Buying An Acoustic Guitar In Bangkok

JimmyJBreeze

For really good quality I would go to the Gibson Fender dealership in Central World. Also, on Petchburi Rd. there is a music store -- don't remember the name of it -- that sells Martins. It's on the other side of the street from Pantip Plaza but closer to the BTS.

And there are many shops that sell good medium range guitars like Wasburn, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc. Just look around any shopping mall.

The majority of malls will have music stores. There seems to be two main dealerships; the one that sells Martins and another that sells Ovation and Takamine. Yamaha are popular too.

I have several guitars that I bought here including a D28 but I have just bought a Yamaha that was a third of the price of the D28 which is amazing. I haven't picked another guitar up since I got this.

As the title says, where would you recommend to go to buy a good quality acoustic guitar in Bangkok?

Thanks

Hello Jimmy

Pan Thip plaza has a good little shop on the second floor.

As has been mentioned most of the malls have a music section, also there are two shops near Pan Thip one on the same side and the other across the road heading towards skytrain.

Hope this helps.

The shop across from Panthip is actually across from the Indonesian Embassy.

It's the authorized C.F. Martin dealer. Also authorized Marshall Amp dealer, Paul Reed Smith guitars, and a few other well known high quality music products. They also sell pianos, (marching) band and orchastra instruments. I think the name is "Lucky Music". It's been there forever.

The shop in central world (2nd floor or 3rd floor if you count the ground floor) is an authorized dealer for Gibson, Music Man, Fender, Vox, Ephiphone, and a few others. They also have Taylor guitars but not sure if they are authorized dealer.

Also on the same floor of Central world is a shop that sells Hamer, Ovation and Takamine guitars as well as Line6 amps. There is also a newer shop selling misc guitars (and Orange Amps and high wuality pedals from the US) there.

That shop on the Mezenine floor of Panthip doesn't have many high quality guitars although I occasionally see the odd Fender and Gibson there ..

As the title says, where would you recommend to go to buy a good quality acoustic guitar in Bangkok?

Thanks

Hello Jimmy

Pan Thip plaza has a good little shop on the second floor.

As has been mentioned most of the malls have a music section, also there are two shops near Pan Thip one on the same side and the other across the road heading towards skytrain.

Hope this helps.

This store sells very overpriced second hand music equipment! I wouldn't recommend it at all

• 10 months later...

I've bought all my stuff from China town! Many shops here.This is where you will get the best deals as they can afford to give you great discounts as the shop rents are cheap and yes they sell originals!!

Anyone know more specifically where these guitar shops are in China town?

I've noticed some Ovation AE128 (Shallow Bowl Acoutic/Electric with 7545 type preamp) copies around with the names of Storm, Paramount, Perfect and others. I understand they are manufactured by the same company and they place different names on them. Anyone know about their quality.....where one can get the lowest price on one of these in Bangkok? I've found a new one in my local town for 3,600 Baht but I'm not an experienced guitarist so I'm not sure of the playability etc. I'm currently learning on a Yamaha F-310 (love it!) but want something that is electric too.

I'm also looking for a modestly priced 3/4 classical guitar for practice and travel.....any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by Martian

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed some Ovation AE128 (Shallow Bowl Acoutic/Electric with 7545 type preamp) copies around with the names of Storm, Paramount, Perfect and others. I understand they are manufactured by the same company and they place different names on them. Anyone know about their quality.....where one can get the lowest price on one of these in Bangkok? I've found a new one in my local town for 3,600 Baht but I'm not an experienced guitarist so I'm not sure of the playability etc. I'm currently learning on a Yamaha F-310 (love it!) but want something that is electric too.

I'm also looking for a modestly priced 3/4 classical guitar for practice and travel.....any ideas?

Thanks!

I bought one of these in Roi Et a few weeks ago and I do declare it is the best 100 dollar guitar I've ever owned! The shop even gave me a free set of (genuine) ovation strings to go with it, which in the Uk would have cost half the price I paid for the guitar.

When I saw it I was astonished that anyone would be so brazen as to copy an ovation - and yet the workmanship is far better than anyone could expect for 100 bucks and it has decent tuning heads and fairly easy action (although I'm tempted to improve it by shaving the lower bridge a touch.)

Mine is also very pretty, a dark red sunburst with a black and silver ring for the soundhole (mine is a "Perfect" brand, legend-style body, but I saw balladeer style bodies also.)

It's nicely proportioned - small enough for travel i'd have thought - and sounds sweet, although I haven't amped it yet so i can't vouch for the pre/pickup, but it's sure a fun acoustic for very little money.

Edited by tommet