Phuket Surf Lifesaving Carnival - 3 October At Patong

Atmos

PHUKET SURF LIFESAVING CARNIVAL 2009

Phuket Lifeguard Club is proud to be organizing the second ever Surf Lifesaving Carnival in Phuket on 03 October 2009.

The carnival will be based at Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand at Loma Park .

This Surf Lifesaving Carnival for Phuket will be aimed at a target of 40-60 international and 60-80 local participants with a variety of activities and events– the emphasis is on having a great time and a great sporting event. For the first time an under 15's category has been included to allow younger competitors to join in. Special prizes for Thai competitors will be given as one of the aims of the carnival is promoting water safety and skills in the Thai community.

The Phuket Lifeguard Club (a non-profit organisation established in 2003) is the organiser of this event. All our members and committee are voluntary. We support initiatives of water safety and the contributions lifeguards and lifesaving make to the community, conduct and encourage training in first aid, CPR and rescue skills and organise sporting events to move lifesaving to the next level in Thailand. We run regular kids carnivals "Nippers" to encourage children to have confidence and learn essential skills that beach and pool users require in rescue and water safety.

surf-09-b.jpg

If you're in the area stop in and say hello, support and encourage the kids in the morning from 8.30am, adults events in the afternoon.

Or if you're really keen, watch the 8km beach run at 7am!

I'm rounding up the kids to race in the morning, hope to compete in the afternoon's surf races

just yell 'Genghis' to the guy in the NZ Swim For Life shirt

recorded the day before the previously scheduled adult carnival was postponed:

VDO Young Reporter 2nd Phuket Nipper carnival surf lifesaving carnival

VDO on

or

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...ws_headline=VDO

Jane-“Alex are you a good swimmer?” Alex-“Yes I am. Why do you ask?” Jane-“Well, because we are here at the Loma Park, checking out kids for their Nipper Lifesaving Carnival. Are you sure you can beat these kids?” Alex-“Wow! They are good. I’m not sure now, Let’s go check it out.” The 2nd Phuket Nipper carnival – a surf lifesaving carnival for children consisting of fun events to encourage water safety and confidence was held last Saturday 11 July at Loma Park in Patong. It was windy and cool weather typical of the monsoon season, but the boys seem to toughen up as they battled the waves under the guidance of lifeguards and Australian volunteers who came over to help to train and support the guards and kids. The girls were equally brave, and it’s a shame there weren’t more children especially foreign or tourists to join in, probably put off by the bad weather forecast. There were 6 events across 3 age groups 5-7, 8-11, 12-15 so there were plenty of chances to win with medals for first, second & third place in every event. I chatted to a little boy Daniel who participated at this event, while his father watched:

I also talked to another young contestant Jaran and his mother Jayne MacDougall, the organizer of the Nipper Lifesaving Carnival: The adult part of the Phuket Surf Lifesaving carnival 2009 was on the following Sunday 12 July also at Loma Park , co-organized with the Patong Municipality & Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort. Sponsors included Absolute Resorts, Royal Eastern Beverage company, Phuket International Hospital and Sea Fun Divers. Hopefully the youngsters’ were inspired to enter the adult races later and then who knows… “That was good to see the kids having fun and learning new skills. Maybe they’ll be good lifesavers for us in the future. This is Alex and Jayne, reporting for Andaman News. Back to the studio.

Young Reporter for Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 24 July 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com

Nice!

And a great idea.

that was quick, only just got home and already a story . . . a good day . . . and some interesting people including an Iranian raised in Brazil here on holiday who took a gold, silver and bronze medal, nice memories of Phuket, and well-supported by Australians ( I even competed in one of their caps - shame!) . For me - ended up competing in more than expected - surf swim, belt race, malibu board, beach sprint, iron man and 4km beach run.

Sunburnt and tired, but I'll make it to the party tonight!

VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1251

or

Charlotte & Max: "Hi Guys. Right now we're here at the 2nd Phuket Surf Carnival at Patong Beach. As you can see the waves are pretty rough out there today so I don't think I'll be taking part... If you take part someone would have to save you with this lifeguard tube. Are you going to take part? As you can see I’m wearing the T shirt, So I’m in the competition so I’m ready for it. Let’s do it! " The Phuket Lifeguard Club hosed their 2nd and rearranged Lifesaving Carnival last Saturday 3 October near Loma Park at Patong Beach, after the previously planned event in July was cancelled due to bad weather. At least this time it stayed dry and cool but was still windy and the strong waves made it very tough for the swimmers, probably putting off some of the younger participants like us or their parents from having a go, even though it was free for kids under 15 and very cheap for the others to enter. The carnival featured lifesaving events in eight categories for adults and less for younger competitors. Le Méridien Phuket Beach Resort were the major organisers and sponsors of this year’s festivities, supported by Patong Municipality, whose Deputy Mayor, Chairat Sukhaban, came along and told us how important and impressive it was for the local community: (voice)

One of the most impressive swimmers was Gavin Lewis. a 19 year old half-Thai half-American with strong power and high ambitions, who told Max about the tough conditions during his races: (voice) There were even some tourists like these Aussie sisters and brothers, Lauren, Maggie & Gerard, who were just like fish out of water, as they all won a medal in their race, and afterwards told us how they enjoyed the unexpected experience during their holiday: (voice) Max wasn't as fast as them in the water, but at least he could out-run the only other competitor in the under 18 beach sprint.

At least 50 people took part in this year's event, with more turning up later in the afternoon, but if you missed out and want to join next year or take your children to some free training sessions the Phuket Lifeguard Club regularly arrange through the year, or your company can help sponsor this worthwhile and important life skills opportunity, then contact Jayne MacDougall at [email protected]. The club website has more details at www.phuketlifeguard.com It's great to see young people in our community get an opportunity to learn new skills like swimming or lifesaving.. and have fun winning races like me. Next year I want to try the surf competition. This is Max and Charlotte reporting for Andaman News. Back to the studio. Bye!

Young Report for Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 9 October 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews