Gentleman Farmers

Rinrada

Been reading up and following on to some of the excellent threads on farming (in mostly Issarn) fruit and Veg growing et all but have any of you gentlemen farmers out there in the Green hills of C.M.any comments,reccomendations etc. on the where and wotsit on the best in local foodcrop production.

Over our last weekend visit we decided to add another 5 rai to our wee setup not far from Mae-On and on close inspection find that we have an even greater number of local citrus fruits and Vegs than on our other bit...namely the usual Pinapples,Jackfruit,"ma muang",bannanas,Lam-yai..and others.

According to K.W the only things missing or rather "NO Have" is Advocados.

So for someone more used to Toms from Tescos,Cucums from Morrisons and grapes in bottles of Bow -ju-lais....whats the score.?

The 3 spuds we planted 6 months ago have dissapeared under our new road but will have another go with a couple of King Eddies next time.

Also as said before K.W really does want to source a Cow (honestly-prefer brown one from Yorkshire with a smilley face ...ye gods?)...Can that be done ...anybody import /have dairy cows in country :o

I am thinking of breding Haggiss :D

Thanks to whoever sent me this emaill....why not register on TV.com.

WWW.thaivisa.com

so ..........bits of fruit to chew on......

Avocado

Big Banana

Sweet Banana

Thai Banana

Cocao

Carambula

Cashew Nut

Coconut

Coffee....?

Durain

Grape

Guava

Jack Fruit

Jujube

Red&Green Rose Apple

Langsat&Longkong

Lime

Lychee

Longgan

Mango

Mangosteen

Marin Plam

Papaya

Passion Fruit

Pineapple

Pommelo

Pomegraneto

Rambutan

Salaka

Santol

Sapodilla

Sugar Apple

Star Goseberry

Sweet Orange

Sweet Tamarind

Tangerine

Taro

Water Melon

Young Coconut

http://www.yummytaste.com/ingeneral/fruits.htm

You may want to talk to the people at the CMU agricultural research place nr the Arts Museum, or Mae Jo university. Maybe they can point you in the right direction on what grows well here & assist on natural pesticides, fertilizer etc.

Andy,As it happens CMU agricultural college is just up the road from us and we were toying with that.

Little bit early at the moment but will have a chat when time comes (maybe next visit)...thanks

It has been many years since I taught there, but Mae Jo use to have a small nursery selling fruit trees. It might only be available to faculty but ask around for someone who works there. It was/is(?) a far better agricultural resource than CMU.

I'm still working on trying to grow tomatoes that are bigger and juicier than the tennis ball size rubber things they call tomatoes here. NO luck! My girlfriend told me that some farang in Loei province grew very nice big yellow lemons but the Thai people didn't like them. They prefer the much smaller green limes.

With all of the new international 4-5 star Hotels opening up in the region it would seem that the old Avocado might be a better choice for local sales.

Dont think the Thais are too fussy about them hence if they dont like them why grow,but gotta cater for the so-fisticated tastes of our future hopefully rich international western tourists coming for the stalking,treking and the.....golf. :D

I can just imagine them ordering them up to go with their freshly squeezed nam som,porridge and maybe a wee bit of black pudding. :o

Quote...Ricardo

Now if someone could introduce apricots - that would be really yummy :D

Not a bad idea......and keeps you regular :D

With all of the new international 4-5 star Hotels opening up in the region it would seem that the old Avocado might be a better choice for local sales.

Dont think the Thais are too fussy about them hence if they dont like them why grow,but gotta cater for the so-fisticated tastes of our future hopefully rich international western tourists coming for the stalking,treking and the.....golf.  :D

I can just imagine them ordering them up to go with their freshly squeezed nam som,porridge and maybe a wee bit of black pudding. :o

I've seen hardly any avocados in the Chiang Mai area for almost a year. I haven't even seen them in the roadside stands between CM and CR, as has been typical the last few years. Some in Mae Sai....

I'm always keeping an eye out for them, too. Anyone else seen them around much?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I read a little on this forum but in your area is there anyone doing avacadoes beside you? Have you looked into the propagation of Macadamia or"Brush Nuts" what my aussie friends call them. I went to Nam Now and Pukadun last year and my friend from Oslo (retired) had many species in the hills with little irrigation. About three yeatrs he said till harvest on the nuts and had fruit also. We were eating the Macadamias at will using a three foot wrench as a nut cracker. He said they sell for 800 bath a kilo...Maybe have stand corrected and the price was fixed at the time.

avocados.... were heaps of em in muang mai (spelling??) market last year round september/october, but haven't seem them since. cheap, too. 20 baht/kg. hubby says they'll be back in the rainy season.

on another note, does anyone know where i can get a list of nothern herbs or forest plants and their english translations? i don't mean lemongrass and ginger and the common tom yum stuff. i mean more the really bitter ones that the northern folk eat with saa and laap. along the lines of malit mai, pak waan and that kind of thing. am trying to experiment and see how the different fruits and herbs here are good for farang hair and skin.

cheers.