Which School In Bangkok Is The Best

whichschool

I am interested to find out which school is best in Bangkok for a 4 year old to hopefully stay until she is 18.

Ive looked at ISB - International School Bangkok which has a good reputation but one thing that put me off is there are limited places for Thai/Thai kids, and as my kid will be raised in Thailand i'd sooner she were around majority Thai kids, which it seems to my surprise this international school doesnt cater for.

Im making good money in the O&G industry so am willing to spend pretty much whatever it takes for the best school, if anyone can give advice on which school is widely accepted as the best by Thais in BKK id appreciate it, and an rough idea on what the costs are.

Check out Bangkok Patana school. I completed high school there, and one thing that always annoyed me was the abundance of Thai students... around 40-50%... We don't want too many slowing down your kids now aye. When I say that I mean it, the amount of wealthy Thais that came in for high school only was retarded. Especially seeing as their English Second language program for our year group was already full of international students.

Edited by aussiejosh

I am interested to find out which school is best in Bangkok for a 4 year old to hopefully stay until she is 18.

Ive looked at ISB - International School Bangkok which has a good reputation but one thing that put me off is there are limited places for Thai/Thai kids, and as my kid will be raised in Thailand i'd sooner she were around majority Thai kids, which it seems to my surprise this international school doesnt cater for.

Im making good money in the O&G industry so am willing to spend pretty much whatever it takes for the best school, if anyone can give advice on which school is widely accepted as the best by Thais in BKK id appreciate it, and an rough idea on what the costs are.

The cultural point of the international school is to provide a culturally international environment; it would be defeating the purpose if a majority of the students were Thai and therefore spent most of their social or even academic time using Thai to communicate with each other (which is what inevitably happens in any Thai-majority program, no matter how well-funded or respectable). No doubt if these rules were changed ISB would be nearly 100% Thai, but that would simply mean another international school with such rules would have to be created. Some parents who wish their children to have more fundamental Thai connections avoid such schools for exactly that reason (as if you wish your child to do well in the Thai world the social connections are crucial).

My kid is at St Andrews in Phra Kanong - they have a good mix of kids from all nationalities and quite a few Thai kids too.

Best thing to do is go & visit a few places. I actually used to live in Nichida Thani close to ISB & their students define the ex-pat-brat in my opinion !

The cultural point of the international school is to provide a culturally international environment; it would be defeating the purpose if a majority of the students were Thai and therefore spent most of their social or even academic time using Thai to communicate with each other (which is what inevitably happens in any Thai-majority program, no matter how well-funded or respectable). No doubt if these rules were changed ISB would be nearly 100% Thai, but that would simply mean another international school with such rules would have to be created.

Now you say it like that it makes sense.

Some parents who wish their children to have more fundamental Thai connections avoid such schools for exactly that reason (as if you wish your child to do well in the Thai world the social connections are crucial).

This is what i'm thinking, basically im intending for her to be raised wholly in Bangkok hence am looking for a school where she will meet kids of well connected Thais so would you know of where these people send there kids? (I despise this concept of having to be in the right circles but Thailand and the world is how it is)

Cheers Aussiejosh always good to get a point of view of someone who studied in LOS ....... did you manage to get a decent job in LOS through your education there or was it back down under?

I am currently enrolled in University in Australia but took a break as I saw a business opportunity I could peruse in Asia, and convinced a company which specialized in that product to give me a chance. I am currently working in Vietnam/Thailand/Australia, so kind of both?

From my experience at Pattana, you decide what you want to do and the staff there will put you in all the right directions to acheive it. My year we had kids go off to Oxford, Cambridge, Standford, London School of Economics, our first student just entered Harvard law this year (according to Facebook). I mean they can't do everything for you, but they do a lot. It felt like an unfair advantage compared to other students.. but thats where my 350,000 baht per semester went aye.

The cultural point of the international school is to provide a culturally international environment; it would be defeating the purpose if a majority of the students were Thai and therefore spent most of their social or even academic time using Thai to communicate with each other (which is what inevitably happens in any Thai-majority program, no matter how well-funded or respectable). No doubt if these rules were changed ISB would be nearly 100% Thai, but that would simply mean another international school with such rules would have to be created.

Now you say it like that it makes sense.

Some parents who wish their children to have more fundamental Thai connections avoid such schools for exactly that reason (as if you wish your child to do well in the Thai world the social connections are crucial).

This is what i'm thinking, basically im intending for her to be raised wholly in Bangkok hence am looking for a school where she will meet kids of well connected Thais so would you know of where these people send there kids? (I despise this concept of having to be in the right circles but Thailand and the world is how it is)

You don't want anything fundamentally Thai in you children if it involves important things like education man. I mean, if you want to be fundamentally thai send them to a local school so they can learn in Rot and become another useful member of the bottom end of society.

If you want you can get my opinion about the schools from having friends at them, but some will not be flatering to the school. Especially in terms of st Andrews and Shrewsbery.

My Girlfriend actually studies at St Andrew's currently.

Edited by aussiejosh

My kid is at St Andrews in Phra Kanong - they have a good mix of kids from all nationalities and quite a few Thai kids too.

Best thing to do is go & visit a few places. I actually used to live in Nichida Thani close to ISB & their students define the ex-pat-brat in my opinion !

My kid was at St. Andrews Phra Khanong for many years and recently switched to Bangkok Patana. The way I look at it, if you want a small school, St. Andrews Phra Khanong is the best you will find in Bangkok. If you want a big school (which we did), Bangkok Patana is the best you will find in Bangkok.

Frankly, and I have looked at this closely for quite awhile, I cannot see it any other way. The people who are responsible for St. Andrews Phra Khanong came from Patana (the Head of School was the Head of Patana's High School etc.). If you look at Patana's academic and sports achievements, year on year, they are #1. ISB is close though, so if it is closer logistically to the OP, look at ISB.

If you want you can get my opinion about the schools from having friends at them, but some will not be flatering to the school. Especially in terms of st Andrews and Shrewsbery.

St. Andrews has several campuses, and they are not all part of the same group so be specific. If your girlfriend currently studies at St. Andrews, then I would be watching out for the police as the highest grade in all of them is still high school.

Dude serious St Andrews shouldn't be compared to Patana... Seriously, look at the quality of the buildings the equipment and the teachers?

Seriously, my girlfriend attended Patana for 12 years and needed a change, now she is at St Andrews and she says the education level is far below. I have been helping her with her IB Physics and I don't know what her teacher is on, but even she knows what he is teaching her is wrong. I just hope she passes the exams its her last year and her French class just restarted the course because the teacher and students were too poorly organized. This is their first year of IB at St Andrews and I feel really sorry for the kids participating.

Honestly, don't compare the two.

Ok the Phra khanong one.

Edited by aussiejosh

St. Andrews has several campuses, and they are not all part of the same group so be specific. If your girlfriend currently studies at St. Andrews, then I would be watching out for the police as the highest grade in all of them is still high school.

I am 21 and attended high school with this girl, the police can go fk themselves, I have known her since I was 15 and yeah it was a little weird at first but my relationship with her is no ones business. Last of all the Thai governments.

I am 21 and attended high school with this girl, the police can go fk themselves, I have known her since I was 15 and yeah it was a little weird at first but my relationship with her is no ones business. Last of all the Thai governments.

Apologies, although I was referring to the police and her being underage (seemingly if she is still in high school). Anyway, it sounds like you are old enough to already know this.

OMR

Aussie Josh is offering some very good insight into the Thai education system, why mention the age difference between him and his girlfriend? What does that statement have to do with the topic?

If you want to compare schools, and you are looking at the top end you are looking at ISB, Patana, perhaps a NIST... there are some other okay ones around, however the first 2 i would recommend if you want a school which really puts effort and cares about your kids. Even today I still have contact with my school and will go back and visit.

I suggest you take a look at Ruamrudee International School, www.1.rism.ac.th. Our son attended RIS from KG thru 12th grade and graduated in 2008. We were very happy with the school and I highly recommend it to others. It has an enrollment of around 1700 students and is located in Minburi. Check their website for details.

• Like 1

Dude serious St Andrews shouldn't be compared to Patana... Seriously, look at the quality of the buildings the equipment and the teachers?

Seriously, my girlfriend attended Patana for 12 years and needed a change, now she is at St Andrews and she says the education level is far below. I have been helping her with her IB Physics and I don't know what her teacher is on, but even she knows what he is teaching her is wrong. I just hope she passes the exams its her last year and her French class just restarted the course because the teacher and students were too poorly organized. This is their first year of IB at St Andrews and I feel really sorry for the kids participating.

Ok the Phra khanong one.

If your girlfriend is studying in St Andrews Phra Kanong, that means she's 16 or under.

Is this something to be made public on the interweb ???

OMR

Aussie Josh is offering some very good insight into the Thai education system, why mention the age difference between him and his girlfriend? What does that statement have to do with the topic?

Errr.. advice on education from someone of questionable moral standards ?

If your girlfriend is studying in St Andrews Phra Kanong, that means she's 16 or under.

Sorry, but you are wrong - St Andrews Phra Kanong has students in Year 13 which makes them 17 - 19.

Ok the Phra khanong one.

They are doing the IB at St Andrews that 17-18 she is second year she is 18... thanks for your concern. Again none of your business.

Whichschool

Though not in Bangkok, give some thought to the Khao Yai campus of Saint Stephens (Korat Province - about 160k's from Bkk - heading North East) - though if I am correct I think the lower age limit now is 5yrs (correct/incorrect?).

My son done all his schooling here, and my daughter done 5years (leaving only because she got a place at an equaly good boarding school in CA - otherwise I would have been 100% happy to see her stay on). They boarded on campus Monday thru Friday, coming home most Friday evenings and going back late Sunday or early Monday.

My opinion of the school?

Excellent, was very happy with all aspects of it. Good facilities, good grounds, safe enviroment, food good, good rooms .... happy with all of it, and so were the kids. No complaints - except for the cost: like most "private schools" in Thailand - not cheap (but what price does one put on their childs' education).

Would strongly reccomend you at least go check it out.

The best schools are: ISB, Bangkok-Patana, NIST, Shrewsbury, Ruamrudee, and Harrow.

If you want more Thai students you would probably want to look at Ruamrudee. If you want the best education then probably ISB or Shrewsbury would be your best options, though the others are decent as well.

The best schools are: ISB, Bangkok-Patana, NIST, Shrewsbury, Ruamrudee, and Harrow.

If you want more Thai students you would probably want to look at Ruamrudee. If you want the best education then probably ISB or Shrewsbury would be your best options, though the others are decent as well.

And... your kid won't feel out of place carrying an Ice Mocha Latte from Starbuck's around campus.

And... your kid won't feel out of place carrying an Ice Mocha Latte from Starbuck's around campus.

Cool, she'll be able to explain the difference to me between a capuccino and a caffe latte then.

Thanks all for the advice seems the same few schools keep on getting mentioned.

The premiereleague is

Pattana, NIST, Harrow, ISB

these are pretty much full (although ISB has started taking A LOT more Thais as expat numbers are dropping). Shrewsbury is a first division school, ok results but not on a par with Harrow (GCSE and A level), the rest are all IB schools.

Also, consider the campus. Pattana is big and slightly out of the City. ISB is big (ish) too. Harrow is huge, massive fields and a water ski lake, but is 20km out from the centre. The others are tiny as they are city based. NIST is on Sukhumvit with all the advantages and disadvantages this provides.

I find the kids at ISB (lots from the US) to be rather unruly!

Don't touch Regents (any of them), St Stephens (Khao Yai one), St Andrews, St Johns. All awful, run for as much profit as possible, below par facilities and teaching but still high fees.

This is, of course, my personal opinion!

I graduated from ISB and I can attest that the school excellent. I would not have wanted to spend my young years anywhere else. Every other school I've seen or been to does not even come close to the professionalism of ISB, and the facilities they have access to are more than plentiful. It IS on the rather expensive side, though.

Think most here agree that the top schools in Bangkok are NIST,Shrewsbury,ISB,Patana,Harrow and Ruamrudee..the schools with the highest amount of non-Thai children are Patana,ISB and NIST however,all of the schools have started to accept more Thais now as there are less expats to spread around. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these provided you can afford the very expensive fees. Most of the schools provide details on their websites as to their school-leavers results, Patana and Shrewsbury seem to have done very well.

Let us know which you have chosen when it comes time.

Cheers.