Detox In Chiang Mai Ram Hospital

philo

....Also I have to thank you for your ironic (but not mean) posts on Mobi's thread. I enjoyed it.

ph

I like to think of it as a dry sense of humour

most of the time, though I do suffer from Freudian slips...

SC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philo, the 1st line in 'How it works' in the AA Big Book;

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path"

I can tell you, if I can stay sober for 26 years after being a hopeless lout -drinking until blackout and passing out every night - ANYONE can stay sober.

I went to 3-4 AA meetings a day for the first year or two. I never once did the 'things that I used to do' after entering AA and THOROUGHLY working the program.

Some people have a very high tolerance to pain. I hope you've given yourself enough. You never have to drink again.

No person, no place, and no thing -can EVER make you take a drink or drug again. NEVER, no matter f***ing what!

Now get to work on you and you alone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SC

You are a clever man with a lot of insight. Also I have to thank you for your ironic (but not mean) posts on Mobi's thread. I enjoyed it.

moe666

Please tell us more about this wat. I need something to do when they unlock me in 9 days. I am now more or less homeless (my beloved wife 'cleaned' the house of all my personal stuff and threw it on the pavement outside the amphur were we got married. But I cannot afford to blame anybody for anything anymore (exept myself)).

ph

Philo, sorry I haven't got back sooner. Wat Tam Wua is one hour outside of Mae Hong Son on the way to Pae. The abbot is a cool guy if you want to stay there you have to meditate it works out to 6 hours min. a day. They will put you up in a hut, very basic, sleeping on the floor, squat toilet and bucket shower. They feed you two meals a day all vegetarian. You can work if you don't have the money for donation. It is no cake walk your are isolated in the country and it is meditation all day long. If you can stick it out it will make you stronger mentally. Saw many people come saying I am staying 2 weeks, less than a week later on their way down the road.

• 4 months later...

This is difficult for me. I have been following this thread and the encouraging events of Philo. I finally have the courage to write and say that i am in nearly the same degree of danger Philo was in. I know i will not last much longer if I dont do something. I have looked up the AA meetings and am interested in the one at McCormick hospital and maybe the one at the park. I need the courage to go. Does anyone know what it will be like if i go there the first time? I appreciate any information or help, thanks

I haven't been here for a long time. I am still not sober - only God knows if I ever will be. I have left my wife and two children and moved to a place where there are meetings every day. I try not to drink before the morning meeting.

But the reason I am posting here is that I have been told by another AA member that Speicher is dead. When I was sober in Chiang Mai last year he PM'ed me and finally he agreed to come to a meeting. He first called me - and one night he said he was ready to go tomorrow. I called one of the longtimers and we picked him up in the morning and went to the meeting. He was first sober 15 days - one day drinking - another 15 days and in the end he got 3-4 months of sobriety (or dryness, if you prefer).

He was a nice guy - but with his issues as we all have.

I feel strange about the fact that he is dead and I am still alive. He was in his forties, I am 54. Obviously - there are hundreds or thousands of people dying from alcohol related causes every day - but for me this is the first time I have actually known such a person. Members of AA die regularly of old age - sober - but that is the fact of life: Being born, you shall die.

God bless his soul.

philo

I recieved the information yesterday that Brett had died in Arizona.

A tradgedy, so young.

He was in Iraq a long time so he told he told me.

However I don't know for sure that it was the alcohol that was his undoing or not, but suspect that maybe it was in one way or another.

My thoughts are with his family.

RIP Brett :(

• 1 month later...

I recieved the information yesterday that Brett had died in Arizona.

A tradgedy, so young.

He was in Iraq a long time so he told he told me.

However I don't know for sure that it was the alcohol that was his undoing or not, but suspect that maybe it was in one way or another.

My thoughts are with his family.

RIP Brett :(

I'm not a betting man but I'd make an exception in this case. It happens all the time. Usually they just disappear and that's it. I'll hold a thought for the guy.

(bold mine)