British Bulldog

Thaicoon

I wonder if some of you guys can help us, i am looking for a couple of British Bulldog pups of good stock male & female, also is it right there is a night market in Korat that sells pup's and other animals, i hail out in Buriram and the uk, so korat is a couple of hours down the road, i did see an old bulldog tied up in Buriram by the station, looks a bit sad, but unfortunatly not for sale, my kids would rather have a couple of pups. thanks.

I am also based out of UK/Buriram. Are you looking for old type of British Bulldog (ie long legs) or a 'Winston' (new type - same as the brindle/white one tied up outside my buddies shop near the station)? Plenty in Chatuchak market but BE CAREFULL - some with kennel club pedigrees. I highly recommend you look at Pet Planet Magazine for breeders (Anything sired by a dog called 'Harry Potter' will be excellent and with full pedigree). Plenty plenty Brit Bulldogs in that magazine.

My wife (Noi at the European Foodstore in Buriram) has some Irish Staffordshire pups (approx. 1 month old) at the moment. She owns the Mum and the Dad (Mum- All black apart from white chest) (Dad- Huge male half black / half white with pink nose - highly sought after). She has six pups (brindles/blacks) at 3000b/each. These will make excellent family pets / guardians.

NB: Irish Staffordshires are like exagerated English Staffys with really long legs and more muscle.

I have got 2 Issan dogs, well looked after, both got leather collers on in case the dog man appears, i found one ran over one night in a ###### of a mess, he was at the vets a week, the other one came to my house at 5am, scratching at the door, it was about 2 months old, again in a ###### of a mess, this dog comes to town with me on my chopper, i put a pair of sunglasses on him and he sits on the tank, a character, saying european dogs suffer from the heat is just not true, if they have been brought from western climates to Thailand i can see your point of View, but when you buy a European breed that has been bred in Thailand it grows up climatised, it's like yourself, where were you born, can you stick the heat the same as a thai ?, think about it.

I don't keep village dogs because I am not interested in them. I don't adopt the neighbours kids for the same reason. I have pedigree dogs as they are there to do a job which the village dogs cannot do. Alsations especially suffer in the heat as regards appetite. Best breeds that never seem to suffer with the heat are Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, Bull Terrier, Rottweiller, Dobermann and very surprisingly (probably due to their ability to deal with huge diurnal changes in ambient temperature) - Huskies and Malamutes. Bulldogs have historically been proven not to do so well in high temperatures/humidity. House dog in the air-con most of the day - no probs. - other than that possibly best to consider another breed.

In the UK, i have a german shepard, have had three shepards, at the moment we have a pure white one, he is getting on in age now, he has the old problem his back legs are starting to go, he is coming up to 12.

I don't keep village dogs because I am not interested in them. I don't adopt the neighbours kids for the same reason. I have pedigree dogs as they are there to do a job which the village dogs cannot do.

what jobs exactly??? from the breeds listed i expect guard work...

pariah dogs (thai village dogs) would make great guard dogs; territorial, hardy, intelligent. its true that they dont look nasty or come with nasty type reputation but i'll chooose pariah dogs any day as guards (our cannaanis-- a now certified, pedigreed breed with a market around the world are similar in appearance and personality to the thai village dogs, and for that matter, the egyptian , syrian, african etc pariah dogs....they started out as just an other group of junk dogs hanging around beduin camps.... they now work as guards, bomb squad, herd, and all purpose warning dog... they do not fit the search and rescue types, or total attack types though.... i also think its a shame no one has started to collect and certifiy blood lines for them (the thai village dog)..

it is true though that dogs born in the climate are aclimised (spelling?) ; my finnish import boxer suffers terribly in our hamsin heats, his nose is also more scrunched in-- have bought AC this year so he will feel better; the israeli defense force bitch has no problems, she was born in the negev desert actually.

i would think the damp/rain/humidity would be hard for a bulldog, what with lots of wrinkles (fungus infections, hot spots etc), and soft palate respiratory things?

Edited by bina

I am also based out of UK/Buriram. Are you looking for old type of British Bulldog (ie long legs) or a 'Winston' (new type - same as the brindle/white one tied up outside my buddies shop near the station)? Plenty in Chatuchak market but BE CAREFULL - some with kennel club pedigrees. I highly recommend you look at Pet Planet Magazine for breeders (Anything sired by a dog called 'Harry Potter' will be excellent and with full pedigree). Plenty plenty Brit Bulldogs in that magazine.

My wife (Noi at the European Foodstore in Buriram) has some Irish Staffordshire pups (approx. 1 month old) at the moment. She owns the Mum and the Dad (Mum- All black apart from white chest) (Dad- Huge male half black / half white with pink nose - highly sought after). She has six pups (brindles/blacks) at 3000b/each. These will make excellent family pets / guardians.

NB: Irish Staffordshires are like exagerated English Staffys with really long legs and more muscle.

Let the cat out of the bag there Toddy boy ( so to speak)

Thought a lot about getting a bulldog here but seems strange to have to keep it in an air conditioned room all summer.

Friend says that bulldogs have an inherent small trachea and that is what causes the problems with breathing.

In response to Bina - I don't really like territorial dogs as guards especially the pariah dogs as they tend to be 'hound-like' as regards working off their usual territory ie no good for patrol work or schutzhund competition (anyway they are not alowed to enter for shutzhund working trials).

'Bluffing' or border work is obviously the starting point for all security dogs and although some pariah dogs can be large and a visual deterrent, it tends to be the traditional breeds that reduce break-ins etc to private property do to their simple presence and reputation. Best to let the dog make would be thieves reconsider through looks rather than tackle an intruder! However there are pariah dogs who have made excellent farmyard guardians.

At the highest level of protection work though there are very few dogs that actually make it (even breeds traditionally intended for this) ie it is highly unlikely a Shepherd from a non-working bloodline will make even schutzhund level II. If people are serious about this kind of work it makes no sense to train a pariah dog when through selective breeding we have accomplished the breeding of dogs more suitable to deal with the high levels of stress associated with this type of utility work. By all means - large pariah dog to guard the home but you would have a lot better chance of training a Rottweiller / Shepherd / Dobermann / Malinois / Groenendal / Lakenois - and ONLY THEN OFF A WORKING BLOODLINE to compete in working shows.

A bit of a tip - in my experience, Belgian Sherherds (any variety) train easier for first time handlers than any other breed of dog.

Price Fact: Protection dogs at 3 years of age with a Shutzhund III qualification regularly change hands in Thai circles at absolutely no less than 200,000 baht (YES IT'S TRUE).

thanx toddy,

good explanation.

actually my two boxers are both working dog bloodlines and a big handful as house dogs... have to keep them busy (agility etc): one is finnish, one is israeli defense force bloodlines (mother and father worked border patrol )

you are correct: for general yard/farm work, pariah are good;

proven working dogs for shutzhund etc which is specific usage....

but here the canaan are used as border patrol workers....

• 4 months later...

In an English Staffy a pink nose is a considered a very serious fault. The only info I can find on the web says that an Irish Staffy should also have a black nose.

What Kennel Club are they registered with?

thanx toddy,

good explanation.

actually my two boxers are both working dog bloodlines and a big handful as house dogs... have to keep them busy (agility ,jump through hoops,backward sommersault etc): one is finnish by de-poll, one is israeli defense(mossad) force bloodlines (mother and father worked  border patrol )between finland and israel,

you are correct: for general yard/farm work,(dingo) pariah are good;

thanx toddy,

good explanation.

actually my two boxers are both working dog bloodlines and a big handful as house dogs... have to keep them busy (agility ,jump through hoops,backward sommersault etc): one is finnish by de-poll, one is israeli defense(mossad) force bloodlines (mother and father worked  border patrol )between finland and israel,

you are correct: for general yard/farm work,(dingo) pariah are good;

hope you like the add on's