Most Liveable City In Isaan?

The Mask

i counted forteen falangs in tesco-lotus when i was last in roi-et, just in one visit, the city is realy beautiful, the lake has millions of huge fish that people go to feed every day, also you see people jogging around the lake, the white elephant has great falang food and the owner (swiss, i think )is very pleasant guy. i stayed at the city hotel and the other one , with a pool, both quite ok, awful american breakfasts, but i forgive them that !! i built a small two bed house for my mother-in-law on a small plot for 500,000 bht. a decent 3 bed place would cost 1-1.5 million. lots of beer places, discos, bars, but the clientel is very thai and not too many people speak english, unless they,ve worked in bangkok. all in all a very nice place to be, i,m thinking of moving up there full time in the near future.

That sounds very nice :o

I would like to go there sometime . I have heard that there are mountians and it actually get cool outside at times .

How long of a ride is it from Korat ?

But 14 farangs at one time .... way to many !

Take care ,

Jeff

It gets cool outside sometimes from the trees planted around the city. The beer places around 101 life music restaurant are open and also cool. No mountains to find. It is 2 hours from Korat. 300 foreigners live permanently in the province Roi-et. They all do their shopping in Lotus, Macro, Plaza but their houses are scattered 100km around this province. In night time you will see only a few foreigners in White Elephant and 101 (roi-et) restaurant.

Take a ride to the smiling :D:D city of Isaan.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E-mail me the URL for your website bc please

Ken Bower

[email protected]

I've lived in Surin since I left Pattaya 7years ago,and I have seen the changes here. From a one horse town it has turned into one of the most rapidly expanding towns/cities in Thailand. The number of Farangs moving into the area is something to behold as well.I get 4-5 requests on my web-site every week from people coming to Thailand and want to live in this area,as well as on average about 15 new customers every week that sign my visitors book. Now we have Makro,Big-C,Tesco/Lotus (rumours of Carrfourr)and two massive Home Mart being built on the  by-pass. Other things in the pipeline include a large new bus-station being built on the outskirts of town, a brand new regional airport to serve the area.,and a new two lane high way from Surin to Ankhor Wat.A new lighted sign has appeared in town,reading' Surin,the gateway to Indo-china'. Apart from all this,Surin is a delightful town to live in.

Got some questions?

Interested in what led up to the decisions to everyone's actually living in Isaan? I'd guess that about 90% of those living there full time are living in their wife's or girlfriend's hometown? And perhaps the other 10% actually travelled around Isaan and the rest of Thailand a lot B4 making their permanent location choice.

I read all 122 posts in this thread and it seems that there are some great places for different reasons. As my wife is from Chiayaphum, that is where we will retire in Oct.

Now, I would NEVER choose Chiayaphum as the "best city in Isaan" as there are few if any farangs (aside from a one legged German man I sure do NOT want to meet) living there and the creature comforts in the village outside the Muang where we will be looking offers few "creature comforts" but that IS where we will live. The primary reasons are this (perhaps the same reasons for others in this Forum).

#1 Lat has lived for the last 10 years here in the United States (San Antonio Texas and Yuma AZ) and many visits to Orange Co. California to visit with my'our kids and has been totally away from her family for over 11 mo.yr every year. With her father (the head monk of the village) and her mom both being rather elderly and in poor health, I just feel that I OWE it to her to spend the next 10 years or whatever time I have left at age 69 in Chiayaphum so she can be close to her family.

#2 We are living on a fixed income (my Army retirement pay and my Social Security checks) and we CAN live very well on that amount in Isaan, less well in Pattaya/Jomtien, even less well in Bangkok (which we both hate) and even less well in San Antonio or Yuma (my favorite two cities in the U.S. outside SoCal) and we sure could NEVER live in SoCal on our retirement pay.

Now we have agreed on a plan which I think is quite unique and workable to assure I never rot from lack of social contact with my farang/expat friends I've made on 35 trips to Thailand since 1971. We plan to spend two weeks in Chiayaphum every month and then spend the other two weeks visiting old and new friends all over Thailand (and visit all the places within Thailand that I/we have always wanted to visit). Since most of my/our friends live in Pattaya, a majority of the remaining two weeks of each month will probably be spent there, but I will be required to spend at least one night/mo. in Bangkok in order to take care of things at JUSMAGTHAI and to possibly visit whomever my newfound Prime Care Manager for health care is (as I am an incillin dependent diabetic with major arthritis problems and have had two major "heart events" including a double bypass back in 2002.)

I am interested in meeting up with other members living all areas of Isaan and the rest of Thailand in order to tour those areas with someone who knows the individual areas well.

Who knows how long I will live, but I think we'd all agree that living in LOS is preferable to living one's retirement years anywhere else.

We are non drinkers but certainly NOT prudes. We'd enjoy meeting up with other farangs/expats once we get settled in Chiayaphum once we get settled. Any member here that would be interested, please e-mail us bc at [email protected]

Ken/Rattana Bower

Soon to be permanent residents of Chiayaphum, Village II

After much thought i think i'll nominate Nong Khai for the beautiful scenery along the river and Laos only a stone's throw away.

You forgot the "breeze" report :o:D

Same for Mukdahan but far smaller city and no airport.

But it is next to the biggest Laos city, i.e. Savannaket, where there is an airport. And they say the airport could be used by both the Thai and the Lao people when the bridge between the 2 countries will have been completed.

hi every body

i have been reading your forum throu and it looks interesting and decided to join.

My first post will be on this thread as we are located in Korat me and my wife have traveled around thailand and find korat to be easy going and there are plenty of interesting places to visit.

i have also met afew lads english ,canadian ,austrlian and american in freinds bar

run by my freind robert all who seem to be relaxed and make you welcome.

until the next time

Welcome, opothai
i have also met  afew lads english ,canadian ,austrlian and american in freinds bar

And, just where is this bar run by robert and what is the name?

Mgnewman

thanks for the welcome

freinds is the name of the bar, and it is just inside the enterance to M in Korat which is an apartment block, i do not know the name of the small soi but if you come out of the bar and turn left there is a new bar called jacks

when i was over there a couple of weeks ago there was a new building just being finished of, that is on the corner of the small soi you must go down to get to roberts place.

Edited by opothai

Welcome, opothai
i have also met  afew lads english ,canadian ,austrlian and american in freinds bar

And, just where is this bar run by robert and what is the name?

Mgnewman

thanks for the welcome

freinds is the name of the bar, and it is just inside the enterance to M in Korat which is an apartment block, i do not know the name of the small soi but if you come out of the bar and turn left there is a new bar called jacks

when i was over there a couple of weeks ago there was a new building just being finished of, that is on the corner of the small soi you must go down to get to roberts place.

:o

I also feel the same about Korat! Lived there with my wife for 8 months and loved it! A tip for you visitors....A great little bar that I spent many hours in, is located on the lower floor of the Mall in Korat...Excellent music (live band), good food, fair drink prices and excellent service! Can't wait to get back there.

The manager also speaks very good English.

Welcome to TV opothai. Perhaps we'll see you at the Pasinee Restaurant (Mike's place) sometime. Or "Friends", as I agree it is also a nice place. Has a huge snooker table for people who like the game. And the owner, Robby (Robert) is indeed a friendly Canadian.

Mgnewman: "Friends" is located just down the street from the Pasinee heading in the direction of the train station. At the "V", you would veer right until you come to the "M" apartments. About a 3 or 4 minute minute walk from the Pasinee.

Welcome to TV opothai.  Perhaps we'll see you at the Pasinee Restaurant (Mike's place) sometime.  Or "Friends", as I agree it is also a nice place.  Has a huge snooker table for people who like the game.  And the owner, Robby (Robert) is indeed a friendly Canadian.

Mgnewman:  "Friends" is located just down the street from the Pasinee heading in the direction of the train station.  At the "V", you would veer right until you come to the "M" apartments.  About a 3 or 4 minute minute walk from the Pasinee.

hope to be back october time then maybe look at some new places, is the pasinee the korean wok restaurant ?if anybody goes to freinds say hello to robert for me and tell him i have delivered the letters to his sons

ps anybody play golf

hope to be back october time then maybe look at some new places, is the pasinee the korean wok restaurant ?if anybody goes to freinds say hello to robert for me and tell him i have delivered the letters to his sons

ps anybody play golf

The Pasinee Restaurant is a Lebanese Restaurant, owned/managed by a nice guy named Mike who is of Lebanese descent and also a citizen of Norway. His wife is Thai and they have a young son (just over a year old).

I'll pass on your regards to Robert next time I'm in "Friends".

I haven't played golf in quite a few years and never in Korat, though I understand there are a couple of nice courses. Still have my clubs though, so maybe by the time you return, I'll have tried them out in Korat.

ps anybody play golf

The Pasinee Restaurant is a Lebanese Restaurant, owned/managed by a nice guy named Mike who is of Lebanese descent and also a citizen of Norway. His wife is Thai and they have a young son (just over a year old).

I'll pass on your regards to Robert next time I'm in "Friends".

I haven't played golf in quite a few years and never in Korat, though I understand there are a couple of nice courses. Still have my clubs though, so maybe by the time you return, I'll have tried them out in Korat.

thanks ken

we stayed at m in korat for 5 weeks in dec jan this year and i cannot picture the pasinee, i too have not played golf on a regular basis, for about 18 months so should be interesting.

:o

I also feel the same about Korat! Lived there with my wife for 8 months and loved it! A tip for you visitors....A great little bar that I spent many hours in, is located on the lower floor of the Mall in Korat...Excellent music (live band), good food, fair drink prices and excellent service! Can't wait to get back there.

The manager also speaks very good English.

I agree , Thats where I like to go have a few warm one's after a hard day shopping . Maybe I have seen you there . There are alot of farang that go. Im not fond of the food though but the beer is 60 baht for a large Chang . Three of those and im a whole new person .

Im sure you have seen the crazy guy thats always there , speaks good english and french , always messing with the ladies . He's good for a few laughs... Hey , is that you ? :D

Edited by Jeff1

Call me crazy and maybe I should have read the thread subject header more closely, but are there any falangs out there who don't live in cities that have small towns or villages to recommend? My query would more aptly be titled: "Most Liveable Town or Village in the Isaan." I am particularly interested in the area of the Mekong between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai. :o

Let me try and put a positive spin on this:

The entire Isaan region is basically the same. Each town has an outdoor market, a wat or two, generally dirty streets and surroundings, possibly some busses to pollute the air and many places to buy beer and whiskey lao along with the drunks to drink it and gamble the days away. You may even get a Farang bar to pass the time away if your lucky.

Well one of the things that I have found about Issan is your description is extremly accurate, if that is what you want to make it, personally I have found many other things to keep me busy. There is golf, there is bowling if your in the right place, some places have farrang theatres. Traveling is inexpensive and there is a lot to see if you get out and do it. There are many places for camping and they are free. There is a lot to learn here, if you want to involve yourself. I do a lot of bike riding and there is a club Thia and Farrang that ride together. There are many resturants in most areas to try, But if your thing is to belly up to the bar, that is a very good description of Issan

What about Ubon Ratchatani? It has all the Issan ingredients for a sizeable city, with good air and rail links. Yet it still retains a 'small town' feel about it. And it takes barely 10 minutes to get out of the city and into the countryside. Yes, it may be dusty, and the pollution levels of some vehicles would exceed an entire year's environmental air quality target within just one journey, but it is Thai. Besides, its the people that count first and foremost, and in particular your reaction to them.

If you are polite and LISTEN, instead of trying to impose your values and foibles on to people, then you will find your quality of life improves dramatically.

What are you? An oak or a willow?

:D

but the beer is 60 baht for a large Chang .

Blimey................most of my customers would walk out if I charged that sort of money. :o

I'd walk out if you said " blimey " :D True it is more than most places but it is in the mall and very convienent...a little to much . Also as mentioned they have live bands and lots to look at , I mean good food .

I would love to come to your place but the ride home would be a bit#h .

Anyone want to meet up there on thursday ?

Edited by Jeff1

:D

but the beer is 60 baht for a large Chang .

Blimey................most of my customers would walk out if I charged that sort of money. :o

I'd walk out if you said " blimey " :D True it is more than most places but it is in the mall and very convienent...a little to much . Also as mentioned they have live bands and lots to look at , I mean good food .

I would love to come to your place but the ride home would be a bit#h .

Anyone want to meet up there on thursday ?

You missed it Jeff............we had the Koratonians and Khonkhenians T.V. p1ss-up last Thursday. Hav'nt you read about it. Your welcome anytime though.

"Blimey", Lampard and Jeff, you've got the quote thing so screwed up it's "easier" to just add a reply at this point. :D

Yes, Jeff, you missed a real nice pissup in Surin last week and a free lift in my truck. Though I left the window down that night at the hotel and it was full of mosquitos the next morning and now Mike may have caught "the fever". :o Just talked to Mike and he is feeling much better now, still tired but says he will soon be ready to hit the Pasinee for some "eye candy". :D

I am getting ready to motorcycle down to Korat this morning and will be at the Pasinee noonish. Won't make it to The Mall though, and don't think I will be in Korat tomorrow. Anyway, if you are around the Pasinee today..... :D :D :D

And the trouble with the "live bands" at the Mall....don't plan on doing much chatting as it's way too loud. Indeed the scenery is great.

"Blimey", Lampard and Jeff, you've got the quote thing so screwed up it's "easier" to just add a reply at this point. :D

Yes, Jeff, you missed a real nice pissup in Surin last week and a free lift in my truck.  Though I left the window down that night at the hotel and it was full of mosquitos the next morning and now Mike may have caught "the fever".  :o  Just talked to Mike and he is feeling much better now, still tired but says he will soon be ready to hit the Pasinee for some "eye candy". :D 

I am getting ready to motorcycle down to Korat this morning and will be at the Pasinee noonish.  Won't make it to The Mall though, and don't think I will be in Korat tomorrow.  Anyway, if you are around the Pasinee today..... :D :D  :D

And the trouble with the "live bands" at the Mall....don't plan on doing much chatting as it's way too loud.  Indeed the scenery is great.

I am sorry I missed it , it sounds like fun . Today , Ken , not sure if I can get away

I will try . I will take this time to say I have been busy lately due to our baby girl being born last Sunday . Her name is Tala ( I wanted to name her " NO " ) . She likes to sleep all day and cry all night ...Little bundle of joy , and something else that smells funny

I will take this time to say I have been busy lately due to our baby girl being born last Sunday . Her name is Tala ( I wanted to name her " NO " ) . She likes to sleep all day and cry all night ...Little bundle of joy , and something else that smells funny

Congratulations, Jeff. And to Missis Jeff.

Now, where's my cigar? :o

I will take this time to say I have been busy lately due to our baby girl being born last Sunday . Her name is Tala ( I wanted to name her " NO " ) . She likes to sleep all day and cry all night ...Little bundle of joy , and something else that smells funny

Congratulations, Jeff. And to Missis Jeff.

Now, where's my cigar? :o

Yeah........congratulations. Come on down and wet the babies head..............and arms.................and hands..............and legs.................and feet...............oh what the hill,cown down for a p1ss-up :D

I am sorry I missed it , it sounds like fun . Today , Ken , not sure if I can get away

I will try . I will take this time to say I have been busy lately due to our baby girl being born last Sunday . Her name is Tala ( I wanted to name her " NO " ) . She likes to sleep all day and cry all night ...Little bundle of joy , and something else that smells funny

Well a very big congrats on the new addition to your family. Tala.....sounds sweet. Yea, as "little bundles of joy" go, been there, done that and now better you than me. :D Hope you brought a box of decent cigars with you. Anyway, looking forward to a "catch up" while your're here. :D:o:D

Thanks guys . It means alot . I have not met any of you yet but still I think of you all as friends . This site has kept me company when I have to leave Thailand to go work in Chicago . Its like a little home away from home .

I should have picked up a box of cigars when I stayed in BKK for a night The sign says their hand rolled by beautiful ladies . Who has a picture of that ? :o