Most Liveable City In Isaan?

The Mask

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about other towns in Isaan and stayed only in Buriram but find it a most livable place. The people are friendly and helpfull and the lifestyle is most relaxed. I stopped going elsewhere for shopping as I can now get just about everything I need right here in town. A European foodstore, farang pubs and a movie theater (unfortunately all movies only in Thai) and even a golf course that looks quite good. I don't play golf. The only thing that still pi**es me off is the double pricing standards for farang and Thai but then again, that happens all over Thailand and I've got to live with it. I won't move anywhere else if I can help it.

Let me try and put a positive spin on this:

The entire Isaan region is basically the same. Each town has an outdoor market, a wat or two, generally dirty streets and surroundings, possibly some busses to pollute the air and many places to buy beer and whiskey lao along with the drunks to drink it and gamble the days away. You may even get a Farang bar to pass the time away if your lucky.

Well one of the things that I have found about Issan is your description is extremly accurate, if that is what you want to make it, personally I have found many other things to keep me busy. There is golf, there is bowling if your in the right place, some places have farrang theatres. Traveling is inexpensive and there is a lot to see if you get out and do it. There are many places for camping and they are free. There is a lot to learn here, if you want to involve yourself. I do a lot of bike riding and there is a club Thia and Farrang that ride together. There are many resturants in most areas to try, But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan

Ray

I appreciate your perspective and in some ways envy your ability to eke out enjoyment in a land with so little. I have spent my life in a large city environment and would be unable to enjoy your program for more than a week or two.

Furthermore, from my own experience and observation, I see little chance of a farang fitting into Isaan culture in any significant way. It seems to be an intellectually deprived and lonely existance. I base this on not only the Thais I have met in Isaan but the farangs as well. This leeds me to conclude it is a very trying place to live on a permanent or even long term basis. Nice place to visit but I would not want to live there.

Also, your comment: "But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan". The comments made about Isaan are common knowkedge, especially about the Farangs there being drunks. They do not require one to be a drinker, just to have open eyes.

Chookdee

Well I guess that bellying up to the bar was a part of my life for about three years, didn't like it. I don't judge other people for that, just not for me. Most of my friends drink on occasion as do I. Your right I don't fit into the Issan culuture and pretty much excepted the trade off I needed to make a life here. Not perfect but niether was life in the states. I was much lonier in the States working six and seven days a week, then I am here. My social life is much better here. I do have my moments of boredom as I am sure that everyone does. Each of us comes from different experiences. I do a lot of things here that I never have had time to do in the states. I get an urge for something that I want to eat the search is on, to find what I need to get what I want, then comes learning how to cook. One time and I get the wifes way, because as a norm she does it much better then I do. I have absolutely nothing to do and most days I don't have enough time to get it done. I can't say that I enjoy Issan people I can't speak to them, they may or may not be the greatest people in the world I have no idea. But I carved the nitch that I'm comfortable with. Is this for everyone NO!!!!!!!!!!! it's not. The one thing I do wish for you is that you find that nitch in your life that does the same for you.

Ladies oh yes, it's a good thing

Re Loei

Do you get the high humidity in the Loei  area as most of Thailand does?

i live in the town, and the situation , as Gary says, is much more tolerable than any other places i have visited/been. definetely less humidity and more cool weather, however the temps are supposed to soar to higher-than-rest-of-Thailand levels during April....hasn't started yet though :-)

It's not April :o

And you all forgot the most wonderful attribute of Isaan. It has scores of the most beautiful women in the world,doing their own thing in their own evoiroment. 

Strangely, I don't agree with this. Most guys I know say this, but I prefer the girls from the North, or Central.

Were you impressed with the girls in the Miss Thailand competition? I didn't see it last year but the time I did see it (until I switched channels, bored), all the girls had white complexions and farang noses. Just like all the actresses (and actors) on the TV soaps. Give me a dark skinned, small nosed Issarn girl every time. Ooops, the FG is from Phayao! :o

While I was working for a Thai factory I was always invited to go out bar hopping with the Thai engineers. Each time I would get politely quizzed as to why I always picked the ugliest girls in the place. If the girls were tall, had a big nose and were light skinned the Thai guys considered them beautiful even if they were quite unappealing to me. I have a distinct preference to the dark skinned Issan types. :o

And you all forgot the most wonderful attribute of Isaan. It has scores of the most beautiful women in the world,doing their own thing in their own evoiroment. 

Strangely, I don't agree with this. Most guys I know say this, but I prefer the girls from the North, or Central.

Were you impressed with the girls in the Miss Thailand competition? I didn't see it last year but the time I did see it (until I switched channels, bored), all the girls had white complexions and farang noses. Just like all the actresses (and actors) on the TV soaps. Give me a dark skinned, small nosed Issarn girl every time. Ooops, the FG is from Phayao! :D

I lived in Khon Kaen for seven years and traveled to most other cities/villages in Isaan. I think that Khon Kaen is the best for the facilities that are available - airport especially. There are western bars/restaurants, nice hotels, good prices for homes, and stores that stock American and European items. Almost everything BKK has without being in BKK.

Is there a farrang community in the area for when you have english withdrawels?

Shopping for farrang foods ?

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Didn't see any of those, if anything the lack of Farangs made it more interesting, as there was lots of curiosity and pleasant behaviour from the locals - plus an attractive central Park.

So unlike KK, which I found dusty, vast, polluted, hard to find my way around. Nice museum, and I hear a good college though. KK not helped by my staying in a truly awful hotel - the Suksawad

There is word of a falang settlement in the Roi Et region with about 250 falangs living there. I don't know how true it is but I have heard it from many sources. Thai & Falang.

There are many places in the Surin area like that,that I do know about though.

Sang Kha...............80-100 falangs

Prasad...................50-60

Krasang.................50-60

Ban Kruat..............40-50

And in a lot of the cases the falangs swear blind they are the only ones in the area.I would say that in almost every village in Lower Isaan(maybe the whole of Thailand) at least one falang is there part of the year,some of them all the time.In my pub visitors book,I have around 850 falangs that either live in the region,live in other parts of Thailand and visit five or six times a year,or come reguarly at least once every six months. And that is only the ones that use the pub. Of course they neally all have one thing in common. They are married,engaged of just plain simple in love with an Isaan girl.

Baan Kruat is in Buriram.......perm farang residents about 20......but your total for property owners is about right....quite a few are fly in fly out

When I was there in '93 there were 4 farangs who lived there including the blonde chick on the pushbike.....and 2 regular visitors. there was a belgian, a pom, an Aussie and the chick.....plus me and my mate who now lives there too, who were the visitors

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Didn't see any of those, if anything the lack of Farangs made it more interesting, as there was lots of curiosity and pleasant behaviour from the locals - plus an attractive central Park.

So unlike KK, which I found dusty, vast, polluted, hard to find my way around. Nice museum, and I hear a good college though. KK not helped by my staying in a truly awful hotel - the Suksawad

There is word of a falang settlement in the Roi Et region with about 250 falangs living there. I don't know how true it is but I have heard it from many sources. Thai & Falang.

And in a lot of the cases the falangs swear blind they are the only ones in the area.I would say that in almost every village in Lower Isaan(maybe the whole of Thailand) at least one falang is there part of the year,some of them all the time.In my pub visitors book,I have around 850 falangs that either live in the region,live in other parts of Thailand and visit five or six times a year,or come reguarly at least once every six months. And that is only the ones that use the pub. Of course they neally all have one thing in common. They are married,engaged of just plain simple in love with an Isaan girl.

Baan Kruat is in Buriram.......perm farang residents about 20......but your total for property owners is about right....quite a few are fly in fly out

When I was there in '93 there were 4 farangs who lived there including the blonde chick on the pushbike.....and 2 regular visitors. there was a belgian, a pom, an Aussie and the chick.....plus me and my mate who now lives there too, who were the visitors

Are you one of the regular Ban Kruat crowd that visits me from time to time then?

Let me try and put a positive spin on this:

The entire Isaan region is basically the same. Each town has an outdoor market, a wat or two, generally dirty streets and surroundings, possibly some busses to pollute the air and many places to buy beer and whiskey lao along with the drunks to drink it and gamble the days away. You may even get a Farang bar to pass the time away if your lucky.

Well one of the things that I have found about Issan is your description is extremly accurate, if that is what you want to make it, personally I have found many other things to keep me busy. There is golf, there is bowling if your in the right place, some places have farrang theatres. Traveling is inexpensive and there is a lot to see if you get out and do it. There are many places for camping and they are free. There is a lot to learn here, if you want to involve yourself. I do a lot of bike riding and there is a club Thia and Farrang that ride together. There are many resturants in most areas to try, But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan

Ray

I appreciate your perspective and in some ways envy your ability to eke out enjoyment in a land with so little. I have spent my life in a large city environment and would be unable to enjoy your program for more than a week or two.

Furthermore, from my own experience and observation, I see little chance of a farang fitting into Isaan culture in any significant way. It seems to be an intellectually deprived and lonely existance. I base this on not only the Thais I have met in Isaan but the farangs as well. This leeds me to conclude it is a very trying place to live on a permanent or even long term basis. Nice place to visit but I would not want to live there.

Also, your comment: "But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan". The comments made about Isaan are common knowkedge, especially about the Farangs there being drunks. They do not require one to be a drinker, just to have open eyes.

Chookdee

Well I guess that bellying up to the bar was a part of my life for about three years, didn't like it. I don't judge other people for that, just not for me. Most of my friends drink on occasion as do I. Your right I don't fit into the Issan culuture and pretty much excepted the trade off I needed to make a life here. Not perfect but niether was life in the states. I was much lonier in the States working six and seven days a week, then I am here. My social life is much better here. I do have my moments of boredom as I am sure that everyone does. Each of us comes from different experiences. I do a lot of things here that I never have had time to do in the states. I get an urge for something that I want to eat the search is on, to find what I need to get what I want, then comes learning how to cook. One time and I get the wifes way, because as a norm she does it much better then I do. I have absolutely nothing to do and most days I don't have enough time to get it done. I can't say that I enjoy Issan people I can't speak to them, they may or may not be the greatest people in the world I have no idea. But I carved the nitch that I'm comfortable with. Is this for everyone NO!!!!!!!!!!! it's not. The one thing I do wish for you is that you find that nitch in your life that does the same for you.

Good answer Ray , For me living in Korat the boredom comes from me not speaking the language that well . I can just about get by . When I do speak Thai they always think its funny and repeat what I said . I ask if I said it wrong and I get a look and then they say " no " . Bothers me sometimes .

Back to the topic , I do like Korat very much , its big enough and still has that country feel to it . I have got to go to that big lake and try the fishing , anyone been there ?

Bowling Alley?

Mexican Resturant?

Are you one of the regular Ban Kruat crowd that visits me from time to time then?

If you attended farang night on mondays at Daengs little food shop in front of the market and were there 12 months ago....possibly did meet you...That was my first time there in 7 years.....last time I was there before that, the main road was single lane and unlit...there was no ATM in Baan Kruat or Prakhonchai...there was only a hardware store on the one side of the road...where they are now 2 barbers and a few other shops. and Prasat Tong was the only karaoke place around. It certainly did change in that 7 years.... :o

I spend most of my time about 50 kilometers south of Loei city but I also have a condo in Jomtien. In Jomtien the saltshakers clog up in about a day from the humidity year round. Here that doesn't happen.

For 'clog-free' salt shakers put a few grains of rice into the salt shaker. The rice absorbs the moisture...you only absorb the salt :o

• 4 weeks later...

Roi-et is growing slowly, Lotus is here, Makro opened 2 months ago, lots of farang food :o . They have some nice falang style estates like Cityrom. The falang community usually meets as from 6 pm at White Elephant Restaurant. Excellent european food :D and snooker, nice bar. Situated 50 meter from Roi et City hotel (4 star). Petcharad Garden hotel has very friendly service and a swimming pool with Restaurant and lots of shady trees. Roi et 101 Restaurant is 100 m from Petcharad with very good Thai food, 400 places :D and live music. Around there you can find cosy garden restaurants , dicsos , fancy styled bars with live music

The falang community in the Provence Roi et is 300 living here and 1200 married to Thai woman. Mainly English, German, Swiss. About 500 falang styled houses build here in this provence mainly in Roi et, Baan Chaan, Selaphum. Phanomprai. The governor here cares for the falang community and invites every year about 50 falang to take part in the Bun Pawen activities.

Very interested in your comments about houses. I have been coming here for a while now and will be moving here in about 2 months as my gf is a dentist and does not want to give up her job.

Have spent most of the time since Songkran looking at houses. However, the impression is that they are badly designed, often using cheap materials, constructed by a cowboy builder and within touching distance of the next property. I guess building regulations do not apply here! If you want me to be more specific just let me know. Consequently we have decided to rent a house and get a double brick one built to our design when we can locate a peice of land that has been properly surveyed.

Any information on a good builder will be appreciated and a legal guy who knows the ropes and can provide the paperwork in English.

Have also looked at houses in KKC but found them to be the worst while Maha Sarakham is abut the same as far as I can see.

Went to the White Elephant for dinner last year (Thai) but not impressed maybe they are better at European food, the guy there is German.

Stay in the Petcharat Garden Hotel when here but get bored with exactly the same food every morning for breakfast. It has very cheap room rate unlike the the Roi Et City Hotel and a pool and is only 20 baht by Tuk Tuk to the bank in the city.

Found the people are very friendly and can always pop into BKK by PB Air if KKC loses its appeal for shopping.

Edited by Anon999

I spend most of my time about 50 kilometers south of Loei city but I also have a condo in Jomtien. In Jomtien the saltshakers clog up in about a day from the humidity year round. Here that doesn't happen.

For 'clog-free' salt shakers put a few grains of rice into the salt shaker. The rice absorbs the moisture...you only absorb the salt :o

Tried that many times here in Pattaya. In my experience it makes no difference.

Nong Kai is a bit far for a river breeze.

Anything closer to Korat for a river breeze? :o

There's some fantastic places up in the hills between Korat and Sara Buri. Clean rivers/streams,loads of cataracts and waterfalls. Don't go at the weekends or school holidays though. There are also sun-flower fields,papaya plantations and vinyards in that area. If you turn north just past Chock Chai steak house you should find hidden Thailand.

Excellent reply... I had serious reservations about moving to Isan (Surin province.) It has been four years since I live here, and I feel very happy and have time to do things that I never had time to do before.

• 2 weeks later...