Meridian And Mark Levinson Open Showrooms In Bangkok

CarlBkk

I'm not knocking them being the hi-fi buff I am, but I was amazed to find brand new very expensive looking showrooms in Paragon for Meridian and Mark Levinson. For those who don't know, this is top end equipment often in the millions (of baht). We have KS Sons on the same floor with their McIntosh (same league) in which I've never ever seen a potential customer and hardly ever even a browser. How they make money I just don't know.

How they make money I just don't know.

In most cases you'll find that audiophiles make their money the old fashioned way - they earn it.

Oh I didn't mean the customers who can afford the equipment, I meant the shops opening up with massive rents and hugely expensive equipment. I know Bangkok has a fair few tycoons, but how many are interested in high-end hi-fi, and then how often will they change their equipment? This equipment is made to last several decades sounding great and the 2nd hand market is minute.

As for the hi-fi shows, yes they get a lot of interest...but it's the mid-range equipment that fills the show. The "affordable separates for the rich" such as B&W, Marantz, Naim etc. Vastly different from the McIntosh, Krell, Levinsons and top end Japanese valve amps. The next 2 shows here I think are in November but I won't be here (again). Has anyone been the London Heathrow biggie in September? Superb.

Hi Carl,

I went to the Heathrow show a year or so back but the problem was there were two competing ones running at the same time (Hi-Fi News and Hi-Fi World IIRC, think I went to the former). Anyways, Heathrow is no more and moved to somewhere in Northamptonshire(!) this year but apparently was very successful. The Bristol show is also supposed to be well worth a visit and in mainland Europe, Munich has a fantastic reputation.

Cheers.

Both brands have been around in Thailand for some time. Mark Levinson showroom used to be (if not still is) in Amarin Plaza, more discreet location than Paragon, and Meridian in Hi-Fi Center (old Big C), a ghost mall if you ask me. Maybe they've come to realize it's time they should start raise brand awareness in Thai market and expand sales to non-repeat client. Meridian distributorship seems to be recently taken over by DECO 2000 (same owner as the Grammphone CD shop in Paragon and also a major distributor for various high-end) from Institute of Audio who is a B&W distributor.

The "affordable separates for the rich" such as B&W, Marantz, Naim etc. Vastly different from the McIntosh, Krell, Levinsons and top end Japanese valve amps. The next 2 shows here I think are in November but I won't be here (again).

I've seen some top end models from top end brands including McIntosh, Krell and Levinsons being displayed and demoed in Thai HiFi shows, but not one in March this year (not surprisingly). You have any info for shows in November Carl?

Edited by Nordlys

Both brands have been around in Thailand for some time. Mark Levinson showroom used to be (if not still is) in Amarin Plaza, more discreet location than Paragon, and Meridian in Hi-Fi Center (old Big C), a ghost mall if you ask me. Maybe they've come to realize it's time they should start raise brand awareness in Thai market and expand sales to non-repeat client. Meridian distributorship seems to be recently taken over by DECO 2000 (same owner as the Grammphone CD shop in Paragon and also a major distributor for various high-end) from Institute of Audio who is a B&W distributor.
The "affordable separates for the rich" such as B&W, Marantz, Naim etc. Vastly different from the McIntosh, Krell, Levinsons and top end Japanese valve amps. The next 2 shows here I think are in November but I won't be here (again).

I've seen some top end models from top end brands including McIntosh, Krell and Levinsons being displayed and demoed in Thai HiFi shows, but not one in March this year (not surprisingly). You have any info for shows in November Carl?

Hi again Nordlys. A lot of Mark Lev stuff is in the Amarin Shop, but I don't think it's the official brand showroom like the newly opened one in Paragon. Several small dealers of different exotica come and go in Amarin so it's always worth a look. Audio Excellence is still pretty established there.

I've attached some info on the two shows coming up.

post-19469-1255414215_thumb.jpg

post-19469-1255414435_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Carl. The show end this month at Windsor Hotel (What Hi-Fi) is apparently the same as one held in March, except they're now combining car audio to Audio & Visual (they used to have audio only shows)!

Mark Levinson is no longer listed on Elpa Shaw website, the old distributor in Thailand and apparently taken over by Mahajak Development who already has a showroom in Paragon (JBL, Denon, Chord, etc), so that explains the new Mark Levinson showroom there.

BTW have you checked out DECO's "outlet" store in Amarin Plaza? They sell used products that they traded in from customers. I bought a very mint condition, almost-new Aerial Acoustic Model 7B in April this year for 150,000 baht when the new one costs 280,000. Audio Excellence (IMAGE) sure is well established there but seems a bit quiet with no customer in the store the past few months I visited them. They now have a promotion on PS Audio Power Plant Premier (very good deal) that lasts till end this month.

Edited by Nordlys

Thanks for the photos, Carl. The show end this month at Windsor Hotel (What Hi-Fi) is apparently the same as one held in March, except they're now combining car audio to Audio & Visual (they used to have audio only shows)!

Mark Levinson is no longer listed on Elpa Shaw website, the old distributor in Thailand and apparently taken over by Mahajak Development who already has a showroom in Paragon (JBL, Denon, Chord, etc), so that explains the new Mark Levinson showroom there.

BTW have you checked out DECO's "outlet" store in Amarin Plaza? They sell used products that they traded in from customers. I bought a very mint condition, almost-new Aerial Acoustic Model 7B in April this year for 150,000 baht when the new one costs 280,000. Audio Excellence (IMAGE) sure is well established there but seems a bit quiet with no customer in the store the past few months I visited them. They now have a promotion on PS Audio Power Plant Premier (very good deal) that lasts till end this month.

I have seen that new store from the outside and it looked interesting. I still like the Droplet CD player...but I must resist. When did you buy the new speakers?? Post a new photo up of your system can you?

Yes, PS Audio have a great reputation...but when the £ is this low even the cheaper items become quite expensive for me!

Droplet CD player? Are you referring to Chord Choral series?

Speakers are bought in April, earlier this year I replaced my SACD player, Marantz again but to their flagship model SA-7S1 (which weighs as much as my power amplifier!). About the photo, how about give me your email address by PM or start a new thread where everyone can post a photo of their home entertainment system?

• 3 weeks later...
Droplet CD player? Are you referring to Chord Choral series?

Speakers are bought in April, earlier this year I replaced my SACD player, Marantz again but to their flagship model SA-7S1 (which weighs as much as my power amplifier!). About the photo, how about give me your email address by PM or start a new thread where everyone can post a photo of their home entertainment system?

Nope, Consonance (Chinese or Taiwanese) make the Droplet and mini Droplet. I put a photo of it in my thread above. If you next go into Hi-Fi Centre or Amarin can you check the price of Usher speakers (especially be718) ? THREE times cheaper from Taiwan than in UK or USA...but they won't export directly. Very curious to see how much they are in Thailand although I'm not there at the moment.

I'm not familiar with this brand and I don't remember having seen it anywhere in Thailand. Are you sure they're in either Amarin Plaza or Hi-Fi center? I don't go to Hi-Fi center any more anyway.

I went to What Hi-Fi A/V fair last week and learned for the first time ATC speakers are available in Thailand. It appears ATC's been around in LOS for the past 3 years. Not cheap, but they sure sound awesome even their cheapest bookshelf costing 50,000 baht.

You can see the Droplet at the shop next door to Audio Excellence in Amarin. Stunning piece of equipment.

Both ATC and PMC speakers are very well regarded in UK. If you want me to check prices here to compare let me know the model numbers.

ATC is a complete rip off in Thailand - 30,000THB for a pair of replacement HF units for my SCM50 - £90 shipped from ATC in the UK !!!!

Did they not tell you to buy the parts through the local distributor?

SCM7 price was 50,000 baht a pair, and SCM40 200,000 baht (if I got the model number right), promotional price during"What Hi-Fi" AV fair last week I believe. How do they compare in UK pricewise?

Both ATC and PMC speakers are very well regarded in UK. If you want me to check prices here to compare let me know the model numbers.

Is it really worth self-importing audio equipments with all the hassle of custom clearance and risk not being able to receive any service or upgrade from local distributor when the product develops problem, not to mention having to pay sales tax in both countries? The only time I did contemplate doing so is when there's no distributor in Thailand, like another well renowned British brand Herbeth. They were willing to ship their speaker directly to me, but with all the hassle of having to find another source to buy stand (Canada or Japan) I ended up buying a second hand Aerial, quite a bit more than Herbeth even at second hand but at least I did get to see and audition the product I was buying and it did help a great deal when they sent 3 staffs to my house not just for delivery but to help set up heavy, 50kg each speakers with spikes, which there's no way I could have set up myself (needs at least 3 men unless you're willing to place heavy speakers with spikes directly on flooring).

• 1 month later...

Deco 2000 moved from Discovery to Paragon, smallish shop selling Ayre etc.

Amarin is still pretty good. KS World moved downstairs to KS & Son old showroom. DECO has opened a few showrooms. One has a Boulder front end connected to a pair of Aerial 20T II at 1.4 million baht (just the speaker). The Boulder is UNREAL. Yeah Wuti is still there with Krell etc but pretty quiet. Wannai is making the money. I have an Ayre AX-7e & a pair of Aerial 5 bought at Mister Balance. ELPA Shaw gave up that Revel showroom & pulled back to their original one. If they are not the ML dealer I will be surprised. They certainly have Transparent cables.

Meridian, B&W, Nakamichi, Classe are in Gaysorn Plaza.

Edited by powderpuff

That Ayre shop that used to be in Discovery is actually one of DECO 2000's dealers. So is the small show room with Boulder and a pair of Aerial 20T in Amarin Plaza (next to IMAGE). The guy who owns it used to be DECO's employee. Mahajak Development took over ML and Ravel that ELPA Shaw gave up. Meridian is no longer distributed by the same distributor that imports B&W, Nakamichi and Classe, but taken over by DECO 2000 and they have a new showroom for it in Paragon.

Have you checked if "MP" upgrade is available for your AX-7? I've just got my K-5Xe upgraded to K-5XeMP, paid 16,000 baht for it. Well worth the money.

Edited by Nordlys

That store in Discovery was Wannai flagship store for a long time. Selling Totem Lexicon etc. Now he has some super secret showroom in Amarin - I was told I would have to make an appointment to audition the Ayre monoblocks. Wuti used to sell Avalon Martin Logan Magnepan & I forget what else - Spendor. I will never shop with Wuti again. a dick. I don't think Wannai has any sub dealers. He used to have one in HiFi mall (Big C0 but that is long gone. Where did the Accuphase JM Labs move to?

I've seen a few of those "super secretive" auditioning rooms in Amarin, and they belong to DECO 2000, actually they're inside DECO 2000's office in Amarin, on the 4th floor I believe (and there's no sign outside). One of the auditioning room has a set up that costs well over 10 million Baht, perhaps as much as 20 million baht including cables (a pair of speaker cable alone was over a million baht in that room). There are several rooms with different set of systems and yes, you need an appointment to audition them in those rooms, but not always necessary I assume as I managed to go there without one, perhaps because I didn't have any specific request for configuration (auditioned Ayre's monoblocks MX-R with the newer pre KX-R) or because I've been a regular customer with them.

Accuphase and JM Labs distributor has a showroom in Hi-Fi center, the old Big C building next to new Big C, opposite Central World.

What's so wrong with Wuti? Personally, I tend to avoid those Indian owned KS groups altogether. Their Indian owners seem fine, but their employees are some of the unfriendliest, unattentive and unhelpful folks I've seen at any retail shops in Thailand and certainly don't have the attitude or the courtesy you'd expect of a shop that sells premium brands. Their price also used to be far more expensive compared to Wuti's shop and DECO 2000.

Edited by Nordlys

Wuti is a rat.

Can you elaborate this a little bit and be more specific? I bought a few AC cables, AC main line conditioner, AV grade receptacles and AV grade power strip as well as quite a few "noise harvesters", all power related accessories from PS Audio but no expensive audio components like Krell, Wadia and ML and my experiences shopping with IMAGE have been a rather pleasant one. They are also make it easy for me to borrow their accessories and components for home auditioning without any hassle and condition e.g.deposit. This matters to me because I firmly believe picking the right distributor in a country like Thailand (especially when there are lacking dealer network) is no less important than picking a right brand IMO, if not more!

Edited by Nordlys