one egg each.. more is normal?

'sai kai, song an, an la nung fong'

:o

Edited by Ajarn

'sai kai, song an, an la nung fong'

That sounds good to me!

I feel like one now. :D

I like the Martabak many of the roti sellers around here also sell. I especially like the cukes in sweet vinegar that goes along...

This is also the time of year for Khawnio Mamuang, my absolute favorite sweet dish here :o

Taxexile, you're too slow :D

Edited by Ajarn

I eat rotis in Phuket from a small muslim restaurant.

They always use "chin" as the classifier. I eat plain rotis as I eat them with curry. They call these "roti tamada".

Maybe they use they word "chin" because they don't roll them up?

My understanding of 'chin' is that it's akin to 'piece'... Kii chin 'How many pieces?'

I've also heard 'chin' used for similar items...

I'm not sure, but, I think the classifier "chin" is used for small, flat objects.

Yep, could be, it seems..

11. ชิ้น chinH classifier [numerical classifier for pieces of food; for a piece of writing]

12. ชิ้น chinH noun (of food) piece, chunk, slice or lump

http://www.thai-language.com/default.asp

Some days I use this page a few times. It's been very helpful for quick references..

You should say

roti sai kluay nung an - one banana-filled roti.

roti sai kai song an - two egg-filled rotis (each one will have one egg).

But if you want two rotis with two eggs in each.

Roti sai kai song an, sai kai an la song fong.

The above 'sai kai an la song fong' is

sai(fill) kai(egg) an la (each+classifier) song(two) fong (egg classifier).

In Thai, la(each) is used with a classifier.

Reminds me of a song...

โรตีใส่ไข่ ใส่ไข่แต่ไม่ใส่นม

โรตีใส่นม ใส่นมแต่ไม่ใส่ไข่

and make sure you swing your hips (if you're a guy) or swing your chest (if your a girl)!

As for the topic...

เอาโรตีสามอัน

(โรตี)กล้วยหนึ่ง ไข่สอง

ow rhoti sarm an,

(rhoti) gluay neung, khai sorng

My rhoti shop always puts just one egg in each if you ask for an egg rhoti. So unless your shop normally puts two you can say:

โรตีไข่ ใส่หนึ่งฟอง

rhoti khai, sai neung forng

My 2 satang worth............ive always thought "chin" is used when applied to a piece of anything as opposed to dtoo-uh which is the whole item i.e a whole chicken would be dtoo-uh whereas a piece of chicken would be chin.

"Paan" ive always used for flat objects.........i.e paper ,cd's etc.

I suppose once a Roti is removed from the grill and rolled up it goes from being a "paan" to an "ahn".

My  2  satang  worth............ive  always  thought  "chin"  is  used  when  applied  to  a  piece  of  anything  as  opposed  to  dtoo-uh  which  is  the  whole  item  i.e  a  whole  chicken  would  be  dtoo-uh  whereas  a  piece  of  chicken  would  be  chin.

"Paan"  ive  always  used  for  flat  objects.........i.e  paper ,cd's  etc.

I  suppose  once  a  Roti  is  removed  from  the  grill  and  rolled  up  it  goes  from  being  a  "paan"  to  an  "ahn".

The most logical classifier for a rolled up rhoti would be [H]muan, which is the classifier for roll-up cigarettes and other types of rolls. I never heard it used in connection with rhoti though. Personally I use "phaen".

My rule of thumb is, if the seller asks, "kii an?", then I answer with 'an', also. Tends to help cut down any possible confusion from changing classifiers in mid-conversation, it seems to me  :o

Wise move. Apart from that, It's also the polite thing to do, in order to avoid potential loss of face for the vendor - a farang with better knowledge of classifiers than oneself is a bitter pill to swallow.

My rule of thumb is, if the seller asks, "kii an?", then I answer with 'an', also. Tends to help cut down any possible confusion from changing classifiers in mid-conversation, it seems to me  :D

Wise move. Apart from that, It's also the polite thing to do, in order to avoid potential loss of face for the vendor - a farang with better knowledge of classifiers than oneself is a bitter pill to swallow.

Hey, good point... I was just thinking how much I hate the reaction I often get from confusion here... A total shutdown for a moment, or two, while I'm starving for their sweet fix..... Hey! Wake up! Never mind what the farang said! Make the dam food! I've got the munchies!! :o:D