Miso And Agar Agar

MisterMan

Hi I am trying out some "raw recipies" that call for all sorts of things I will never find in Thailand.

However agar is one of the ingredients. What is it called in Thai? And where can I find some without any thing else mixed in (like the usual suspects, MSG and Sugar).

Also can I buy miso here?

Thanks

MM

Agar agar is a seaweed based gelatin. I have seen it in Lotus, Big C, etc. It is usually near the baking items and gelatins. It is grayish brown kind of semi transparent chunks. There is also a granulated form in theses store. Not sure about the additives that may or may not be in either. Not much different than gelatin (non flavored). A mostly Chinese food store should have it as well. My wife uses it to make a sweet coconut gelatin type dessert. The granulated powder packets have Agar Agar in English on them but I don't know the Thai words.

Miso depends on what form you want. The above stores have some miso soup powder but I don't recall seeing the miso paste (yellowish brown to yellowish cream in color) which you can make real miso soup from, as opposed to the instant powder. The section in Carrefour that has the Japanese foo imports may have it, located near the first row of refrigerated/frozen food shelves. The bag is clear and can see the paste inside if they have it. It looks kind of like a yellow curry paste.

Edit 2: the Thai word is "wóon" per wikipedia. All part of the service.

Edited by mmcsusnret

"Agar agar is a seaweed based gelatin."

Sorry to be pedantic but.......Agar agar is a coagulant made from seaweed, whereas gelatin is a coagulant made from animal bones.

In culinary terms they both serve the same function. The only real advantage in using agar agar is if you happen to be vegetarian.

Gelatin is widely available, just look in the cake making section in any minimart or supermarket.

Tops sells a perfectly edible brand of miso which is made in Thailand for the Japanese expat community. It is considerably cheaper than the imported stuff.

Hope this helps