Self employment?

Hello!

I was just beginning to look into possibilities of traveling to Thailand and running my own business.  Is there a working visa for this?  I am a recent graduate from the Michener Inst. of applied health sciences acupuncture program and would be wanting to open a small acupuncture and massage business.

I know it's probably a long shot but I also had another question. I have heard that there are many thai massage places along the beaches in many resort towns in thailand.  Is there any way I could partake in this and get some kind of permit?  (I would be wanting to offer acupuncture) If not, I can simply rent space elsewhere.

Thanks!!!!

Hello Charlaine and welcome to Thailand Expat Forum. Sorry for delay of answering this topic, but it's not an easy one...

Although Massage and Acupuncture is not on the list over prohibited work for foreginers, I think it can be hard to get a work permit for this type of business.

You have to enter Thailand on a NON-B visa. Take contact with the labour department and ask them how to proceed. You might need an experienced immigartion laywer in this very special case.

Personally I think you are chanceless. Maybe someone else here have an other opinion?

I doubt that you could do it other than by  personal application in Bangkok. It would probably be seen as       taking away a job that could be carried out by  Thai       people unless some unique skill could be shown.   A         recent graduate would battle to show that. Look at

www.chiroweb.com/archives/15/18/24.html