Asus Ee Pc 1005ha/1101ha Ubuntu Installation Tutorial For Newbies

MJo

Hi guys,

Got my Asus 1101HA netbook finally and being totally new to linux managed to get Ubuntu Netbook Remix installed without a hitch due to THESE INSTRUCTIONS And not all that, with the tutorial setting up LAN, Wifi, ee pc tray, ee pc power management and other stuff that does not work out of the box was easy enough for total newbie like me.

Just want to share it here as it did me good part of the day with google trying to find instructions that i was able to follow :)

Installed dual boot with XP and Asus comes with pre-partitioned HDD so was able to use 60+ GB "D:" drive for UNR. After playing a while with the partitioning of UNR drive and folders and which file system to use was able to create as described in the tutorial using ext3.

Have to say i'm impressed with Ubuntu, it even transferred my docs from windows partition during the installation and all seem to work ok except i'm still getting some error message for touch pad able/disable button. Still need to work on that. Also i noticed that the UNR desktop setting was really slow to use for some reason but switched to classic Ubuntu desktop, which i prefer anyways and it's working much faster.

Only issue for now is how to get Nokia PC Suite running under UNR ? If someone can suggest workable solution then the XP is history for good.

Also appreciate any tips and recommendations on "must have" applications that are out there and usefull in daily use.

One package you serious need to install if you connect to internet with your phone is mobile-broadband-provider-info (you can find it in your Synaptic Package Manager) it contains service provider specific settings of mobile broadband providers in different countries, including Thailand. Basically the first time I connected my old Nokia 6630 (which I use as GPRS/EDGE modem) it said new mobile broadband network found select provider (giving me the option of the 3 GSM providers in Thailand AIS, DTAC, True Mobile) after selecting the provider I was basically online in 5 seconds..

I was wondering if you could possibly share some experience with the Asus 1101HA. I am considering to buy one those netbooks, but I am between Asus 1005HA (10") and the Asus 1101 HA. I quite like the 1101HA as it has a bit bigger screen and is still very portable, but I have read some reviews and some people complain about the speed of this machines.

Also with this model (1101HA) it is possible to overclock it in BIOS, which suppose to give better speed but then the battery last less :)

Appreciate any comments.