Rubber Trees

ray23

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to do a little research and see what sort of well you might need for say 10 rai of trees.

Ok Aletta heres your new challange this one all the way from California, my nephew has decided the answer to boredom here is vanilla beans. Ask me my thoughts I really have none

How does this new nic sound........ RubberTreeRay  :o

Ok now give me a break here, still in research. It really turned out to be a lot more interesting topic then I expected. I have no real intention to do anyhthing for another year. I have to say that it was a pleasure to hook up with some very sharp people in this process. Altough I do have to admit does have a ring to it. LOL

The nephew has already got things going here, couple of taxis in Bangkok. Says he sees a profit, I have no idea.

Ray,got two friends just starting out with their rubber plantations,one in Nong Khai and the other in Ubon.Will e-mail them today to get the latest and post any interesting news.

Gday Aletta,

Where abouts is your friend with the rubber plantation in Ubon. I am also in ubon and would be interested in having a yarn with another farang who is in the same game. We are situated in the northern corner of Ubon on the Mekong River.

Sezzo

Ray,got two friends just starting out with their rubber plantations,one in Nong Khai and the other in Ubon.Will e-mail them today to get the latest and post any interesting news.

Gday Aletta,

Where abouts is your friend with the rubber plantation in Ubon. I am also in ubon and would be interested in having a yarn with another farang who is in the same game. We are situated in the northern corner of Ubon on the Mekong River.

Sezzo

Hey Sezzo yuo guys gst a bit of rain today?

Hi,there.I sent him an e-mail today.He is currently in the UK selling his house before coming out here full time.At the moment all i know is that it's way out in the sticks.He plans to buy a house in Ubon and commute to the plantation.

Hi,there.I sent him an e-mail today.He is currently in the UK selling his house before coming out here full time.At the moment all i know is that it's way out in the sticks.He plans to buy a house in Ubon and commute to the plantation.

Ok. When he moves over here I would be very interested in getting together with him and seeing what he has got going on his land compared to ours. I am also out in the sticks so another farang to talk to would be great as well.

We didnt get any rain in the last couple of days. Last rain we had was 2 days of last week. Its been cloudy and windy but no rain. Although the 3 hours of rain from last week has certainly greened things up a bit. More would be welcome.

Ok. When he moves over here I would be very interested in getting together with him and seeing what he has got going on his land compared to ours. I am also out in the sticks so another farang to talk to would be great as well.

We didnt get any rain in the last couple of days. Last rain we had was 2 days of last week. Its been cloudy and windy but no rain. Although the 3 hours of rain from last week has certainly greened things up a bit. More would be welcome.

Sezzo I haven't forgotten about the visit just a bunch of pesky things to take care of this month. If it could rain as we saw it here uesterday 50% od the time it would be great, no down pour just a gentle rain most of the day.

Indeed he does udon.

Three years of driving around London on a moped learning routes. :o

Strange how all cabbies can talk the hind legs off a donkey.

Well got a little further into the place with a house and ten ria in mature trees, it's a no go. The owner made a two year deal with a worker to rent the ten ria for 10,000 a year for two years the guy is busy fertilizing the trees and weeding. That just is not enough of a return even if the trees are mature. Imagine telling the guy hey I bought this place, the deals are off have a nice day. I doubt that you would be very popular in the ville after that. So the search goes on.

Ray,if someone is selling a mature plantation then there is a good chance something fishy is going on.Why sell after all the hard work and waiting is over and the money is rolling in.

Heard from my two friends but their e-mails were short as per usual.Sure not keen on typing.

John in Ubon,his trees are doing well and head high after a year.He pays a daily wage and has no rubber sharing agreement.

Vince in Nong Khai has made an error it would seem.The trees are not growing at a fast enough pace.Nong Khai is on average 800 metres above sea level and gets very cool in the cold season,down to 10 degrees.The trees will efectively be almost dormant for three or four months a year.That's why there are not large rubber plantations in Nong Khai.All those extra years of weeding and fertiliser with no income for say ten years. :o

Ray,if someone is selling a mature plantation then there is a good chance something fishy is going on.Why sell after all the hard work and waiting is over and the money is rolling in.

Heard from my two friends but their e-mails were short as per usual.Sure not keen on typing.

John in Ubon,his trees are doing well and head high after a year.He pays a daily wage and has no rubber sharing agreement.

Vince in Nong Khai has made an error it would seem.The trees are not growing at a fast enough pace.Nong Khai is on average 800 metres above sea level and gets very cool in the cold season,down to 10 degrees.The trees will efectively be almost dormant for three or four months a year.That's why there are not large rubber plantations in Nong Khai.All those extra years of weeding and fertiliser with no income for say ten years. :o

Very interesting, I think the mature trees are the result of the push many years ago to build the industry, there never have been worked and I don't think the person never had and intention of doing so.

The Nong Kia thing is what I find interesting, didn't think of the effect of the cold, during the cold snap. It is so liitle compared to the home country, good info.

How is the daily wage working did he elaborate?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray

Been travelling around Isaan and only saw one rubber plantation and that was in Khon Kaen.Looked very healthy but was small.

See the new Agriculture Minister is big on oil palm,wants another three million rai of it to make bio diesel.Going to dig up 1.8 million rai of rubber.Government expert says it needs large quatities of water so will be mostly in the South.

Bought some land in Nong Khai myself as I am a big fan of rivers.

Have asked friend to give more details on labour on plantation.

Hi Ray

Been travelling around Isaan and only saw one rubber plantation and that was in Khon Kaen.Looked very healthy but was small.

See the new Agriculture Minister is big on oil palm,wants another three million rai of it to make bio diesel.Going to dig up 1.8 million rai of rubber.Government expert says it needs large quatities of water so will be mostly in the South.

Aletta, I went for a drive on friday to the southern part of Ubon and Sisaket and there were many healthy rubber plantations down that way. I also was travelling between Khemmarat and Khong Chiam in Ubon near the Mekong about a week ago and the same thing. Quite a few very healthy rubber plantations. They really seem to be pushing the establishment of rubber trees going by the number of nurseries selling young rubber trees.

Hi Ray

Welcome back, Nong Kia is a neat little town, I like the river to. I have since spotted several small places north of Udon interestingly enough I onlysaw one that was in production, like you said small places.

Edited by ray23

Hi Ray

Welcome back, Nong Kia is a neat little town, I like the river to. I have since spotted several small places north of Udon interestingly enough I onlysaw one that was in production, like you said small places.

Forgot to ask if you don't mind what were the land prices you were seeing?

Sezzo,

i think rubber is the only choice in Isaan as you can drill for water whereas palm is so fussy.I have a large number of ornamental palms and they are such a pain to look after.Variation in growth rates on the same location are amazing.You would need a huge workforce to pamper them.

I think plantations are small as people are trying it out and waiting to see if it is viable.Lived in Phuket with its giant plantations so anything looks small here.

Hi Ray,

Looked at land in Nong Khai just off the main road 100,000 a rai.40 km out in the country as low as 10,000 a rai.

Looked at land in Ayuthaya,very expensive,100,000 a rai 10km out in the swamp.Paved road but one car wide.

Sezzo,

i think rubber is the only choice in Isaan as you can drill for water whereas palm is so fussy.I have a large number of ornamental palms and they are such a pain to look after.Variation in growth rates on the same location are amazing.You would need a huge workforce to pamper them.

I think plantations are small as people are trying it out and waiting to see if it is viable.Lived in Phuket with its giant plantations so anything looks small here.

Hi Ray,

Looked at land in Nong Khai just off the main road 100,000 a rai.40 km out in the country as low as 10,000 a rai.

Looked at land in Ayuthaya,very expensive,100,000 a rai 10km out in the swamp.Paved road but one car wide.

Hmm!!!

Wonder what land would run out as far a Tha Bo and Si Chaing Mia. I'm assuming 10K per ria dirt roads? Maybe electric maybe not?

Does friend still think he has problem with the cold snap in the cool months?

Really is nice country at that way and not to bad to a big city like UDON.

A rural background in mixed farming and fishing taught me that in a new venture in agriculture always double your anticipated costs and halve your anticipated returns .My TW has land in the area east of Udon and after much research I am of the opinion that diversified farming with proper practises and the availability of water is the way to go. Rotational cropping with rice, legumes (beans ) corn,with fish ponds and rice/fish paddy,s.

Labour intensive, yes but this can be kept down with planning and infrastructure.

plus return per rai is higher and more evenly spread.

Not rubber I know but another mans view.