Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

I think he was just unlucky, there are at least 500 people a day for make a visa applicaton in Vientiane .

I'm awating for other reports.

You believe they only checked a random sample of passports?

That's optimistic, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think he was just unlucky, there are at least 500 people a day for make a visa applicaton in Vientiane .

You believe they only checked a random sample of passports?

That's optimistic, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I don't think anything.

Let see for further reports.

:) I got my double on 09/this month.There were only 48 applicants on the day...mate actualy counted because was so surprised.

I had warned him of big queues on my previous visits maybe a sign of the times!

I got my 2 entry visa today in Vientiane. I have one 3 entry visa from Helsinki and two 2 entry visas from Vientiane before that.

Today I also got red stamp beside my visa:

"Remark: The holder has travelled to Thailand with Tourist Visa 9 times. The Embassy may not accept the application next time"

Classic T.I.T........hey, lets give out free visas to encourage tourism, but we don't actually want you to apply for one, and really we don't want you here at all, we're doing just fine without you!.....hmmm

NINE tourist visa's :cheesy: Hardly a geuine tourist.

I'd have thought someone in your position would take this post seriously, always ONE in the stalls.

Actually if You count my old passport too, it's more. One single entry from KL, two single entry from Vientiane and one double entry from Vientiane. And don't forget that one multientry non-o I got from Helsinki Consulate in year 2007. Oh, and have to add 6 or 7 extension too. So roll over again :) , don't care a bit what you think. Haven't done anything wrong or illegal, there just is no other visa for me.

SO four tourists visa entries in your new passport and 1+2+2 in your old. So that makes nine tourist visas. So they are probably counting only the number of entries and check them from a central database.

No. Check again. This new passport has now 4 visas and 9 entries, they count that new visa they gave too. So after this visa I have 9 entries and they may not accept application anymore.

edit. Oh yes, now I see what you mean. I have 9 visas but entries much more.

There was more people who got this stamp. Do you think here in forum that everybody who go get visa reads this forum? No, they do not.

Well said

I got my 2 entry visa today in Vientiane. I have one 3 entry visa from Helsinki and two 2 entry visas from Vientiane before that.

Today I also got red stamp beside my visa:

"Remark: The holder has travelled to Thailand with Tourist Visa 9 times. The Embassy may not accept the application next time"

Classic T.I.T........hey, lets give out free visas to encourage tourism, but we don't actually want you to apply for one, and really we don't want you here at all, we're doing just fine without you!.....hmmm

NINE tourist visa's :) Hardly a genuine tourist.

I'd have thought someone in your position would take this post seriously, always ONE in the stalls.

I reckon the good dr. made a very valid comment and like myself, probably considers that acquiring the correct visa and thus remaining 100% legal in Thailand is a far more serious issue than another debate in how to abuse the next Thai visa loophole.

If you have 9 re etry stamps for Thailand you are not a tourist you are living here.

I must respectfully disagree. I have friends who live in Singapore who often pop up to Phuket for a golfing weekend (just one of their destinations - they also go to other countries in the region). I imagine they would clock up 9 entries in less than two years. One friend keeps his boat in Phuket during the SE monsoon and goes there even more frequently. All of these would be classed as tourists. I imagine the authorities are not only considering the total number of entries, but also the intervals between them and the durations of stay.

Cheers,

Mike

The thinking seems rightly or wrongly that those under 50 not married to Thais who stay long-term without a work permit are mostly either working without WP or engaging in crime and they are not only targetting farangs. Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Indians, Africans, South Americans and others are also getting caught in the net. This is not likely to let up and I guess it will get tougher. At least they are now issuing warnings first, rather than just saying no.

Maybe no help to those using tourist visas but I am surprised that they haven't reintroduced the investment visa for those under 50. Owning a 3 million baht condo used to get you a one year visa that you could get a WP on too. They could raise the limit but they don't seem interesting in anything that will let more people in, even with money.

Has anyone else been given this warning stamp?

People only usually make a noise when something goes wrong... so one out of how many people got this stamp?

I am thinking its best to go to the consulate in shorts and t-shirt. The respectful attire which they recommend might make you look more like a worker than a tourist, so maybe smart casual clothes would be best - not shirt and slacks

....There is no other country in the world where you can enter 9x on a tourist visas, why does everyone think it has to be that way in TH?????.................

i go to the philippines for 22 years (every year a few times) on tourist visa........

they dont want to issue to many back to back tourist visas cause they think that we might be working in thailand.. my question is what do you do if you are under 50 and retired and want to live in thailand???? I make my living from stock market in canada.... is there something that i can offer as proof and will be accepted??? income tax returns??? tor tor 3s from when bringing money into thailand?????

they dont want to issue to many back to back tourist visas cause they think that we might be working in thailand.. my question is what do you do if you are under 50 and retired and want to live in thailand???? I make my living from stock market in canada.... is there something that i can offer as proof and will be accepted??? income tax returns??? tor tor 3s from when bringing money into thailand?????

Off topic I know, but in answer if not married to Thai/have Thai child go to Perth/Europe and obtain multi-entry Non-O on basis of visiting friends. 90 day border runs and can stretch visa to 15 months.

Edited by thaiphoon

Obviously, Thailand doesn't want the country overrun by pennyless foreigners or tight retirees.

This kind of permanent "tourists" doesn't bring significant income to Thailand and often burdens its public infrastructure (hospitals).

One thing that makes sense to do is to take Thai language classes. Not only will this bestow you a O-ED visa good for a year, but you can also have it renewed up to 5 times.

Somewhere I read these classes can be taken for as cheap as 20k, 30k baht a year?

btw, I saw man who didn't got this stamp and he said he has lived here 7 years with TR visas. Maybe something to do with that he applied only single entry visa?

How were each of you dressed? They might take that into consideration seeing as how they have 'no hippies' signs at the land crossings.

....There is no other country in the world where you can enter 9x on a tourist visas, why does everyone think it has to be that way in TH?????.................

Maybe it's because there are a lot of things you can do in Thailand that you can't do in 98% of the rest of the world. :)

could you please post your boring illegal stuff in the other thread?

after one week i've heard from 4 or 5 people getting that stamp.

without any clear rules it seems to be just a warning like it is in Penang for over two years already.

anything new about the red stamps from Vientiane?

Muay Thai courses are a good one,

For the Ed Visa?

I for one would be very interested in hearing more about this.

It seems immigration is getting stricter. You might be able to get an ED visa for this, but extensions of stay will probably not be given. Inquire at the school if they can help you with an extension. Officialy you need to be studying at a registered educational institution, which a muay Thai school is not.

If you are in Udon, go to the Sports University (NW side of ring road) and enquire about the courses. For Pattaya ISS is a good place to start (sukumvit hi-way, just before Pattaya Klang). You would still need to go to an embassy/consulate outside of Thailand that issues the Non-Ed visa (I'm not sure if Vientienne does or not - they are constantly restricting bordering consulates to what type of visas they can issue).

You could either try and get a multiple entry type (good for 15 months) or come in on a single entry and apply for extention for 1yr.

1st option - does the consulate you chose issue Multiple entry visas (I don't think they all do!)

2nd option - is the course coasha, will immigration check up on attendance, remember 1 yr extentions are not guaranteed, although quite straight-forward for the retiree, they mess all others about, I've known my marriage extention take 3 months to be approved, I had friends being visited by immigration in their homes and wouldn't leave without a bottle of Black-label. For me I had to draw a map and because there was no land marks/7-elevens on any of the turns he said "MUST HAVE 7-11" I'm thinking "wot do you want me to go and build one"!

Mario2008, where are you?

You/we wanted to keep this a factual thread on red stamp warnings from Vientiane but it is fast becoming another thai visa policy discussion forum. We've heard enough from those guys (eg. posts #51, 53, 57, 60...) already in other threads devoted to that topic.

Edited by tropo

Anybody clicking on this thread with interest, may also be looking for alternatives if the same has happened to them, this is obviously a worrying time for many, and as long as all posts are on topic, who are you TROPO to say what is relevant/irrelevant to other readers looking for information, my posts are relevant, as accurate and informative as I can honestly state and on topic.

Anybody clicking on this thread with interest, may also be looking for alternatives if the same has happened to them, this is obviously a worrying time for many, and as long as all posts are on topic, who are you TROPO to say what is relevant/irrelevant to other readers looking for information, my posts are relevant, as accurate and informative as I can honestly state and on topic.

I'll tell you who I am. I'm one of the people who actually travel to Vientiane for tourist visas. I'll be heading up there again in less than a month. In this thread I'm only interested in hearing about currrent reports from Vientiane about what is actually happening right now. That is why this thread was opened in the first place.

There is a 26 page thread HERE where you can voice your opinions.

Guys, just thought I'd let you know that a German man who lives in the same building as me also got a red stamp from the embassy in Vientiene last week. He is a bit worried about it as he has a child with his girlfriend but cannot get a proof of income letter to go the non-O route. He came to me for advice and showed me the stamp. He said not everyone was getting the stamp, only those with 3 or more back to back tourist visas.

Guys, just thought I'd let you know that a German man who lives in the same building as me also got a red stamp from the embassy in Vientiene last week. He is a bit worried about it as he has a child with his girlfriend but cannot get a proof of income letter to go the non-O route. He came to me for advice and showed me the stamp. He said not everyone was getting the stamp, only those with 3 or more back to back tourist visas.

Thanks for reporting. That's the first time we've heard about how many could be allowed.

Thanks for reporting. That's the first time we've heard about how many could be allowed.

Is early days, but certainly an indication of where the hatchet may be falling.