English People, Whats The Difference Between An Indian Curry In The Uk And One In Thailand?

sbk

^Boring menu and Star of Asia would walk circles around that place. As I stated before this is run by real indians.... Sikh(s) I stay away from Paki or Bangladesh run restaurants, crap food and service is horrid.

Come back to me when you've had a real indian!! :)

Sounds good, do you have a link?

I will tell you what I think based on reading your posts over the years. Someone could hand feed you the best plate of Indian food in the history of the planet and you would say that is marvelous, and then if you were told it is from America, you would say, oops, it is actually drek.

Edited by Jingthing

anglo indian curries etc are usually served with more of a base sauce than traditonal indian cuisine which can be dryer dishes, infact most anglo indian curries are prepared by bangladeshis in the uk

traditional indian cuisine can (imo) be more like a home cooked meal than a mass produced food e.g the base sauce

whgen i was last in thailand i heard rave reviews about fawlty towers in either soi 6/8 i didn't visit that area too much though and when i decided on giving it a try i was informed that they'd sold out of curries lol...i took that as a good sign and made a point of returning only to be told they'd ceased making indian food lol

off tangent but is the guy still selling the kebabs around that area? i forget which soi but i think it was soi 8, he had a regular stall about half way up near a hotel(next to the underground carpark) ...back when there were more tourists about and the £ was stronger he used to only work a few hours a night as the kebabs were so popular :)

^what you saying I have anti-yank bias? :)

...yeah, brit...he's sayin' yer fulla shit... :D

(tutsi can't help but t'stir it up... :D )

as someone mentioned, if yer not english ye gotta be careful what you say about their national cuisine as there will be a predictable response...just like when anyone criticises the tex-mex or Californian versions of mexican food insults are hurled, execrations howled, etc...

meself I like english curries mostly because they are cheap and widely available and preferable to pizza and KFC. I had indian food in California a few times but was put off by the price and high falutin ambience...

bon apetit...

^what you saying I have anti-yank bias? :)

Only you can answer that (obvious) question.

Anyway, I feel for you, limey dude, because if someone told me they could get a world class Mission District style burrito in London or Prague or even Boston I wouldn't really believe them unless I could TASTE IT MYSELF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

Edited by Jingthing

Anglocentric to think the best curry of the world is english...

From a recent poll, the most eaten dish in England is spaghetti bolognese. :)

Of corse doing (the real) in my restaurants, sometime english customers look not so happy. Never asked why.

Maybe different from the kind english eat in their home country?

OK, I still don't really understand the answer to the OP's question.

In my experience I have had good and bad curries in:

England

Thailand

USA

Canada

and never had a bad curry in Singapore (but I am sure they are out there).

Of course India has many regional cooking styles, not just north and south, and some of those are found outside India. To complicate matters, westerners quite often batch Pakistani cooking and cooks together with Indian. Not a big problem as Pakistani cooking can be fantastic.

Almost all of the dishes people list as essential to English curries (EXCEPT BALTIS) are also easily found elsewhere, so again, what's the difference?

I agree the MEAT and PRODUCE is better in some countries. In Thailand of course its hard to get good lamb. In California, the meat is good and the fresh produce is brilliant. I also agree that competition and a big market for a type of food increases the chances of exceptional ones coming forward. However, sorry for British chauvinists, this dynamic also exists in other countries with big demand for Indian food, including some US cities where there are large populations of bona fide Indians.

Bottom line, based on my limited knowledge of the Brit curry scene, the main difference from the rest of the Indian food eating world is the BALTIS. Also, I think for Brits CURRIES are their local most popular option for a spicy fix serving the same function as Mexican food for Americans (with Thai probably being runner up). In that sense curries are a bigger part of the popular culture there.

Oh, what again are onion barges? I asked before but not answered: do you mean onion bhajis?

Another question to the Brits. Do you reckon you have the best Indian food because India was once your colony? Then does that mean you have the best American food as well?

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 months later...