Teaching In Other Asian Countries Advice Plz

Hi all,

This is quite a complex post so apologises. I have been teaching in Thailand for 12 months and have returned home to visit family. I had little in the way of problems, taught in a variety of different roles and situations but was at home mostly with 7-12 year old children. Sure I had the frustrations with where I saw improvements that could have made a huge difference etc, but was left alone with a free hand the whole time with no interference from anyone which I know many don't get the luxury of!!! I therefore don't wish to be negative or moan in this regard.

I knew however, quite early on that this was a much tougher gig than I was prepared for as most teachers would vouch for no doubt. I still found it highly enjoyable and a great learning experience but there was no way I was going to do it long term in Thailand with the money on offer. So it is time to look elsewhere. I was also fortunate enough to have a friend who runs a language school- so saw much more of the ins and outs in a shorter period of time than most do and can!

What makes it a little harder is that my gf is Thai so I have to consider visa entry when looking for her also! I think with Korea she could probably come in and out on 3 month holiday visas for an initial 12 month period, with Japan however I'm not sure it's so easy.

I have been looking mainly on tefl.com at Korea, Japan and Hong Kong and as anyone with some experience and the apptitude will know there are plenty of jobs out there but quality is a different matter all together!

The boards seem packed with 'we don't want people who are just in it for the money type language schools' even though that's ok for them and exactly what there in it for, or 30 teaching hour a week contracts leaving you feeling 75 at the end of every week including Saturday work of course!

I have considered Japan (which appears a good balance between hours and pay) however the very recent listings 'the most expensive cities on the planet to live' put it at the top in places 1,2, and 3!!!!! Realistically I can't see me saving 1/2 a 90,000 baht salary there but I have read a fair bit of contradictory advice about it so could be dead wrong!

Hong Kong would be best as my gf has been to China 3 times for long periods with her university studies so I think they would be more understanding in visa matters, however there seem very few jobs here available on the internet other than for Masters educated teachers, although I probably just don't know where to look!

Other than that Korea appears great at throwing you all the trimmings, but you try finding a non-bonus, non-free flights non-bottle of wine and box of chocolates, 20 hour a week gig with solid salary and it's like trying to find Thaksin admitting responsibility for a screw up on an interview, just ONCE in his career!!

If anyone has any recommendations of where to look or experiences of schools I could contact which were actually fun, enjoyable, understanding, supportive......................I think you get what I mean, I've waffled long enough, the pertinent advice would be greatfully appreciated: :o

Regards

Mak

Edited by makavelithedon

I was in Japan quite a long time, until recently.

Every time this issue of "how much money can you make in Japan" comes up, you'll get two types of people- the idealists who say the sky's the limit (but mysteriously they usually are no longer in Japan) and the realists. I'm a realist.

You want to live in Japan with a THAI GIRL, basically.

First, the visa problems- as you may or may not have recently read in the newspapers here, Japan's been having problems with the number of destitute illegal Thai prostitutes that get abandoned, infected with HIV, or impregnated with stateless children. There's now going to be a crackdown on Thai visas into Japan- you can bet your girlfriend will certainly have trouble because of the political situation- unless you marry her. :o

Second, you will not be a single guy with few demands. You'll be wanting to live a real life there. That means your expenses will be MUCH higher from the beginning (if you want to have even the bare minimum of a livable room together- think 80-100,000 yen a month in downtown Tokyo or Osaka, and maybe half that 1 hr by train outside, with a $2-3000 deposit at the beginning). Your salary (at most language schools without overtime) will be roughly 250,000 yen a month- in other words, blue collar wages by Japanese standards. Most of your mature businessman students will be making at least double what you do.

There are good gigs there- private jobs that pay better, and better positions than at language schools- but you have to have good connections and charisma to get them, they're not going to fall in your lap. It could realistically be 3-4 years before you're in a situation that would really be described as "pretty good."

Good luck however things work out. If you have more specific questions I'll try to answer them.

"Steven"

Edited by Ijustwannateach

Hi Steven,

Thank you for the reply. I know the average wage bit and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Tokyo or one of the major cities. I wanted to go there primarily to save money not get ripped off left right and centre. 1-2 years was more my aim if I liked it enough to want to return after an initial 12 months. I have heard much of what you said before but its good to hear it again for some consitency of an accurate picture of the place.

Looks like Korea is a better bet I'll just have to sift long and hard through the reported mountains of unscrupulous language schools!

I would be glad of a few more pertinent replies if a few other people of such experiences reside here!!!!

Thanks again,

Mak.

Looks like Korea is a better bet I'll just have to sift long and hard through the reported mountains of unscrupulous language schools!

I've taught in Thailand, Taiwan, Saudi, and Korea (twice) - so have some perspective to share with you.

Korea does carry its risks, however, it is probably your best bet. Select your school carefully, always ask for a phone number to talk to one or two of the existing foreign teachers. Ask them to be straight with you - and give them lots of opportunities to say "yes" or "no" in case the boss or a Korean teacher is standing in the room listening (quite possible). Ask about getting paid in full and on time - if people leaving get their contracted bonuses - ask about the quality of the apartments, about split schedules (sometimes okay - just depends on when/how, where you live etc.)

Even if you teach a 25-30 hour schedule - usually it is with very set materials - and it will take a while to toughen up a bit - but you will get used to it after a few weeks.

Without the girlfriend - you could probably save about US$1000+ a month without too much difficulty. Lifestyle of course, makes a difference.

There are a lot of lousy schools in Korea - but - you can always bail and redo the process. Life is a bit of gamble - but a lot of people do very well in Korea.

Korea ain't Thailand - but then again you CAN save some serious money if you want to.