Tuition Fees At Thai Universities.

wamberal

I would be interested to know what it would cost for a local Thai person for an average year's tuition fees at a good university, for the subject of dentistry?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by PeaceBlondie
clarified topic

I don't have any idea about tuition at dentists' schools, but I do know that the lower-end public unis can be about 10-20K a term- up to several hundred thou a year for the better private programs- would guess an average dentist school tuition would be somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for that. We have friends whose daughter is studying at high school here in Australia, as a fee-paying overseas student, and she wants to study dentristy. The annual fees are of the order of AUD 56000 - which is a lot of THB. So maybe she would be far better off going back to LOS to study.

I don't have any idea about tuition at dentists' schools, but I do know that the lower-end public unis can be about 10-20K a term- up to several hundred thou a year for the better private programs- would guess an average dentist school tuition would be somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for that. We have friends whose daughter is studying at high school here in Australia, as a fee-paying overseas student, and she wants to study dentristy. The annual fees are of the order of AUD 56000 - which is a lot of THB. So maybe she would be far better off going back to LOS to study.

Only personal experience to go on (and that of the Thai mrs and family) but I have found that Thai dentists prefer to extract teeth to doing any work. When they can do the work it is usually only the very simple stuff. Mention a root canal or something we take as given a dentist could do and they all panic, say they can't do it and send you to a dental hospital or another dentist who has trained abroad.

If she wants good training therefore, I suggest she bites the bullet ( :) ) and finds the money to continue there.

Hope that is of some help.

ST

KKU has one.

I don't know the tuition for the dentistry program, but I do for the Pharma Faculty.

Regular Thai program is 12k per term (tuition only).

The International Program (all in English) is 50k per term.

They also have a 'special' program, for others. The fee is somewhere in between the above two.

Medical and Pharma programs are 6 years each. Assume the dentistry program is the same, but not positive of that.

Only personal experience to go on (and that of the Thai mrs and family) but I have found that Thai dentists prefer to extract teeth to doing any work. When they can do the work it is usually only the very simple stuff. Mention a root canal or something we take as given a dentist could do and they all panic, say they can't do it and send you to a dental hospital or another dentist who has trained abroad.

If she wants good training therefore, I suggest she bites the bullet ( :) ) and finds the money to continue there.

Hope that is of some help.

ST

Thanks for that. My personal experience is that I had some very good restorative work done in Thailand, by a locally trained dentist. When I returned to live in Thailand, the dentist that I went to back in Sydney actually commented on how good the work was.

I wonder whether Thai trained dentists (and doctors to some extent) are lacking in confidence in dealing with farang? And whether this is one reason for the unwillingness to do difficult work?

However, I personally would prefer to use a dentist trained in Australia, than one trained in Thailand, that is for sure, if I had the choice.