Most Liveable City In Isaan?

The Mask

Is there a farrang community in the area for when you have english withdrawels?

Shopping for farrang foods ?

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Didn't see any of those, if anything the lack of Farangs made it more interesting, as there was lots of curiosity and pleasant behaviour from the locals - plus an attractive central Park.

So unlike KK, which I found dusty, vast, polluted, hard to find my way around. Nice museum, and I hear a good college though. KK not helped by my staying in a truly awful hotel - the Suksawad

There is word of a falang settlement in the Roi Et region with about 250 falangs living there. I don't know how true it is but I have heard it from many sources. Thai & Falang.

There are many places in the Surin area like that,that I do know about though.

Sang Kha...............80-100 falangs

Prasad...................50-60

Krasang.................50-60

Ban Kruat..............40-50

And in a lot of the cases the falangs swear blind they are the only ones in the area.I would say that in almost every village in Lower Isaan(maybe the whole of Thailand) at least one falang is there part of the year,some of them all the time.In my pub visitors book,I have around 850 falangs that either live in the region,live in other parts of Thailand and visit five or six times a year,or come reguarly at least once every six months. And that is only the ones that use the pub. Of course they neally all have one thing in common. They are married,engaged of just plain simple in love with an Isaan girl.

Edited by lampard10

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what makes you happy. I live in the boonies in Loei province and love it here. A friend of mine lives in Korat and loves it there. Another lives in Bangkok and a number of them in Jomtien Beach and Pattaya. If you want a good mix of everything I would say Udon Thani is the place for you. Farang shopping centers, nightlife and a lot of other farangs. Nong Kai would rate fairly high also.

I'm a country boy and never got used to the cities. I don't need farang food or shopping centers. In fact Loei city has discouraged companies like Tesco Lotus and Macro from even coming in. They don't want to harm the smaller businesses. I would like to see a big chain come in but I can do just fine without it too. Udon is not that far away and makes for a day trip if I am in desperate need of something I can't get right here.  :D

i hate to spoil the fun but a massive monstrosity is being built, allegedly to become a Tesco Lotus (as i was reliably informed by the owners' son, one of my superlative students....)

on the plus side, we might get some cheese :D:o

Loei is not a bad place to be, especially living slightly out

I live about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. It's a scenic area, very little traffic and quite peaceful.

I had heard the Tesco Lotus wanted to build a store but that there was a lot of opposition. I hope they get it in and running. I wish you hadn't mentioned cheese. I had almost forgotten it existed. :D

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what makes you happy. I live in the boonies in Loei province and love it here. A friend of mine lives in Korat and loves it there. Another lives in Bangkok and a number of them in Jomtien Beach and Pattaya. If you want a good mix of everything I would say Udon Thani is the place for you. Farang shopping centers, nightlife and a lot of other farangs. Nong Kai would rate fairly high also.

I'm a country boy and never got used to the cities. I don't need farang food or shopping centers. In fact Loei city has discouraged companies like Tesco Lotus and Macro from even coming in. They don't want to harm the smaller businesses. I would like to see a big chain come in but I can do just fine without it too. Udon is not that far away and makes for a day trip if I am in desperate need of something I can't get right here.  :D

i hate to spoil the fun but a massive monstrosity is being built, allegedly to become a Tesco Lotus (as i was reliably informed by the owners' son, one of my superlative students....)

on the plus side, we might get some cheese :D:o

Loei is not a bad place to be, especially living slightly out

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Didn't see any of those, if anything the lack of Farangs made it more interesting, as there was lots of curiosity and pleasant behaviour from the locals - plus an attractive central Park.

So unlike KK, which I found dusty, vast, polluted, hard to find my way around. Nice museum, and I hear a good college though. KK not helped by my staying in a truly awful hotel - the Suksawad

Well my hotel experience was the same, I did see a nice lake and a very unusual Wat there.

Maybe a short drives would cure the rest of the problem, since these are things I do enjoy, I truly miss how Udon was five years ago.

Im 100 Km south of Korat.In a beautiful village with 2 large lakes near by,full of Mango & fruit trees.Pure bliss :o .But once or twice a month its nice to take a drive into Korat City to do some shopping at Tesco Lotus or grab a bite to eat at the Fuji Resturant then watch a film at the cinema.

I would`nt swap issan for any other location in the world..

I spend most of my time about 50 kilometers south of Loei city but I also have a condo in Jomtien. In Jomtien the saltshakers clog up in about a day from the humidity year round. Here that doesn't happen. I also have a problem with dry skin here and no problem in Jomtien so I can say that from those comparisons that Loei has much lower humidity. I have not spent a rainy season here yet so it may change when the rains come.

Re Loei

Do you get the high humidity in the Loei  area as most of Thailand does?

Re Loei

Do you get the high humidity in the Loei  area as most of Thailand does?

i live in the town, and the situation , as Gary says, is much more tolerable than any other places i have visited/been. definetely less humidity and more cool weather, however the temps are supposed to soar to higher-than-rest-of-Thailand levels during April....hasn't started yet though :-)

Edited by costas

I've been to all of them.

Roi Et was without a doubt the nicest.

Agree, the locals call it the smiling city :o of Isaan. The government invested some money 20 years ago, built a nice lake in the middle of the city with a beautiful park. Yo can also find more nice well cared restaurants with varities of food than in most of the Isaan cities. Gardening shops are opening around the city. A nice relaxing place, not to big, everything within easy reach.

Hey how about a little more info on Roi Et, still haven't bought a house here sounds a bit like Udon five years ago. Might be worth a few days visit.

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Good Country for local bike rides?

Roi-et is growing slowly, Lotus is here, Makro opened 2 months ago, lots of farang food :D . They have some nice falang style estates like Cityrom. The falang community usually meets as from 6 pm at White Elephant Restaurant. Excellent european food :D and snooker, nice bar. Situated 50 meter from Roi et City hotel (4 star). Petcharad Garden hotel has very friendly service and a swimming pool with Restaurant and lots of shady trees. Roi et 101 Restaurant is 100 m from Petcharad with very good Thai food, 400 places :D and live music. Around there you can find cosy garden restaurants , dicsos , fancy styled bars with live music

The falang community in the Provence Roi et is 300 living here and 1200 married to Thai woman. Mainly English, German, Swiss. About 500 falang styled houses build here in this provence mainly in Roi et, Baan Chaan, Selaphum. Phanomprai. The governor here cares for the falang community and invites every year about 50 falang to take part in the Bun Pawen activities.

Agree, the locals call it the smiling city :o of Isaan. The government invested some money 20 years ago, built a nice lake in the middle of the city with a beautiful park. Yo can also find more nice well cared restaurants with varities of food than in most of the Isaan cities. Gardening shops are opening around the city. A nice relaxing place, not to big, everything within easy reach.

Hey how about a little more info on Roi Et, still haven't bought a house here sounds a bit like Udon five years ago. Might be worth a few days visit.

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Roi-et is growing slowly, Lotus is here, Makro opened 2 months ago, lots of farang food :D . They have some nice falang style estates like Cityrom. The falang community usually meets as from 6 pm at White Elephant Restaurant. Excellent european food :D and snooker, nice bar. Situated 50 meter from Roi et City hotel (4 star). Petcharad Garden hotel has very friendly service and a swimming pool with Restaurant and lots of shady trees. Roi et 101 Restaurant is 100 m from Petcharad with very good Thai food, 400 places :D and live music. Around there you can find cosy garden restaurants , dicsos , fancy styled bars with live music

The falang community in the Provence Roi et is 300 living here and 1200 married to Thai woman. Mainly English, German, Swiss. About 500 falang styled houses build here in this provence mainly in Roi et, Baan Chaan, Selaphum. Phanomprai. The governor here cares for the falang community and invites every year about 50 falang to take part in the Bun Pawen activities.

Outstanding answer thank you!

I'll try one more what is the cost of a ria of land on a good paved road within 10Kms of town? That seems to run around a 100K in here in Udon.

Definetly worth a road trip no doubt about it

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Outstanding answer thank you!

I'll try one more what is the cost of a ria of land on a good paved road within 10Kms of town? That seems to run around a 100K in here in Udon.

Definetly worth a road trip no doubt about it

10km out of town 1 Rai land with good road about 100k. Suburbs of Roi et with good roads 1 Rai 250k but no water and TV supply.

Hi there, I have very limited knowledge of Isaan and would be eager to know what peoples opinions are regarding the best/most liveable city in the region. I have only been to Roi et and found the people to be very different from other parts of Thailand - I did not detect the deep rooted resentment of farangs found in other regions. Any comments would be appreciated.

Let me try and put a positive spin on this:

The entire Isaan region is basically the same. Each town has an outdoor market, a wat or two, generally dirty streets and surroundings, possibly some busses to pollute the air and many places to buy beer and whiskey lao along with the drunks to drink it and gamble the days away. You may even get a Farang bar to pass the time away if your lucky.

Hi there, I have very limited knowledge of Isaan and would be eager to know what peoples opinions are regarding the best/most liveable city in the region. I have only been to Roi et and found the people to be very different from other parts of Thailand - I did not detect the deep rooted resentment of farangs found in other regions. Any comments would be appreciated.

The entire Isaan region is basically the same. Each town has an outdoor market, a wat or two, generally dirty streets and surroundings, possibly some busses to pollute the air and many places to buy beer and whiskey lao along with the drunks to drink it and gamble the days away. You may even get a Farang bar to pass the time away if your lucky.

Well one of the things that I have found about Issan is your description is extremly accurate, if that is what you want to make it, personally I have found many other things to keep me busy. There is golf, there is bowling if your in the right place, some places have farrang theatres. Traveling is inexpensive and there is a lot to see if you get out and do it. There are many places for camping and they are free. There is a lot to learn here, if you want to involve yourself. I do a lot of bike riding and there is a club Thia and Farrang that ride together. There are many resturants in most areas to try, But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan

Have you been to Isaan lately and did you travel around lately in this polluted and dirty place. Did you not notice any changes in the last years. No? Bankgkok seems to be more polluted than any other city in the world. Bangkok clean ??? Gambling the days away is not only a Isaan custom, put it in the right context. If the farang bar night life is the level to achieve, we are really missing something :o here, sorry. But we enjoy outdoor life more than others and enjoy the clean air. We are also having lots of shady cool places here :D, very friendly service in lots of good restaurants but you can not find them speeding along. Missing something ?

Sorry but it isnt all the same.Thats the beauty of Issan.From where i am hills,lakes & forest to visit family in Phi mai the land scape is so different.Phi Mai is flat, rice fields Khmer temples.Has its own beauty.I was very close to moving to Phi Mai to start with but the humity & heat can be a bit too much.

Being near Khai Yai & quite high up the humity is alot less & there is a slight chill in the morning.But i do like to visit phi mai very often.

I'll put the cat amongst the pigeons and say , for me , it's a Thai (sic) between Kalasin , Kohn Kaen and Roi-et ( LA to the locals )

Mainly because I have extended family in each ville , they are a fantastic bunch of people and make wherever they stay, a great place.

Even Larry would agree if he cast the forest out of his eye first!

:o

Khon Kaen is by far the most liveable city in Isaan for me.

It is big enough for decent schools.

It is big enough for taking visiting friends out for a good(interesting) piss up.

There are 2 golf courses.

There is work for me.

There is a good mixture of town/country people.

It is small enough to get around without traffic jams!

Airport.

Good shops/supermarkets.

The right number of farang - I can still be a novelty without everyone staring at me etc.

Not everyone knows me like in smaller towns.

Enough people know me to get work.

My family has a nightclub there (run by nong chai).

My wife has a resraurant.

Good weather.

etc etc.

I don't like Udon, Korat. I like Ubon/Maha Sarakham and Roi-Et.

Khon Kaen is by far the most liveable city in Isaan for me.

It is big enough for decent schools.

It is big enough for taking visiting friends out for a good(interesting) piss up.

There are 2 golf courses.

There is work for me.

There is a good mixture of town/country people.

It is small enough to get around without traffic jams!

Airport.

Good shops/supermarkets.

The right number of farang - I can still be a novelty without everyone staring at me etc.

Not everyone knows me like in smaller towns.

Enough people know me to get work.

My family has a nightclub there (run by nong chai).

Good weather.

etc etc.

Good Report, I have been Udon for three years and am getting the urge to explore, before I settle down and buy. only been I korat once overnight so know nothing of it. You seem to know Udon at least to give it a no vote. Can you please give me the differnce's that you have noticed.

I don't like Udon, Korat. I like Ubon/Maha Sarakham and Roi-Et.

"Khon Kaen is by far the most liveable city in Isaan for me.

It is big enough for decent schools."

So is Surin.

"It is big enough for taking visiting friends out for a good(interesting) piss up."

So is Surin (believe me).

"There are 2 golf courses."

Only 1 in Surin, however, I've seen better.

"There is work for me."

Please refrain from using profanity.

"There is a good mixture of town/country people."

As in Surin.

"It is small enough to get around without traffic jams!"

As in Surin.

"Airport."

Surin has an airport. Unfortunately, no airlines fly there anymore.

"Good shops/supermarkets."

Surin has these also.

"The right number of farang - I can still be a novelty without everyone staring at me etc."

I don't know what "the right number" amounts to. We've certainly got our quota of weirdos. Ask Paddy. BTW, what else do they do in addition to staring at you?

"Not everyone knows me like in smaller towns."

Mmmmmm. Bit of a problem for me here. I'm 6'4" and white.

"Enough people know me to get work."

Please refrain from using profanity (again).

"My family has a nightclub there (run by nong chai).

Good weather."

My family does not have a nightclub or restaurant but the weather isn't half bad (compared with eeeeuuukkk).

All in all, make your bed and lay in it.

Well one of the things that I have found about Issan is your description is extremly accurate, if that is what you want to make it, personally I have found many other things to keep me busy. There is golf, there is bowling if your in the right place, some places have farrang theatres. Traveling is inexpensive and there is a lot to see if you get out and do it. There are many places for camping and they are free. There is a lot to learn here, if you want to involve yourself. I do a lot of bike riding and there is a club Thia and Farrang that ride together. There are many resturants in most areas to try, But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan

Ray

I appreciate your perspective and in some ways envy your ability to eke out enjoyment in a land with so little. I have spent my life in a large city environment and would be unable to enjoy your program for more than a week or two.

Furthermore, from my own experience and observation, I see little chance of a farang fitting into Isaan culture in any significant way. It seems to be an intellectually deprived and lonely existance. I base this on not only the Thais I have met in Isaan but the farangs as well. This leeds me to conclude it is a very trying place to live on a permanent or even long term basis. Nice place to visit but I would not want to live there.

Also, your comment: "But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan". The comments made about Isaan are common knowkedge, especially about the Farangs there being drunks. They do not require one to be a drinker, just to have open eyes.

Chookdee

Ray

I appreciate your perspective and in some ways envy your ability to eke out enjoyment in a land with so little.  I have spent my life in a large city environment and would be unable to enjoy your program for more than a week or two.

"To each his own" as they say.

Furthermore, from my own experience and observation, I see little chance of a farang fitting into Isaan culture in any significant way. It seems to be an intellectually deprived and lonely existance. I base this on not only the Thais I have met in Isaan but the farangs as well. This leeds me to conclude it is a very trying place to live on a permanent or even long term basis. Nice place to visit but I would not want to live there.

tonguesmclrd5uu.gif

Also, your comment:  "But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan".  The comments  made about Isaan are common knowkedge, especially about the Farangs there being drunks. They do not require one to be a drinker, just to have open eyes.

Ok, you got a point there. keg_pounding_sm_clr.gif

Chookdee

Cheers to you also. :o

And you all forgot the most wonderful attribute of Isaan. It has scores of the most beautiful women in the world,doing their own thing in their own evoiroment. 

Strangely, I don't agree with this. Most guys I know say this, but I prefer the girls from the North, or Central.