Most Liveable City In Isaan?

The Mask

as my missus comes from buriram - i gotta ask- what about buriram- no one seems to have mentioned it

Krasang was mentioned that's buri ram, but your right I don't recall anyone mentioning the town. I always thought korat was not considered as Issan? at least some from there claim it's not.

I asked a dancer once who had toured for five years her favourite place and she said Ubon. Having gone there for the first time recently I think i'd have to agree, lots of greenery and on the river. Roi et is pretty but bugger all to do at night from what i saw, not counting the mai tai hotel. KK is the ugliest town with the least to recommend it as far as living there. Overall best is surin, wins hands down IMO for size, nightlife and nice people. Bottom line is anywhere in issan is beter than falangland-peter

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as my missus comes from buriram - i gotta ask- what about buriram- no one seems to have mentioned it

Krasang was mentioned that's buri ram, but your right I don't recall anyone mentioning the town. I always thought korat was not considered as Issan? at least some from there claim it's not.

I asked a dancer once who had toured for five years her favourite place and she said Ubon. Having gone there for the first time recently I think i'd have to agree, lots of greenery and on the river. Roi et is pretty but bugger all to do at night from what i saw, not counting the mai tai hotel. KK is the ugliest town with the least to recommend it as far as living there. Overall best is surin, wins hands down IMO for size, nightlife and nice people. Bottom line is anywhere in issan is beter than falangland-peter

Thats true thai3 . every Thai I have met does not consider Korat , Issan . They speak of it as the gateway to issan . On the maps it is always marked in the central province .

I've lived in Surin since I left Pattaya 7years ago,and I have seen the changes here. From a one horse town it has turned into one of the most rapidly expanding towns/cities in Thailand. The number of Farangs moving into the area is something to behold as well.I get 4-5 requests on my web-site every week from people coming to Thailand and want to live in this area,as well as on average about 15 new customers every week that sign my visitors book. Now we have Makro,Big-C,Tesco/Lotus (rumours of Carrfourr)and two massive Home Mart being built on the by-pass. Other things in the pipeline include a large new bus-station being built on the outskirts of town, a brand new regional airport to serve the area.,and a new two lane high way from Surin to Ankhor Wat.A new lighted sign has appeared in town,reading' Surin,the gateway to Indo-china'. Apart from all this,Surin is a delightful town to live in.

I've lived in Surin since I left Pattaya 7years ago,and I have seen the changes here. From a one horse town it has turned into one of the most rapidly expanding towns/cities in Thailand. The number of Farangs moving into the area is something to behold as well.I get 4-5 requests on my web-site every week from people coming to Thailand and want to live in this area,as well as on average about 15 new customers every week that sign my visitors book. Now we have Makro,Big-C,Tesco/Lotus (rumours of Carrfourr)and two massive Home Mart being built on the  by-pass. Other things in the pipeline include a large new bus-station being built on the outskirts of town, a brand new regional airport to serve the area.,and a new two lane high way from Surin to Ankhor Wat.A new lighted sign has appeared in town,reading' Surin,the gateway to Indo-china'. Apart from all this,Surin is a delightful town to live in.

you're lucky you still have a book after spog and mono were there :o

Thats true thai3 . every Thai I have met does not consider Korat , Issan . They speak of it as the gateway to issan . On the maps it is always marked in the central province .

Gee, Jeff, not sure about that. I just walked out to my wife's beauty salon and asked my wife and 3 other Thai customers if Korat is Issan and they all said that, yes, very definitely it is Issan. :o

Edit: and two of the customers are school teachers. :D

Edited by Ken

Edit:  and two of the customers are school teachers. :D

No wonder they dont know anything :o

Also , when someone says " gateway " that would be just about at the border I would think . Probally meaning what ?

I do not claim to know anything about it , I just know what im told by Thai people that live there .

dream on my friend ... the airport is closed and was only open for 4 months and the busstation stays where it always stayed because of the farang connection ...

Martin is "the boss" of the busstreet and he don't want to move the busstation...Quote from Matin ....(idiot)

2 posts and 2 flames....... nice work cdb.

Fall off a bar stool did we!

Maybe the bear pit would be a better deal for CDB, I was trying to figure out where the last flame came from, but then I decided it wasn't worth the time and energy to understand.

Poor Lampard.  Guess owning/running a bar you get all kinds. :o Bet he can't wait for Mike (mgnewman) and myself to come for a visit. :D

Problem is the poster has been thrown out of every bar in surin,and,Surin itself. When he lived here it was a great place (so he said)

Come on Down Ken & Mike

Edited by lampard10

Sorry udon mate,forgot the old Nong Khai "breeze report"

Well,during the day there is a slight breeze off the river but not enough to counter the Isaan summer heat.

At night however it's fantastic.Must be fifity restaurants along the river in the town and the food is excellent.Was 40 degrees during the day and not a bead of sweat at night due to the lovely breeze.Said it a million times but sunsets are my thing and the sunset over the Mekong runs West coast of India sunsets a close second.

i counted forteen falangs in tesco-lotus when i was last in roi-et, just in one visit, the city is realy beautiful, the lake has millions of huge fish that people go to feed every day, also you see people jogging around the lake, the white elephant has great falang food and the owner (swiss, i think )is very pleasant guy. i stayed at the city hotel and the other one , with a pool, both quite ok, awful american breakfasts, but i forgive them that !! i built a small two bed house for my mother-in-law on a small plot for 500,000 bht. a decent 3 bed place would cost 1-1.5 million. lots of beer places, discos, bars, but the clientel is very thai and not too many people speak english, unless they,ve worked in bangkok. all in all a very nice place to be, i,m thinking of moving up there full time in the near future.

I liked Nong Khai so much i bought a piece of it,a very small piece. :o

Well,i paid for it but stuck it in the wife's name.Do i then own it,i don't know and i don't really care. :D

Found a great restaurant away from the promenade,called Dee Dee on the high street.Looks like a shit hole but excellent food.At seven could not move for hundreds of locals dining.A Thai-Chinese owner and a great fusion of tastes between the two cultures.Gai pad met ma muang was the best i've ever had,far sweeter than your Thai version.

i counted forteen falangs in tesco-lotus when i was last in roi-et, just in one visit, the city is realy beautiful, the lake has millions of huge fish that people go to feed every day, also you see people jogging around the lake, the white elephant has great falang food and the owner (swiss, i think )is very pleasant guy. i stayed at the city hotel and the other one , with a pool, both quite ok, awful american breakfasts, but i forgive them that !! i built a small two bed house for my mother-in-law on a small plot for 500,000 bht. a decent 3 bed place would cost 1-1.5 million. lots of beer places, discos, bars, but the clientel is very thai and not too many people speak english, unless they,ve worked in bangkok. all in all a very nice place to be, i,m thinking of moving up there full time in the near future.

That sounds very nice :o

I would like to go there sometime . I have heard that there are mountians and it actually get cool outside at times .

How long of a ride is it from Korat ?

But 14 farangs at one time .... way to many !

Take care ,

Jeff

a vote for KK...been here for 6 months....have found it farang friendly...anything available if needed, good hospitals,university...nice city centre lake, some good hotels...plenty of good eating places, computer shops etc......friendly people, beautiful women and cheap to live...what more do you want..??? :o