After about 100 ks the tyres on my ford ranger are sqealing when you brake on corners. Anyone know anything,or could this be the road surface. Been to the garage three times and the've fixed it three times. Last time two days ago new wheel bearings, but the problem still there. HHeeelp!!!!!!!!

Hopefully Ford didn't decide to ship all of their blowout Firestone tire stock to the LOS.

Try driving on dirt or grass. My tires screech a bit on waxy concrete (and whatever kind of concrete they use in the Siam Discovery parking garage) and granite but not on the street.

:o

After about 100 ks the tyres on my ford ranger are sqealing when you brake on corners. Anyone know anything,or could this be the road surface. Been to the garage three times and the've fixed it three times. Last time two days ago new wheel bearings, but the problem still there. HHeeelp!!!!!!!!

I had the same thing on the new tires I got from Izuzu. They even squeeled in slow uturns and at stop lights, once the tires got warm. I, too, went to the shop, but no change...

I assumed it was the tire, that maybe they use a cheaper compound in the tires on new trucks they deliver, or maybe something with the tread design...

I didn't feel safe, so after a couple of months, I bought new tires from GoodYear. No noises since then...

Can this make you feel better?

my tyres (on Toyota Tiger 4WD, Aut) are :

Bridgestone Dueler, H/T, 255/70 R 15, Steel belted Radial M+S

I have this car for about 18 month, have been to every service, have the tyres checked I don't know how many times, and on every U-turn, as slow as I make it, they are squealing!!!

On every change (back/forward) they are checked, still the same!

I have given up!

But if you find out why, and what to do, pls let me know!

Could it be the wheel alignment?

That was my first thought, too. If I had more miles on the tire, I'd start to see it in the wear pattern, but since it was a new tire, I had them check everything on their computer stuff when it first started. No problem, in my case.. And later checked again, with the same result...

Ahhhh, could it be stuck in 4 wheel drive, that happened to me before with a brand new landrover, the first year it was always in 4 wheel drive and i was going thru tyres like nobodies business, even on selecting 2 wheel drive it was still in 4 wheel drive.

Lampard and chico

Try increasing your tyre pressure a little bit and see if that works. It does with my car. I run the tyres at 35 psi.

My desert duelers squealed whenever they dropped below 30psi. Also watch for tread separation on the duelers, they are bad for it. I've had 7 tyres separate in the past 4 years and have now changed to bridgestones.

NL

Edited by NarrLing

i think it might be a combination of lots of things , the type of rubber compound in the tyre , the tread pattern , the type of road surface and whether you use 2 or 4 wheel drive.

if you turn a corner using 4 wheel drive the front wheels are being powered to pull the car round the corner and at the same time the rear wheels are being powered to push the car straight ahead , the front wheels will have to resist the forward moment coming from the rear wheels and hence they will squeal as they resist the forward moment.

in 2 wheel drive , if its the front wheels that are driven , (as on most small cars these days) , there will be little or no squeal , unless the car is cornering at a speed that makes the tyre slide on the road

with rear wheel driven cars like bmw's and pick ups when in 2 wheel drive , there is the push from the driven rear wheels that put the forward moment on the front wheels during turning and hence the likelihood of squeal.

different tyre compounds and different road surfaces will modify or amplify the noise.

if the tyre pressures are low then more of the tyre will be in contact with the road and the tyre will be softer and easier to deform under load and therefore noisier.

It is the road surface which is doing it.

I have come acroos this problem before and no ammount of adjustment will get rid of it.

When a friend of mine had the same problem on his Mazda (2WD) I stood by the traffic lights to listen from the roadside.

About half the cars were making the same noise.

My Ford Ranger is just over 3 years old and still has the original Michelin tyres (but they are wearing a bit now) and I have always had that problem and the best cure I have found so far is to turn the music up so I can't hear it. When I am stopped I can't hear it either.

So no problem. :o

Your tyres are doing great. My work fleet of 8 rangers all needed their original tyres changed after 35,000k. Most of the driving was on concrete surfaces. We’ve fitted Kumho tyres now and they seem to be lasting longer.

NL

Your tyres are doing great. My work fleet of 8 rangers all needed their original tyres changed after 35,000k. Most of the driving was on concrete surfaces. We’ve fitted Kumho tyres now and they seem to be lasting longer.

NL

Extremely hot roads make the surfaces slippery, the tar becomes smooth and over a period, the gravel/stones get pushed away from the surface. Then add on all the accumulated rubbish oil/eroded rubber/dust that is sitting on top of the surface because there hasn't been any rain, and bingo, a squeal.

4 wd also contributes as mentioned above.

NL

Extremely hot roads make the surfaces slippery, the tar becomes smooth and over a period, the gravel/stones get pushed away from the surface. Then add on all the accumulated rubbish oil/eroded rubber/dust that is sitting on top of the surface because there hasn't been any rain, and bingo, a squeal.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.. As mentioned, after changing my squealing tires, the new ones have never squeeled again, even in the same spots under the same old squeeling conditions...

I would say that if your tires are regularly squealing under unusual conditions, it is still a dangerous sign that your tires are losing grip. Replacement seems the only sane and safe option, frankly, even if you don't know the exact cause... You can't fix the road, but you can fix the abnormal tire squealing problem by changing the tire, in my experience.

NL

Yeah,

My fleet of Thai built rangers are out in the desert and regularly drive on roads in 40+c temperatures, with melted tar and plenty of oil etc after no rain in months. That's where I notice increasing the tyre pressures stops the tyre squeal. Now I just have to work out how to stop the brake squeal when the dust beds into the front pads.

NL