Would You Live In Chumphon?

jatiedt

Hello, I was offered a job in Chumphon and was wondering what it was like to life there? Like, is there any night life or are there many expats there? Also what kind of things are there to do, diving, hiking, or other outdoor activiteis, maybe surfing? Also what is the cost of living like? Thanks for your help.

JT-

Hello, I was offered a job in Chumphon and was wondering what it was like to life there? Like, is there any night life or are there many expats there? Also what kind of things are there to do, diving, hiking, or other outdoor activiteis, maybe surfing? Also what is the cost of living like? Thanks for your help.

JT-

off-shore work or marine industry work, your work, i mean.

chumpon is basically a fishing village of sort but it is definitely livable and not so commercial like pattaya. farangs do live there but mostly holiday elsewhere . nice beaches here and there and nice folks too.

JT-

off-shore work or marine industry work, your work, i mean.

chumpon is basically a fishing village of sort but it is definitely livable and not so commercial like pattaya. farangs do live there but mostly holiday elsewhere . nice beaches here and there and nice folks too.

If you like a quiet life, no-one to talk to...no pretty girls... no bars of any consequence, dirty dogs, no smart clean restuarants.....welcome to Chumpon.

If you like a quiet life, no-one to talk to...no pretty girls... no bars of any consequence, dirty dogs, no smart clean restuarants.....welcome to Chumpon.

It does have Papa2000 Disco (well it did in 2004) which I consider to be the best disco in the world (from my one time reference)... I really like Chumpon, seems to be real world Thai without being too small... Southern Thailand seems a lot more liveable for a farrang that Issarn for example...

Cheers,

Daewoo

It does have Papa2000 Disco (well it did in 2004) which I consider to be the best disco in the world (from my one time reference)... I really like Chumpon, seems to be real world Thai without being too small... Southern Thailand seems a lot more liveable for a farrang that Issarn for example...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Definetely the best disco in the universe for me too after only visit in 2003-2004?. Very nice town, nice cheap food, decent folks. Hope to visit again but like to know if Papa2000's still there.

Definetely the best disco in the universe for me too after only visit in 2003-2004?. Very nice town, nice cheap food, decent folks. Hope to visit again but like to know if Papa2000's still there.

Yes, still here but has relocated next to the railway station. If you are a real Hellraiser I would forget it. However, if not being told how hansum you are every 10 seconds does not bother you, yes, give it a whirl. It does grow on you. Neither myself or any other foreigner living here I know would want to live anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously written by somebody who has either never been there or spent any time there! Chumphon is one of the nicest paces in thailand to live. It has everything you can ask of Thailand. Very nice people, excellent beaches, great diving and snorkelling, Very cheap accom, not full of up their own bottoms farang and has good access to the rest of thailand. I have been to every part of Thailand and lived in a few. Chumphon wins hands down for everything. The diving there is amazing and you get to dive alone without 10-15 other dive boats spewing divers into the water unlike Koh Tao.

I had a 3 bed, 3 bathroomed detached house with a good sizes garden on a private estate which had a swimming pool all for 5000 baht month. Some excellent restaraunts serving some of the best Thai food I have ever eaten and a few farang friendly bars for a cold beer or two. What more do you want ?

If you were offered a job there and you like Thailand jump at the chance. It is the undiscovered jewel of Southern Thailand

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I love the unspoilt beaches there, and I hear its great for diving but I don't know about long term. People certainly are nice.

seconded some great empty unspoilt beaches I recently grabbed a local fisherman who took me over to the islands just me him and the wife 1000 baht all day including lunch a kind of private tour, long may it stay that way.

• 3 months later...

I was recently offered a teaching job there myself, and I am seriously considering taking it. I don't need wild nights out. I just need one bar with good beer and friendly locals to be happy. Also, someone earlier mentioned a very nice apartment for 5000 baht a month. Since I'll be moving there, I'd love the information on that place. Does it have a website I could take a gander at?

• 3 months later...

I was recently offered a teaching job there myself, and I am seriously considering taking it. I don't need wild nights out. I just need one bar with good beer and friendly locals to be happy. Also, someone earlier mentioned a very nice apartment for 5000 baht a month. Since I'll be moving there, I'd love the information on that place. Does it have a website I could take a gander at?

My mate and I drove our Motorbikes from Chiang Mai to Chumphon and we stayed in town at the Chumphon garden hotel which was excellent for 500 baht between us anyway just over the road is a couple of farang bars that cater to backpackers overnighting there before heading to the islands the next day so there are a couple of farang bars to hang out at but its not a wild town by any means.

I really wish I had done my homework as I missed all those great beaches and diving ops but no worrys i am planning on heading to Chumphon again and may look at opening a small dive shop and guesthouse there on the beach.

Looks a nice little town with everything you might need

• 1 month later...

Chumpon is a nice place....but the beaches are a bit boring though :-)

Nice empty beaches, but in my experience its probably because they are infested with sandflies as I found out to my cost, ended up having to visit hospital to get meds.

Over 100 bites in an hour :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

well i guess if you looking for a Pattaya type scene and want to piss it up every night with ladies, then please stay away from Chumphon, We dont need people like you. This is an awesome place with amazing beaches just 10 mins from the town, Tung wa laen beach has about 7 beach bars which also serve great food and also western foods. It has great guesthouses on the beach, it is peaceful and quiet. There is lots to do here Diving, snorkelling, Kite surfing, fishing, Kayaking. The Mali Blues bar plays Live music every night Rock, Blues, Reggae. I live in a Guesthouse with a huge room and balcony A/C, Satellie TV, Refridgerator, king size bed and its serviced , Free WIFi in my room for THB 5000/month. The food is also cheap and amazing.If you know what to order you will love it. There are enough westerners around that are relaxed and cool, we always have a great Friday/ Saturday night out at the beach bars. Plus the town of Cumphon is 15 mins away by local yellow taxi for THB30 stops all along the beach. they have a KFC and Doughnut shop, Pizza company in Ocean shopping mall, to get your Fastfood fix if you want. The cost of living here is cheap. Plus you have easy access to the islands if you want to party, from Chumphon pier.

If you dont want to get bitten by mosquitoes then please spray repellent on you, when you go out at night ,it costs just THB50. Then you wont need to go to hospital. I dont have a problem with them mosquitoes, and they are not has bad.

If you want a nice place to live and work with pleasant, nice thai people. this is it !!

If anyone needs any help or info email me on [email protected] or add me to Msn

Cheers

James

Sept 2010

"If you dont want to get bitten by mosquitoes then please spray repellent on you, when you go out at night ,it costs just THB50. Then you wont need to go to hospital. I dont have a problem with them mosquitoes, and they are not has bad."

Hi James

Welcome to Thai Visa and I enjoyed your comments about Chumphon but I must point out that the poster complaining about bites was not talking about mosquitos, he was referring to the sandflies which infest the beaches from October through to January and let me tell you that there's a big difference between them and mosquitos.

Sandfly bites are a real menace and spoil a day on the beach so much that you are unlikely to want to return there. The americans call the insect "noseeums" because of their size and you hardly feel their bite. But within 1hr the itching that follows is incessant and lasts for about 3-4 weeks. You will feel feverish and weak the following day and your muscles will feel impossibly tight for about a week wherever they have bitten you. The infection will ooze and itch and you only infect it more by scratching them. The scars they leave can last for years.

There is no repellant that works with sandflies that I know of and the only thing to do is avoid them and their breeding areas. So take heed of those that have been to Chumphon and suffered the beaches and you might save yourself the pleasure of their company.

JAF

• 2 weeks later...

"If you dont want to get bitten by mosquitoes then please spray repellent on you, when you go out at night ,it costs just THB50. Then you wont need to go to hospital. I dont have a problem with them mosquitoes, and they are not has bad."

Hi James

Welcome to Thai Visa and I enjoyed your comments about Chumphon but I must point out that the poster complaining about bites was not talking about mosquitos, he was referring to the sandflies which infest the beaches from October through to January and let me tell you that there's a big difference between them and mosquitos.

Sandfly bites are a real menace and spoil a day on the beach so much that you are unlikely to want to return there. The americans call the insect "noseeums" because of their size and you hardly feel their bite. But within 1hr the itching that follows is incessant and lasts for about 3-4 weeks. You will feel feverish and weak the following day and your muscles will feel impossibly tight for about a week wherever they have bitten you. The infection will ooze and itch and you only infect it more by scratching them. The scars they leave can last for years.

There is no repellant that works with sandflies that I know of and the only thing to do is avoid them and their breeding areas. So take heed of those that have been to Chumphon and suffered the beaches and you might save yourself the pleasure of their company.

JAF

Obviously written by somebody who has either never been there or spent any time there! Chumphon is one of the nicest paces in thailand to live. It has everything you can ask of Thailand. Very nice people, excellent beaches, great diving and snorkelling, Very cheap accom, not full of up their own bottoms farang and has good access to the rest of thailand. I have been to every part of Thailand and lived in a few. Chumphon wins hands down for everything. The diving there is amazing and you get to dive alone without 10-15 other dive boats spewing divers into the water unlike Koh Tao.

I had a 3 bed, 3 bathroomed detached house with a good sizes garden on a private estate which had a swimming pool all for 5000 baht month. Some excellent restaraunts serving some of the best Thai food I have ever eaten and a few farang friendly bars for a cold beer or two. What more do you want ?

If you were offered a job there and you like Thailand jump at the chance. It is the undiscovered jewel of Southern Thailand

I love it down there. I'v Spent several weeks just cruising around in our car and checking out various places in the area. Beautiful for sure.

I guess it depends on what you want. If it is a quiet life, good beaches, no farangs, etc. Then perfect! If you want to head into the city every once in a while for some shopping, watch a movie, listen to some jazz, eat at a top notch restaurant, or catch up with your friends and play a game of pool at a first class billiards hall...then it is probably not your cup of tea. As they say, "up to you"!

Southern girls may not generally be light in complexion... but not pretty??

Attached was snapped at a very local monk party in Chumphon... stage was set up inside a jungle-like suburb.

Everyone at the party knew each other... the dancing girls (one of which is pictured) were local as well.

If you are addicted to city nightlife, it may seem boring.

If you like a smaller town, and nearby jungle environment, you might like it.

Looked nice to me. People were very friendly.

post-62785-080568900 1286081665_thumb.jp

post-62785-070940300 1286081676_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

JAF

what about coconut oil?

I guess it depends on what you want. If it is a quiet life, good beaches, no farangs, etc. Then perfect! If you want to head into the city every once in a while for some shopping, watch a movie, listen to some jazz, eat at a top notch restaurant, or catch up with your friends and play a game of pool at a first class billiards hall...then it is probably not your cup of tea. As they say, "up to you"!

you mean to suggest that there are no shopping or restaurants nearby?

I'm possibly going to migrate from patong beach down to Chumphon or Chang Mai and wanted to know more information about chumphon. My top priority is high speed internet. I already own Cat CDMA. I will check with the local office, but would be interested in knowing other's experience with private internet.

Also, i am looking for the basics (from my point of view)<br clear="all">

refridgerator

air condition

hot water

electric

high speed internet

close to shopping center (like lotus, big c, etc) (under 10 km, if possible)

visa run service

motorbike rent/buy

any specifics you can provide would be helpful.

JAF

what about coconut oil?

you mean to suggest that there are no shopping or restaurants nearby?

I'm possibly going to migrate from patong beach down to Chumphon or Chang Mai and wanted to know more information about chumphon. My top priority is high speed internet. I already own Cat CDMA. I will check with the local office, but would be interested in knowing other's experience with private internet.

Also, i am looking for the basics (from my point of view)<br clear="all">

refridgerator

air condition

hot water

electric

high speed internet

close to shopping center (like lotus, big c, etc) (under 10 km, if possible)

visa run service

motorbike rent/buy

any specifics you can provide would be helpful.

Got a few friends living in Chumpon. They all have hot showers, fridges and everything else you mention. It's certainly not a village. I visit there as often as I can - it's a bit of "real Thailand", a far cry from Phuket. As for living there..... Possibly gonna move there in a few years