Thai Tv In The Uk

leprechaun

I have phoned Satellite Installation companies in the UK and they can connect me to satellite Hotbird 4 but they offer two packages - Dhammas GB and Thai TV Global.  What TV networks can I receive on these two packages?

Thanks  Leprechaun.,,,,,,,

Hi Lep.

There are two Thai language CHANNELS on HotBird. Thai Global and Dhammas. Both are free if you have a basic digital receiver and dish.

Thai Global is mostly drama, music and gameshows, Dhammas is Buddist monks.

You also get 400 other channels including Al-Jazzera if you want that sort of thing.

If you are slightly DIY oriented you can set the gear up yourself.

Enjoy.

Big Spuds : Yes it's possible to use a $ky reciever to view the Thai TV Global Network (one channel mostly output from channel 5. I did't try the Dhammas channel because it's not very intresting to me.)

However, it's not very convenient to use a $ky box because the Thai channels are on a different satellite. So you could get another dish and use a switch to switch between the two or buy another LNB to attach to your existing dish and some sort of switch to switch between the LNB's. what you choose depends on the size of your existing dish.

The $ky reciever's are intentionly cripled in an attempt to stop anyone viewing channels that are not $ky's. And if you're switched to another satellite for a while you might miss an update for your $ky smartcard.

It just so happens that Thai TV Global Network broadcast with parameters that are compatible with the cripled $ky box.

If if you invest in LNB etc and they change anything in the future you might not be able watch anymore.

So the best solution is...(in my dreams) throw out the $ky box and it's expensive subscription and buy a DM7000 info here. Dreambox

Connect the "Dreambox" up to a 1.5 meter motorised dish and to the internet via it's ethernet socket then you will be able to view a very large number of channels for free.

Edited by johng

i have sky is there any mods you can do to this set up to recieve thai channels as my GF is coming soon?

Glad to hear she got her visa in the end...

Generally, the answer is no, you can't modify your sky. The sky digital dishes are a little on the small side, and are pointing in the wrong direction.

However, what I did on the house in London is stick up a second dish pointing at hotbird, hooked up to a second satellite receiver. The channel is free so there is just the cost of the dish + receiver + installation, no monthly subscription charges to worry about after that. (which also means, unlike Sky, that the installation isn't subsidised, so expect it to cost more than your Sky install did... - i.e. cheap dish + receiver is about £200. Install costs differ depending where you are in the UK)

That also allows her to watch Thai TV in one room, while you can watch Sky in another... (Believe me - that's very useful if you don't want to constantly be watching Thai game shows.)

Edited by bkk_mike

We had TGN in UK from a normal sky sattalitte with a modified sky box. It is a mixture of all Thai channels. UBC broadcast TGN here in Thailand on channell 8 or 9

Sorry forgot to say. The sattelite needs to be seperate from the sky one unless you get a roaming one

Edited by lampard10