Laterite Bricks

quiksilva

Hi Guys,

I am planning on using laterite bricks to create raised planting beds, perhaps 0.5m high by 0.5m deep, and 5m long. This would be filled with rocks, sand and soil (to promote good drainage). Is this material suitable for such a job?

If so, does anybody have an idea about the going price of the red laterite bricks?

Hi Guys,

I am planning on using laterite bricks to create raised planting beds, perhaps 0.5m high by 0.5m deep, and 5m long. This would be filled with rocks, sand and soil (to promote good drainage). Is this material suitable for such a job?

If so, does anybody have an idea about the going price of the red laterite bricks?

I'm also interested in a supplier / sizes / price etc. and I intend researching this in a week or so will pass any info. I come up with.

• 10 years later...

Are they just going to stack on the ground or are you going to mortar them? 

There will be no bottom, correct? 

Do you want to use them because you like the way they look? I would guess they’ll turn white or black or both once they are soaked. 

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Mogandave 

if they,ll stay stabl I’d be happy to avoid mortar.

im afraid I don’t understand your other two questions/comments

The bottom of the planter will just be the ground, yes? 

Given the porosity of the blocks, they will likely soak through with water. When/if the water dries it will turn the blocks white.  If it doesn’t dry it will turn the blocks black. 

0.5m might be a little high to rely on gravity alone unless the blocks are very large or inter-locking. 

Laterite blocks are very porous, but do not turn black that I have ever seen. They look exactly like you bought them as the years go by, save any dirt splashing on them. They are very good for landscaping because they are a natural occurring rock and long lasting. They can be found at any nursery. Most common size is roughly 40x20x8cm but other sizes can sometimes be found. The problem with these blocks is they are cut very haphazardly. Some a few centimeters longer than the next, some a few centimeters thicker than the next. Some with taper. I would suggest tamping down the spot where they are to be used and putting a bed of sand down first. Then use clay from the ground to fill gaps as you lay blocks. You could use a concrete foundation and mortar, but that's way overkill and will not look as good.