BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
The Mask

Most Liveable City In Isaan?

Hi there, I have very limited knowledge of Isaan and would be eager to know what peoples opinions are regarding the best/most liveable city in the region. I have only been to Roi et and found the people to be very different from other parts of Thailand - I did not detect the deep rooted resentment of farangs found in other regions. Any comments would be appreciated.

I would definitely avoid Khon Kaen and Korat.

Interested to hear why you dimiss Kohn Kaen, thanks

Edited by spacebass

Of course being a 'Surinite' I have to opt for Surin. It's getting to be a really nice city,but still quiet.(except when the Dutch/Colombian mafia are in town)It's the perfect place to retire to. Saying that though,more and more people are realising it and moving up here. I get 10-20 new names every week in my visitors book from people looking around with a view to moving here. Some of course we never see again but a fair few stay around.

Of course being a 'Surinite' I have to opt for Surin. It's getting to be a really nice city,but still quiet.(except when the Dutch/Colombian mafia are in town)It's the perfect place to retire to. Saying that though,more and more people are realising it and moving up here. I get 10-20 new names every week in my visitors book from people looking around with a view to moving here. Some of course we never see again but a fair few stay around.

Udon is definetly easy living as more and more farrangs have found. I have lived here for three years. I have noticed a lot more resentment of farrangs then I saw when I first got here. But generally as you do business with individuals and they get to know you, they are very nice. I don't think I would rate it as the best but I really know very little about any of the other areas. Udon has definetly changed in the short time I have been here, but if it is for the good or the bad who knows.

I actually like Korat -- the Bakersfield of Thailand.

:o

As a central valley kid. (Hanford) how does Korat compare to Bakersfield?

Why does it have to be a city in Issan? I fell in love with Si Chom Phu (35km from Chum Phae, 100km south of Udon Thani). I don't think I have found a friendlier place in Thailand. Everything happens with a minimum of fuss (rare for Thailand, I know!) It's such a shock to go from there to Pattaya. The two places would have to be the opposite ends of the Thailand spectrum.

Peter

I actually like Korat -- the Bakersfield of Thailand.

:D

Don't know a tinkers ar*e about Bakersfiekd! :D

But I love Korat, the 2nd city of Thailand (????) :o:D:D

I've been to all of them.

Roi Et was without a doubt the nicest.

Agree, the locals call it the smiling city :o of Isaan. The government invested some money 20 years ago, built a nice lake in the middle of the city with a beautiful park. Yo can also find more nice well cared restaurants with varities of food than in most of the Isaan cities. Gardening shops are opening around the city. A nice relaxing place, not to big, everything within easy reach.