Most Liveable City In Isaan?

The Mask

Hi there, I have very limited knowledge of Isaan and would be eager to know what peoples opinions are regarding the best/most liveable city in the region. I have only been to Roi et and found the people to be very different from other parts of Thailand - I did not detect the deep rooted resentment of farangs found in other regions. Any comments would be appreciated.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course being a 'Surinite' I have to opt for Surin. It's getting to be a really nice city,but still quiet.(except when the Dutch/Colombian mafia are in town)It's the perfect place to retire to. Saying that though,more and more people are realising it and moving up here. I get 10-20 new names every week in my visitors book from people looking around with a view to moving here. Some of course we never see again but a fair few stay around.

Of course being a 'Surinite' I have to opt for Surin. It's getting to be a really nice city,but still quiet.(except when the Dutch/Colombian mafia are in town)It's the perfect place to retire to. Saying that though,more and more people are realising it and moving up here. I get 10-20 new names every week in my visitors book from people looking around with a view to moving here. Some of course we never see again but a fair few stay around.

Udon is definetly easy living as more and more farrangs have found. I have lived here for three years. I have noticed a lot more resentment of farrangs then I saw when I first got here. But generally as you do business with individuals and they get to know you, they are very nice. I don't think I would rate it as the best but I really know very little about any of the other areas. Udon has definetly changed in the short time I have been here, but if it is for the good or the bad who knows.

Why does it have to be a city in Issan? I fell in love with Si Chom Phu (35km from Chum Phae, 100km south of Udon Thani). I don't think I have found a friendlier place in Thailand. Everything happens with a minimum of fuss (rare for Thailand, I know!) It's such a shock to go from there to Pattaya. The two places would have to be the opposite ends of the Thailand spectrum.

Peter

I've been to all of them.

Roi Et was without a doubt the nicest.

Agree, the locals call it the smiling city :o of Isaan. The government invested some money 20 years ago, built a nice lake in the middle of the city with a beautiful park. Yo can also find more nice well cared restaurants with varities of food than in most of the Isaan cities. Gardening shops are opening around the city. A nice relaxing place, not to big, everything within easy reach.

Don't know why guys are slagging KK, but we'd like to know.

I lived there for a short time in late 2003 and liked it, no problems.

Had a bad eye infection, went to hospital and got smooth, courteous and caring service.

Never a problem walking around, no bahtbus bullshit.

Nong Khai gets good ratings also.

Any pics of RoiEt?

Being a country boy I prefer the sticks but Nong Khai was very nice to me. Udorn Thani didn't seem too bad but I didn't spend too much time there. I've never felt unwelcomed during any of my visits to LOS unlike many places in the US (NYC, South Capital St in DC and certain parts of Alabama -as_backwards Klan loving twits) and France. but of course it could be cause I'd ignor it or they felt I was too stupid to care (the mafia only clubs in Tokyo).

I always feel welcome in the villages. I liked Ray's story, I'll have to remeber that when I pedal around.

Eric

It all depends upon what you want from your place of residence and how you wish to spend your spare time. All the cities mentioned above have their good points and their bad points. Check them all out spending at least a few days in each one before making your choice and then rent a property for a while just to make sure. Remember that once you've seen the "sights" a few times they may cease to be of particular interest anymore, e.g. a Khmer ruin is a Khmer ruin is a Khmer ruin.

Good luck anyway!

I have to agree with jayenram.

I've spent the last 26 years living on a small, isolated tropical resort island a few hundred meters from the beach. So, when it comes to that sort of lifestyle, been there, done that.

I want something different now -- a little less isolation, a few more "city" things to do, better shopping, etc. Don't need the beach or tourist attractions.

For me Korat fits the bill. Big enough to be interesting, but not as crazy as Bangkok.

I like it, but that's a very personal opinion.

YMMV

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what makes you happy. I live in the boonies in Loei province and love it here. A friend of mine lives in Korat and loves it there. Another lives in Bangkok and a number of them in Jomtien Beach and Pattaya. If you want a good mix of everything I would say Udon Thani is the place for you. Farang shopping centers, nightlife and a lot of other farangs. Nong Kai would rate fairly high also.

I'm a country boy and never got used to the cities. I don't need farang food or shopping centers. In fact Loei city has discouraged companies like Tesco Lotus and Macro from even coming in. They don't want to harm the smaller businesses. I would like to see a big chain come in but I can do just fine without it too. Udon is not that far away and makes for a day trip if I am in desperate need of something I can't get right here. :o

I've been to all of them.

Roi Et was without a doubt the nicest.

Agree, the locals call it the smiling city :o of Isaan. The government invested some money 20 years ago, built a nice lake in the middle of the city with a beautiful park. Yo can also find more nice well cared restaurants with varities of food than in most of the Isaan cities. Gardening shops are opening around the city. A nice relaxing place, not to big, everything within easy reach.

Hey how about a little more info on Roi Et, still haven't bought a house here sounds a bit like Udon five years ago. Might be worth a few days visit.

Is there a farrang community in the area for when you have english withdrawels?

Shopping for farrang foods ?

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Good Country for local bike rides?

Is there a farrang community in the area for when you have english withdrawels?

Shopping for farrang foods ?

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Didn't see any of those, if anything the lack of Farangs made it more interesting, as there was lots of curiosity and pleasant behaviour from the locals - plus an attractive central Park.

So unlike KK, which I found dusty, vast, polluted, hard to find my way around. Nice museum, and I hear a good college though. KK not helped by my staying in a truly awful hotel - the Suksawad

Edited by The_Moog