42 In Flat Screen

alexpalex

Just curious if there's anyone here who recently purchased an HD TV (720 or 1080p) in the 42 inch range, and are aware of any good current or upcoming promotions at any retailers in Bangkok--HomePro, PowerBuy, etc...

Also, I recently saw a 42-inch, 1080p model from TCL at Big C for 20,000. Understand that they do a lot of manufacturing for Philips. Would buying this model be a big performance compromise?

I don't recall hearing that TCL manufacture for philips, Philips has their own panel factory if I recall. I'd stay away from the cheaper brands and stick with Samsung, Sony, Philips, LG etc... TBH

I just bought a Panasonic plasma 42' for 25990 at Numchai store in Pattaya its not full HD but will upscale to 1080p the plasma TV is much better for TV sports or Quick moving programs or Movies than the cheaper LCD's. The LCD's TV's will have to be in a higher price range with 100 Hz or 200 hz to stop the motion blur that occur in the cheaper Models.

Regards

Scotsman

I just bought a Panasonic plasma 42' for 25990 at Numchai store in Pattaya its not full HD but will upscale to 1080p the plasma TV is much better for TV sports or Quick moving programs or Movies than the cheaper LCD's. The LCD's TV's will have to be in a higher price range with 100 Hz or 200 hz to stop the motion blur that occur in the cheaper Models.

Regards

Scotsman

I have a 42" LCD Philips at 50k baht and a 50" Samsung plasma at 29900 baht. The Plasma has so much better picture. Espesially colors and responsetime.

• 1 month later...

Regards

Scotsman

I have a 42" LCD Philips at 50k baht and a 50" Samsung plasma at 29900 baht. The Plasma has so much better picture. Espesially colors and responsetime.

hello

whats the model number of the Samsung please

• 1 month later...

I have 42inch Samsung 780 Plasma, was the cheapest at the time I love it, I also have a 50" 1080 Samsung Plasma I bought in Power Buy for 37,000thb about 4 months ago, it was a one off not really a promotion, this I believe to be the cheapest way to buy just wait til you come across a bargain, like everything you go looking you won't find. But as they say make sure it hasn't been the demo model for 6 months. I have never owned a big LCD TV, a 32" Panasonic, but that is gone now and I believe that Plasma rules in picture quality, but not in power consumption! I would say Plasma produces a Luxuriant picture and LCD an Analytical picture. What I now enjoy most is the 42" in the bedroom I would never buy a 32" again.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw 40" Sony 1080p LCDs at 20,994 at Power Buy the other week. (clearance items as newer models were in). Went back two days later with the cash to buy one and they'd all gone...

The rule in Thailand is, if you see a bargain, pick it up, as they disappear quickly.

you need to look at more than price, resolution and size. connections are very important, as well as what formats the usb can understand (if there is a usb). also, if you are close to the tv, 42" is just too big sometimes. getting a full hd without usb or lan would be pretty bad IMO, because you now get full hd models with these connections and it increases the accessibility of hd content drastically.

about plasma and lcd: i am a huge plasma fan. but the new lcd and led are very good and a huge improvement on the technology. Personally i would avoid led, its too much money for little difference.

good luck!

I don't recall hearing that TCL manufacture for philips, Philips has their own panel factory if I recall. I'd stay away from the cheaper brands and stick with Samsung, Sony, Philips, LG etc... TBH

My wife has a downer on all things Samsung - don't know why.

We bought a TCL 3 months ago and thus far it has been absolutely fine