Tee Ruk

rbrb

Have noticed the reference to "tee ruk" in a number of postings.

What is its' full meaning and why is it being used in a derogatory sense?

Thanks in advance.

Meanings as per PvtDick's post above.

Not sure about being used derogatively though... :D

My posts certainly don't... :o

I use it to describe my Thai partner, actually fiance. If we were married she'd be my "mia", but as we're not, she's my "teeruk" (tilac etc).

:D

I don't know of the Thai word for fiance... anyone got suggestions?

I don't know of the Thai word for fiance... anyone got suggestions?

หมั้น means to be engaged or betrothed. So คู่หมั้นชาย (groom-to-be)

would be what you're after.

By the way, คู่หมั้นหญิง (bride-to-be) is the word for fiancee.

I use it to describe my Thai partner, actually fiance.  If we were married she'd be my "mia", but as we're not, she's my "teeruk" (tilac etc).

It sounds as though she's your "mia" already. Surely [F]thii[H]rak has more to do with whether it's love or just lust on your side?

She is... sort of... we just haven't formally been wedded yet... soon this year :D

We call each other "teeruk" all the time... never by name.

I do however say to other Thai girls that approach me "phom me mia laeow", just so they get the message that I'm not on the market. :o

What I mean by "common" is that in the West for example, it is very common to introduce someone as your "fiance" or "fiancee". I've never heard a Thai introduce their partner as their "khu man". "Faen" would usually cover it without going into specifics of your marital status (or future marital status) -- as Thais don't really put that much emphasis on formal "marriage" anyway. Many couples live together as common-law husband and wife their entire lives without ever registering their marriage.

Many couples live together as common-law husband and wife their entire lives without ever registering their marriage.

As we have been doing for the past 2 & 1/2 years already. :D

But getting back to the OP, has anyone heard of the term being used in a derogative sense? :o

No, never in a derogatory sense.

It's used here sometimes in a somewhat "sarcastic" sense, because bar girls tend to bandy the term around so much when referring to their customers.

That's what I thought too. :o

So there you go rbrb... you can safely call your TGF "teeruk" and her face will light up and she'll melt in your arms.