BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
The Mask

Most Liveable City In Isaan?

Surin has one thing that KhonKaen doesn't

"Adelaide Alkie"

"Adelaide Alkie"

He's returning to your neck of the woods early April. If he get's on the right plane, that is!

:o:D:D

"Adelaide Alkie"

He's returning to your neck of the woods early April. If he get's on the right plane, that is!

:D:D:D

Cause he'll get onthe right plane.I saw George buying the lead and collar yesterday :o

I spend most of my time about 50 kilometers south of Loei city but I also have a condo in Jomtien. In Jomtien the saltshakers clog up in about a day from the humidity year round. Here that doesn't happen.

For 'clog-free' salt shakers put a few grains of rice into the salt shaker. The rice absorbs the moisture...you only absorb the salt :o

Roi-et is growing slowly, Lotus is here, Makro opened 2 months ago, lots of farang food :o . They have some nice falang style estates like Cityrom. The falang community usually meets as from 6 pm at White Elephant Restaurant. Excellent european food :D and snooker, nice bar. Situated 50 meter from Roi et City hotel (4 star). Petcharad Garden hotel has very friendly service and a swimming pool with Restaurant and lots of shady trees. Roi et 101 Restaurant is 100 m from Petcharad with very good Thai food, 400 places :D and live music. Around there you can find cosy garden restaurants , dicsos , fancy styled bars with live music

The falang community in the Provence Roi et is 300 living here and 1200 married to Thai woman. Mainly English, German, Swiss. About 500 falang styled houses build here in this provence mainly in Roi et, Baan Chaan, Selaphum. Phanomprai. The governor here cares for the falang community and invites every year about 50 falang to take part in the Bun Pawen activities.

Very interested in your comments about houses. I have been coming here for a while now and will be moving here in about 2 months as my gf is a dentist and does not want to give up her job.

Have spent most of the time since Songkran looking at houses. However, the impression is that they are badly designed, often using cheap materials, constructed by a cowboy builder and within touching distance of the next property. I guess building regulations do not apply here! If you want me to be more specific just let me know. Consequently we have decided to rent a house and get a double brick one built to our design when we can locate a peice of land that has been properly surveyed.

Any information on a good builder will be appreciated and a legal guy who knows the ropes and can provide the paperwork in English.

Have also looked at houses in KKC but found them to be the worst while Maha Sarakham is abut the same as far as I can see.

Went to the White Elephant for dinner last year (Thai) but not impressed maybe they are better at European food, the guy there is German.

Stay in the Petcharat Garden Hotel when here but get bored with exactly the same food every morning for breakfast. It has very cheap room rate unlike the the Roi Et City Hotel and a pool and is only 20 baht by Tuk Tuk to the bank in the city.

Found the people are very friendly and can always pop into BKK by PB Air if KKC loses its appeal for shopping.

Edited by Anon999

When it's as warm as it is now the place to be is on the river in Nong Khai.

When it's as warm as it is now the place to be is on the river in Nong Khai.

For the first time I have to disagree with you, not on it,, in it LOL

I spend most of my time about 50 kilometers south of Loei city but I also have a condo in Jomtien. In Jomtien the saltshakers clog up in about a day from the humidity year round. Here that doesn't happen.

For 'clog-free' salt shakers put a few grains of rice into the salt shaker. The rice absorbs the moisture...you only absorb the salt :o

Tried that many times here in Pattaya. In my experience it makes no difference.

Nong Kai is a bit far for a river breeze.

Anything closer to Korat for a river breeze? :o

Nong Kai is a bit far for a river breeze.

Anything closer to Korat for a river breeze? :o

There's some fantastic places up in the hills between Korat and Sara Buri. Clean rivers/streams,loads of cataracts and waterfalls. Don't go at the weekends or school holidays though. There are also sun-flower fields,papaya plantations and vinyards in that area. If you turn north just past Chock Chai steak house you should find hidden Thailand.

"Adelaide Alkie"

Khon Kaen has the highest rate of liver disease in the world!!

Tell this guy that there is AA in Khon Kaen, then he can call himself Adelaide Abstainer :o .

"Adelaide Alkie"

Khon Kaen has the highest rate of liver disease in the world!!

Tell this guy that there is AA in Khon Kaen, then he can call himself Adelaide Abstainer :D .

Adelaide Alkie Abstain? :o:D:D:D

Heading up to Nong Khai tomorrow so i'll let you know if the breeze has any cooling affect. :o

Well I guess that bellying up to the bar was a part of my life for about three years, didn't like it. I don't judge other people for that, just not for me. Most of my friends drink on occasion as do I. Your right I don't fit into the Issan culuture and pretty much excepted the trade off I needed to make a life here. Not perfect but niether was life in the states. I was much lonier in the States working six and seven days a week, then I am here. My social life is much better here. I do have my moments of boredom as I am sure that everyone does. Each of us comes from different experiences. I do a lot of things here that I never have had time to do in the states. I get an urge for something that I want to eat the search is on, to find what I need to get what I want, then comes learning how to cook. One time and I get the wifes way, because as a norm she does it much better then I do. I have absolutely nothing to do and most days I don't have enough time to get it done. I can't say that I enjoy Issan people I can't speak to them, they may or may not be the greatest people in the world I have no idea. But I carved the nitch that I'm comfortable with. Is this for everyone NO!!!!!!!!!!! it's not. The one thing I do wish for you is that you find that nitch in your life that does the same for you.

Ladies oh yes, it's a good thing

Excellent reply... I had serious reservations about moving to Isan (Surin province.) It has been four years since I live here, and I feel very happy and have time to do things that I never had time to do before.

as my missus comes from buriram - i gotta ask- what about buriram- no one seems to have mentioned it