Help My Father Quit Smoking

Daisy11

My father is a heavy smoker. I tried to tell him how serious it is. But he never listens to me. I am very worried about his health. Recently, he agrees to have a try. But he asked me to find a very useful way to help him quit smoking. I only have one chance. So I have to seek for a very effective method to achieve my goal. My friend told me to try the brainwave tuner in iTunes Store to help my father. But I have never heard about it. Does it have side effect. The important point is does it really work. Thanks a lot.

Hi Daisy,

Getting a loved one to quit is quite a challenge. The more you complain the more it will seem like you are nagging him. This will only irritate him.

You need a more indirect strategy.

The simple truth is that no magic cure has ever "made" any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to immediate and lasting abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis, not acupuncture and not some over-the-counter nicotine product that teaches absolutely nothing.

It is not that cold turkey is the only way to quit it is just that cold turkey is the method which gives people the best chance of success. It is the method that all but a very small percentage of long-term ex-smokers in the world used to successfully quit smoking.

The best chance of you getting your Dad to stop smoking is to get him to want to stop himself and to do this he should want to understand his addiction and the effects by reading up on the topic. There are many “quit smoking” sites on the internet which will provide him with the self education information he needs to reach the decision that he doesn’t want to smoke any more.

Gently point him in the direction of these web sites, the rest can only be up to him.

I would suggest E Cigaretts, these are quite good, since they do not contain all the chemicals, but still contain nicotine. They still produce smoke but with no smell etc. so we smokers can still do our smoking without annoying our surroundings and also it helps the health a bit.. The nicotine level can be trimmed down so in the end you can still smoke but with no nicotine at all.

I would suggest E Cigaretts, these are quite good, since they do not contain all the chemicals, but still contain nicotine. They still produce smoke but with no smell etc. so we smokers can still do our smoking without annoying our surroundings and also it helps the health a bit.. The nicotine level can be trimmed down so in the end you can still smoke but with no nicotine at all.

What is the E cigarette??? I have never heard of them but I would like to know more and can you buy them in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

dont know if you have heard of the e-cigarettes? i've tried a few different things to quit, just like everyone else. patches didnt do it for me - couldnt shake the temptations and cravings of actually having a fag. the inhalator also didnt work for me either - the experience and feel of the thing is just too odd :S

been on the e-cigs for a little over a month now and it seems to be working out quite good so far. if you're not familiar with them, its basically an electronic fag. looks like a fag, lights up like a fag, creates smoke like a fag and gives you a good dose of nicotine. must admit, it did feel a tad weird at first, but its actually like a replacement. tastes a little sweet, which is fine by me, also i live in the uk, so it fits in with our smoking ban, and i can smoke it anywhere.

got a leaflet let on my car windscreen by trendycig (their website is trendycig . co .uk). flyer said half price trial with a this code - HTPT2009.

went to the site, put in the code got my e-cig and a months refills for half price and just received my 2nd months refills. it goes on month by month, untill i cancel it. i'll keep you posted on progress, but seems good so far, great little alternative to smoking over ten a day, and a heck of a lot cheaper aswell.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Daisy,

Getting a loved one to quit is quite a challenge. The more you complain the more it will seem like you are nagging him. This will only irritate him.

The simple truth is that no magic cure has ever "made" any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to immediate and lasting abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis, not acupuncture and not some over-the-counter nicotine product that teaches absolutely nothing.

It is not that cold turkey is the only way to quit it is just that cold turkey is the method which gives people the best chance of success. It is the method that all but a very small percentage of long-term ex-smokers in the world used to successfully quit smoking.

The best chance of you getting your Dad to stop smoking is to get him to want to stop himself and to do this he should want to understand his addiction and the effects by reading up on the topic. There are many "quit smoking" sites on the internet which will provide him with the self education information he needs to reach the decision that he doesn't want to smoke any more.

Gently point him in the direction of these web sites, the rest can only be up to him.

Thanks for your nice advice. i have got a lot from your words. i will let my father browse online and seach for some useful information for himself. Now we are trying snake oil and brainwave tuner. My father said those two has some effect. he will try to insist on using them. maybe it is a piece of good news.

i don't know E Cigaretts,either. Have you try it before? sound interesting. maybe i should buy some for my father. He may like it since it has same features with real cigarets.

dont know if you have heard of the e-cigarettes? i've tried a few different things to quit, just like everyone else. patches didnt do it for me - couldnt shake the temptations and cravings of actually having a fag. the inhalator also didnt work for me either - the experience and feel of the thing is just too odd :S

been on the e-cigs for a little over a month now and it seems to be working out quite good so far. if you're not familiar with them, its basically an electronic fag. looks like a fag, lights up like a fag, creates smoke like a fag and gives you a good dose of nicotine. must admit, it did feel a tad weird at first, but its actually like a replacement. tastes a little sweet, which is fine by me, also i live in the uk, so it fits in with our smoking ban, and i can smoke it anywhere.

got a leaflet let on my car windscreen by trendycig (their website is trendycig . co .uk). flyer said half price trial with a this code - HTPT2009.

went to the site, put in the code got my e-cig and a months refills for half price and just received my 2nd months refills. it goes on month by month, untill i cancel it. i'll keep you posted on progress, but seems good so far, great little alternative to smoking over ten a day, and a heck of a lot cheaper aswell.

Amazing. Good. i decide to buy some for my father. from your discription, i think it is magical. if i get it, E-cigs,snake oil, brainwave tuner,traditional medicine may works well. Hope so.

As a none smoker, like me, I know that Smoking is not good for the Body, And it has been proved by medical science undisputed, But every one has free will ,you will not convince a smoker that it is no good just the same as a smoker will not convince a none smoker about Smoking,,I have just watched my Mother Die on Thursday the 8th Oct, She had been a smoker for maybe 60 years, I tried to get through to her to give up Smoking for the last 20 years , Even when she was on Inhalers and could not breath very easily, she would still have a fag, as Smokers call it,The amount of times I tried to convince her,All i would get is a blank look,She even tried to hide that she had been smoking, she would say "i have not had a fag today" , But being a none smoker and never smoked , I can smell tobacco a mile away, Just like when i go out for a drink ,I come home and i can smell tobacco residue on my cloths,For the last year she has been struggling to breath, she has had numerous strokes caused by the hardening of the arteries in the hart through years of smoking.She got out of bed on the Morning of Friday the 2nd of October,She had had a stroke in her sleep again .She lives alone and had a panic button, She lay on the floor for two or three hours trying to summon up enough strength to push the button to get assistance,She managed to do it, The Ambulance came an took her to hospital,She never really regained conscienceless, she would just open her eyes and look around not really recognizing anybody because of the damage to her brain caused by the stroke ,Through smoking, She struggled on for a week slipping in and out of conciseness her breathing labored, I went to see her on Thursday night (The 8th) to give my sister and brother time to go home and get something to eat and shower as they had been there all night and day, Because we were told that she could slip away any time and we did not want her to die alone. They were only gone maybe 10 minutes,My Mother opened her eyes and looked at me, i told her she was OK and that i was there with her ,She started to cough a little bit and stopped breathing , She died as i was stroking her hair,I hope Nobody goes through that its not good , Thats what smoking does. Months maybe years of breathing problems and blood circulation problems , and at the end a terrible death, Just thought i would try to let Smokers know whats in store for them , But like i said I will not convince smokers. I would not appreciate any flaming Please as This is totally true, Thanks ,

My father is a heavy smoker. I tried to tell him how serious it is. But he never listens to me. I am very worried about his health. Recently, he agrees to have a try. But he asked me to find a very useful way to help him quit smoking. I only have one chance. So I have to seek for a very effective method to achieve my goal. My friend told me to try the brainwave tuner in iTunes Store to help my father. But I have never heard about it. Does it have side effect. The important point is does it really work. Thanks a lot.

I was smoking for over 25 years. The book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" By Allen Carr helped me quit without any problem. It's over an year now, since I quit.

First, ask him to make up his mind to quit - then read the book.

Hope to hear the good news soon - Good Luck!!!

He has got to want to quit.

From my experience and everyone is different ,I had to go Cold turkey I had tried all the magic nonsense nicorete etc and nothing worked.

Just educate the man on what to expect . why quit .com is pretty good for that.

Apart from being a total git for the first week it was bearable after a while, two and a half years later and the thought of smoking makes me want to vomit.

Also bear in mind some real old folk dont get any real benefit from quitting the damage is done already, sad but true.

Bottom line if he dosent want to he wont...it must be his decision and will power

As a none smoker, like me, I know that Smoking is not good for the Body, And it has been proved by medical science undisputed, But every one has free will ,you will not convince a smoker that it is no good just the same as a smoker will not convince a none smoker about Smoking,,I have just watched my Mother Die on Thursday the 8th Oct, She had been a smoker for maybe 60 years, I tried to get through to her to give up Smoking for the last 20 years , Even when she was on Inhalers and could not breath very easily, she would still have a fag, as Smokers call it,The amount of times I tried to convince her,All i would get is a blank look,She even tried to hide that she had been smoking, she would say "i have not had a fag today" , But being a none smoker and never smoked , I can smell tobacco a mile away, Just like when i go out for a drink ,I come home and i can smell tobacco residue on my cloths,For the last year she has been struggling to breath, she has had numerous strokes caused by the hardening of the arteries in the hart through years of smoking.She got out of bed on the Morning of Friday the 2nd of October,She had had a stroke in her sleep again .She lives alone and had a panic button, She lay on the floor for two or three hours trying to summon up enough strength to push the button to get assistance,She managed to do it, The Ambulance came an took her to hospital,She never really regained conscienceless, she would just open her eyes and look around not really recognizing anybody because of the damage to her brain caused by the stroke ,Through smoking, She struggled on for a week slipping in and out of conciseness her breathing labored, I went to see her on Thursday night (The 8th) to give my sister and brother time to go home and get something to eat and shower as they had been there all night and day, Because we were told that she could slip away any time and we did not want her to die alone. They were only gone maybe 10 minutes,My Mother opened her eyes and looked at me, i told her she was OK and that i was there with her ,She started to cough a little bit and stopped breathing , She died as i was stroking her hair,I hope Nobody goes through that its not good , Thats what smoking does. Months maybe years of breathing problems and blood circulation problems , and at the end a terrible death, Just thought i would try to let Smokers know whats in store for them , But like i said I will not convince smokers. I would not appreciate any flaming Please as This is totally true, Thanks ,

Sorry to hear that. My tears rolled down unconsciously when i read your story. it is really very suffering to see a loved one leave us.

My father's health is geting worse and worse now. he coughed badly when the weather becomes cloudy or the temperature was low. i know all of these are caused by his long time smoking. i know the process of quit smoking is a torture to him. But i should help him. Because i love him. now we are trying E Cigarettes, barinwave tuner, and i decide to but that book for him. we are confident and positive about the testing result.

He has got to want to quit.

From my experience and everyone is different ,I had to go Cold turkey I had tried all the magic nonsense nicorete etc and nothing worked.

Just educate the man on what to expect . why quit .com is pretty good for that.

Apart from being a total git for the first week it was bearable after a while, two and a half years later and the thought of smoking makes me want to vomit.

Also bear in mind some real old folk dont get any real benefit from quitting the damage is done already, sad but true.

Bottom line if he dosent want to he wont...it must be his decision and will power

you said it is harmful to quit smoking? but our doctor told us it will not. i am confused. so can you tell me what damage will be. maybe i should reconsider our quiting plan. thanks.

It has been a while since my father decided to quit smoking. we had a hard time in this short period. he read "The Easy Way to Quit " and listened to the special sounds of Brainwave tuner. And do excerises. sometimes, he will take E cigarettes. But seldom.

• 5 months later...
Hi Daisy,

The simple truth is that no magic cure has ever "made" any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to immediate and lasting abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis,

It was for me. One 55 minute hypnosis session in 1993 and I haven't smoked since.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the patches, gum, and e-cigarettes: giving someone nicotine to help them to kick the addiction to nicotine is like giving heroin to a junkie to help them kick. It's just stupid.

Get him to smoke herbal cigarettes. They have no tobacco, therefore no nicotine. They are non-addictive. He can keep the habit going with no reward. When that cycle ends he will easily stop smoking the herbals. If he gets a craving for a cigarette, he just has an herbal. You can get them at a tobacconist's.