Teaching English To Thai Girlfriend

bdmike

I was hoping that someone out there could help me out. I want to get ahold of some teaching materials to improve my Thai gf's English. Any suggestions? Any books or programs out there that seem to make learning English a little easier. I will be teaching her one on one, so if there are any books or programs geared toward that type of learning....let me know. Thanks, Mike

I was hoping that someone out there could help me out.  I want to get ahold of some teaching materials to improve my Thai gf's English. Any suggestions?  Any books or programs out there that seem to make learning English a little easier.  I will be teaching her one on one, so if there are any books or programs geared toward that type of learning....let me know. Thanks,  Mike

You may want to suss out her learning style first.

Some key points it would be good to know before recommending something:

Is this your idea or hers? If she isn't motivated to learn, you are facing a dire task.

How many years of school has she been through? If she only has a few years you may have to choose learning material that picks up where her schooling left off.

In general, when teaching, build up her vocabulary and center the learning around things she is genuinely interested in. For example, if she is crazy about power tools, then try to gear your lessons towards those.

Do you yourself have any previous teaching experience?

Withnail has plenty of practical experience in teaching English, I am sure he has some suggestions for you.

I was hoping that someone out there could help me out.  I want to get ahold of some teaching materials to improve my Thai gf's English. Any suggestions?  Any books or programs out there that seem to make learning English a little easier.  I will be teaching her one on one, so if there are any books or programs geared toward that type of learning....let me know. Thanks,  Mike

You may want to suss out her learning style first.

Some key points it would be good to know before recommending something:

Is this your idea or hers? If she isn't motivated to learn, you are facing a dire task.

How many years of school has she been through? If she only has a few years you may have to choose learning material that picks up where her schooling left off.

In general, when teaching, build up her vocabulary and center the learning around things she is genuinely interested in. For example, if she is crazy about power tools, then try to gear your lessons towards those.

:o:D

Sorry. Had to laff at that.

Cc

Do you yourself have any previous teaching experience?

Withnail has plenty of practical experience in teaching English, I am sure he has some suggestions for you.

If this whole idea is yours and not hers my recommendation would be a familly size bottle of valium. I lived with my ex girlfriend for 3 years and although her English was adequate she showed little interest in wanting to improve it. Certainly not from me.

I would recommend if she is interested in learning and if you can afford it for you to enroll her on a proper course (or get a private tutor such as yours truly :o ) If she's not interested however I wouldn't bother.

I will say however that as her boyfriend, and pressumably you are living together the most important thing you can do is to ALWAYS speak to her normally and correctly without reverting to "Thaiglish" and perhaps to brush up on your grammar to help you explain any questions she might have. It's also a good idea to politely correct anything she say's wrong otherwise she'll pick up a lot of bad habits that will be very hard to correct.

I would be happy to recommend some books however some more information would be handy. What is her level of education and her current level of English. What areas does she need particular improvement in i.e. pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary etc.

Also where are you from as most of the books will focus either on British or American English and I'm sure you'll have a preference.

Withnail

P.S. Thanks for the plug Meadish

Edited by withnail

I will say however that as her boyfriend, and pressumably you are living together the most important thing you can do is to ALWAYS speak to her normally and correctly without reverting to "Thaiglish"

Great advice!! My wife had three good friends who all ended moving to the U.S. about the same time she did ('75-'76). We still visit one every summer and the other two we see occaisionaly or talk to on the phone. My wife's English is WAY better than theirs and I sure the big difference is I did as suggested above. To this day I still correct her grammar and she is still eager to learn.

Exactly. Thai girls that live with English speaking foreigners already have a massive advantage over most students of English living in Thailand in that they have to use the language they are learning and they probably do so everyday.

It's amazing how many students I have taught that show up for 2 or 4 hours a week without having used any English in between and wonder why they are having trouble picking the language up.

Most English books out there serve 2 purposes firstly to teach English grammar and secondly to try and present the grammar in realistic everyday situations. This is where they usually fail as they are not specifically aimed towards any particular student.

If she is already regularly in situations where she needs to use English then far better to taylor what your teaching her to these familiar situations than have her practising a conversation between Pierre and Marcus about windsurfing and directions to the nearest museum.

I was hoping that someone out there could help me out. I want to get ahold of some teaching materials to improve my Thai gf's English. Any suggestions? Any books or programs out there that seem to make learning English a little easier. I will be teaching her one on one, so if there are any books or programs geared toward that type of learning....let me know. Thanks, Mike

Why are you posting on the Thai language section? Try the teaching one, that's where the teachers hang out.

I would agree with above, don't try it yourself.

Also, I disagree with many "experts" on whether to get a native speaker or not.

In my experience, total beginners do best with a native speaker who can speak Thai and has a knowledge of Thai culture. If they go to school, such as ECC and the like, a native speaker is not always best choice.

Can you speak Thai?

If not, are you going to classes?

Exactly. Thai girls that live with English speaking foreigners already have a massive advantage over most students of English living in Thailand in that they have to use the language they are learning and they probably do so everyday.

It can be a two-way street too... her English will improve, and your Thai will improve too.

But you've both got to have the desire to learn... :D

Basics, are best taught and absorbed in a formal class... refinement of basics or advanced language, can be learnt at home if you're both willing. :o

It can be a two-way street too... her English will improve, and your Thai will improve too.

But you've both got to have the desire to learn...

I agree. My wife hasn't improved her English in the last couple of years as she has been busy or/and lazy/uninterested.
Basics, are best taught and absorbed in a formal class... refinement of basics or advanced language, can be learnt at home if you're both willing.

Most my teacher friends would not agree to this. I think that very basics could be learned with a tutor at home, like my wife had. A mate who could speak fluent Thai, but English native teacher. Getting to elementary level, I would agree that a class is better. I would say a class is better up to advanced.

Basics, are best taught and absorbed in a formal class... refinement of basics or advanced language, can be learnt at home if you're both willing. :o

That is 100% how I prefer to learn languages and I think it goes for most people who are comfortable in/used to a formal learning situation. Everyone is different though.

Basics, are best taught and absorbed in a formal class... refinement of basics or advanced language, can be learnt at home if you're both willing. :D

That is 100% how I prefer to learn languages and I think it goes for most people who are comfortable in/used to a formal learning situation. Everyone is different though.

:o Can only say that my own diction is very far from perfect, and because of that would not attempt to 'teach' my wife English. However I am very proud of the way in which she has applied herself and achieved quite a reasonable standard, simply by sitting down with a daily newspaper, and several dictionaries. She spends a lot of time, not simply in translating, but in noting down words, their meanings and pronounciations. I wish that I could do the same in learning Thai, but find that the grey matter does not absorb things so easily nowdays.

:D

I would like my Thai wife to improve her English skills aswell but the cost of the course where I live is ridiculous!

I looked yesterday and for a 3 month part-time course at the local college it is going to cost £1809!!

But if she was one of these bastard asylum seekers she would get it for nothing because this ######ing shitty goverment would pay for it!! :o