Pattaya Flood

johng

Diesel and gas engines can run with their exhust under water, just depends on how far under the size of the motor etc. As long as the pressure from the water is not high enough to stop the exhaust you are ok, what you really need to worry about is you intake, if you suck up some water in the intake it goes into the engine and can cause allot of problems. (bent rod, head gasket etc)

I told my wife 100 times not to drive into water, but of course in one ear out the other, ended up having the complete engine overhauled (this was in the USA $3200 to fix it)

be careful in the water!!!

?????

how do the the exhaust fumes , leave the engine ????

if you want to sabotage the car , of your worst neighbour ,,

just ram , a spud up the exhaust pipe ,,,,

not understand , why car no start ,,

contact ,

neighberhood watchdog

mr murphy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall that after the flooding last year, city hall said that they were clearing the plastic bags out of the storm drains to ensure that this never happened again.

post-51002-1255450835_thumb.png

I seem to recall that after the flooding last year, city hall said that they were clearing the plastic bags out of the storm drains to ensure that this never happened again.

Aloha

One way to slow up the amount of waste water that mixes in with our rain water, is to stencil the storm drains in heavy foot trafic areas,

educate the unknowing, that the only thing that should go into our storm drains is rain water, start imposing fines to the Thai and Farang

that dump garbage, cooking and motor oil, toxic cigarette butts on to our streets in our storm drains, all these things plug up the

drains and back wash into our living areas, then it makes it into our ocean, it kills our sea food and also washes back on to our beaches.

The stenciling would at least solve some of the problem. In Thai and English (GOES TO OCEAN)(NO GARBAGE) WITH A PICTURE, SO ALL

UNDERSTAND. Talking the talk won't get the job done, walking the walk to Pattaya City Hall, might.

We are all in this neighborhood together. NOW is the only time there is.

post-51002-1255452442_thumb.jpg

With most of Pattaya's roads being reconstructed over the past few years along with new drainage pipes one wonders at the capabilities of the public works department. Recent rains are not exceptional... 2 thumbs down for the city planners....they should be publicly hanged for their inefficiencies......

The rain and subsequent flooding we have had in Pattaya is nothing more than a minor inconvenience for a couple of hours.

Spare a thought for people in places like Ayutthia(Sp?) who have their land and properties under water for weeks at a time, or Suphan Buri city where the government has been known to intentionally flood the entire city centre with run off from the Chayo Phria river in an attempt to lessen the flood impact on Bangkok!!! People getting ferried around in tractors for WEEKS at a time!!!!

Think of that next time we get a little interuption in Pattaya - we are lucky!! :)

Whatever criticism you may level at the Thais, their ability to smile, joke and accept extreme misfortune is remarkable.

Last night the entire area of 2nd Road, and many of the adjoining Sois were more than a foot under water, and the interiors of nearly all the bars, restaurants, shops and guest houses were also badly flooded.

Yet I didn't see so much as a frown anywhere. Their businesses were badly disrupted, most places had been forced to close, the staff were sitting atop of tables and chairs waiting for the water to subside.

No one was making any money, but no-one was complaining.

Many were laughing and joking.

We may have many frustrations when dealing with some of the more unsavoury aspects of Thai culture, but their ability to smile in the face of adversity, and accept what life throws at them is an object lesson to most of us from the west.

Great words! That's one of the reasons why I love this country and feel like at home here for more then 7 years!

Couldn't agree more...if it happened in the UK we'd be <deleted> & blinding (or crying) but the Thais take it all in their stride & get on with it (witness the tsunami!). We've got a lot to learn from them.

After reading these all posts I realise I was lucky. I was towards the southern end of Soi Buhkow, just had a massage, waited 20 minutes for a baht bus which fortunately dropped me at my hotel in Naklua Road an hour later. I was certain it would conk out & that I'd have to start wading with the others. Best 10 baht I've ever spent!

Aloha

One way to slow up the amount of waste water that mixes in with our rain water, is to stencil the storm drains in heavy foot trafic areas,

educate the unknowing, that the only thing that should go into our storm drains is rain water, start imposing fines to the Thai and Farang

that dump garbage, cooking and motor oil, toxic cigarette butts on to our streets in our storm drains, all these things plug up the

drains and back wash into our living areas, then it makes it into our ocean, it kills our sea food and also washes back on to our beaches.

The stenciling would at least solve some of the problem. In Thai and English (GOES TO OCEAN)(NO GARBAGE) WITH A PICTURE, SO ALL

UNDERSTAND. Talking the talk won't get the job done, walking the walk to Pattaya City Hall, might.

Or how about illegally fixing large notices asking people not to drop cigarette ends in the drains, but put them right on the storm drains to prevent full water access, like you have done on Jotmien Beach?

Shocking but true. Or better still, fix them to trees, damaging their bark and blighting the beach area. Oh, you have.....

The Thai Meteo said it was 55 mm of rain per sqm yesterday. Not too much though, BKK used to get far above 100 mm/sqm this season. However it much depends where the weather station is located, there might be huges differences among two not too far distanced locations.

I think the problem is not easy to get solved and too be frank, this kind of flooding happens 1-2 times a year, usually in Sept./Oct. Guess many Thais don't take it as serious as us...

What is it with Thaland and Thais? These flooded roads are only a few years old. Thats recet eough to have learned that you need a drainage system, i.e., holes alone the side of the road with a cover on the top so nobody falls in and somewhere for the water to go. Is this hard? Other countries manage, but never Thailand. What is wrong with Thais?

Very heavy rain for two hours this morning At Ban Ampur just down from Pattaya. The dirt road outside my house became a river and the pond in my garden burst it's banks so I guess Pattaya will have been hit quite hard. Anybody there?

Aloha

collect the house water weasth separatted from the rain water problem done

More rain seems to be on the way from the North this time, however still far away and not sure where it will hit.

Funny enough I drove this morning out of Pattaya to SriRacha. It was very dark in Pattaya, and not much later the rain started (more than 60 l / sqm). In SriRacha "traces" just drizzle.

Cheers

Someone mentioned car electrics being relatively sealed. But alternators in cars are not sealed at all, water can get right into the coils and the voltage regulator electronics inside.

I had one go after a relarively modest flood in BKK. Fortunately rather than throwing them out as you would in the west, in Thailand there are plenty of places you can get them repaired inexpensively.

I reckon one important thing is to leave the engine running after you are out of the flood, to keep it hot and evaporate the water, not just park up and wait for all the internal water to corrode everything.

Diesel and gas engines can run with their exhust under water, just depends on how far under the size of the motor etc. As long as the pressure from the water is not high enough to stop the exhaust you are ok, what you really need to worry about is you intake, if you suck up some water in the intake it goes into the engine and can cause allot of problems. (bent rod, head gasket etc)

I told my wife 100 times not to drive into water, but of course in one ear out the other, ended up having the complete engine overhauled (this was in the USA $3200 to fix it)

be careful in the water!!!

Some cars have the air intake very low to the ground and can suck up water into the intake. Hydrolock is a bad thing. At low engine rpm, you might get lucky not to damage the engine and fix it by pulling the spark plugs, turning over the engine and changing the oil.

Exhaust is fine, but if you do drive in deep water, be sure to apply a bit of brake pressure to dry your brakes after moving out of the water.

If you can, within a few days, drive long enough to heat up the axle bearings to drive out any water that might get into them or sucked into the differential (rear or front or both on 4wd) due to the cooling of the differential oil. Some vehicles are designed for running in deep water, the differential vents are plumbed higher up the chassis, most are small vents on top of the differential housing or transmission on front wheel drive vehicles. Rust can form quickly and compromise the lubricants or internal parts.

Hehe. Wheel and axle bearings. Glad you mentioned that. As a former owner of several 4WD vehicles that have seen their share of wet driving, it recalls the time I was doing a brake job, and when I pulled off the front dust cap to get to the wheel and axle, water gushed out. Don't even know how long it had been like that. Amazing the water got in, and takes a while to get out. If you do want to keep your car a long time, do indeed service the bearings after significant wetness.