The Meaning Of A Family Name

Clip_My_Wings

I'm sticking my neck out... again. :o

close/far to/from home?

Have to see the thai script becuase mid tone on klai is far, falling tone is close...

thin here, I think, is (ถิ่น ) which is like home, homeland...country, region....

Edited by Ajarn

do thai surnames have meanings ??  if so can anyone tell me the origins and meaning of the surname "Klaithin" ....

Yes they do in that they can be translated into english words.....but as to whether they have any revelance to anything is questionable....

All have meanings.  Impossible to guess at yours, though, without the Thai script.

ไม่พบคำศัพท์ที่ต้องการ - maybe this is it ??

The text you have there translates loosely as

The term you specified can not be found.

((Did) not find the word (which) you need)

So it is not the surname.

My bet is that it is ไกลถิ่น (far from home). There are 90 people surnamed ไกลถิ่น in the Thailand phone directory, versus 0 surnamed ใกล้ถิ่น (near home).

Edited by PvtDick

MS, what do you think of my offering? I know you're more clued-in than me on these things...

Well, since there seems to be 90 people in the phone book named "Klaithin" I would say you made a very educated guess. I am not so good at Thai surnames and their meanings actually. Your teaching experience probably means you have been exposed to a lot more of those than I have...

MS, what do you think of my offering? I know you're more clued-in than me on these things...

Well, since there seems to be 90 people in the phone book named "Klaithin" I would say you made a very educated guess. I am not so good at Thai surnames and their meanings actually. Your teaching experience probably means you have been exposed to a lot more of those than I have...

Just a guess, and I've never heard this surname before. Trying a bit of common sense.. Thanks to PvtDick for the research that may point to common sense being a good play... this time :o