Nice Smoked Salmon:

jasreeve17

I was just enjoying my smoked salmon snack, so I thought I'd share it with you, so to speak.

I pick up 100g packets of DeiMax 'superior Norwegian Smoked Salmon' from the freezer section at makro - 89 baht. I've been buying half a dozen at a time and putting them in my freezer. They take 10 minutes to defrost at room temperature.

The taste is really quite pleasant, and pretty low cost. The similar option from Foodland (which isn't so expensive a store) is 179 baht. I bought some packets from one of the expensive Delis at Paragon (250 baht for 100g, I think); it was no better than the Makro smoked salmon.

I was just enjoying my smoked salmon snack, so I thought I'd share it with you, so to speak.

I pick up 100g packets of DeiMax 'superior Norwegian Smoked Salmon' from the freezer section at makro - 89 baht. I've been buying half a dozen at a time and putting them in my freezer. They take 10 minutes to defrost at room temperature.

The taste is really quite pleasant, and pretty low cost. The similar option from Foodland (which isn't so expensive a store) is 179 baht. I bought some packets from one of the expensive Delis at Paragon (250 baht for 100g, I think); it was no better than the Makro smoked salmon.

The Norwegian one you speak of, is that the one in the white and blue pack? If so I agree, best of the lot. Way better than Foodlands own brand.

The Norwegian one you speak of, is that the one in the white and blue pack? If so I agree, best of the lot. Way better than Foodlands own brand.

I'm not sure - I thought it was black and gold. I'll look out for the white and blue pack to give it a try. I see a blind taste test coming on; need the missus to help me, but not sure I'd wanna be blindfolded with her around... :)

It is the deli max / superior Norwegian Smoked Salmon Black & Gold .. 89 baht, i am having some for lunch !

I use to go to Narai hotel / they have a lot of oversea Norwegian and in the night buffet, smoked salmon ..

when the price was 340 baht it was good value for 10 plates of it..

Edited by simcity

That seems like a good price for smoked salmon. Unfortunately, Pattaya doesn't have a Makro (yet?).

My favourite way to eat this tasty treat is on a toasted bagel with cream cheese and a bit of lemon juice on top of it. Very yummy. Otherwise, it's good on some small pieces of French bread.

It is the deli max / superior Norwegian Smoked Salmon Black & Gold .. 89 baht, i am having some for lunch !

I use to go to Narai hotel / they have a lot of oversea Norwegian and in the night buffet, smoked salmon ..

How was it simcity (the Delimax)?

Edited by jasreeve17

How was it simcity (the Delimax)?

yes, it is good..

been bying it for few years :)

forget to said before was 99 baht (i think)

Edited by simcity

BAD NEWS:

Makro/Chonburi does NOT have this available, checked yesterday...

-Michael

We all know that when moving to Thailand there are many things that we have to live without that were readily available in our home country. Then all of the sudden, after many years we happen to find it at macro or somewhere else. Smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods and I waited many years (22) to enjoy it again, and I did, once (except a couple times in Bkk)...now there will be no more at Macro thanks to your post. Yesterday I witnessed a farang with a full basket of the stuff after looking in the frozen food section where there weren't any more.....I hope you enjoyed yours cause you probably won't get any more (from macro).

Although I do find a lot of useful information on this forum, tips like this one I do not....

JRinger,

Just back from Makro with half a dozen packets - don't worry the freezer still had several hundred packets for others to chooses from; 89 baht.

I'm just doing my bit to keep the sales going and thus the stocks up. Very often I find something I like at Makro or Foodland, but after a few weeks it's not available anymore. When I check with the manager they tell me that the demand isn't high enough... :)

we buy 100's of kilos of norwegian salmon and only pay 470 THB/kilo. So Makro still makes a BIG margin on the salmon and they may even get it at a better price than us.

Are you buying your 100 kilo pack per 100 grams

if you sell it, how much you charge for 100 grams

i presum it is for restaurant

• 1 month later...

Is this 'Norweigan' salmon actually coming from Norway?

I seem to remember when I shopped at Carrefour they had raw salmon marked as 'Norwegian' and when I asked where it came from they said it was farmed in Thailand. I think it came from a farm beginning with 'S', cannot remember the full name but they have a display in Carrefour of varied farmed fish.

jrbkk64, where do you get your wholesale supply from?

Edited by Ossies