Please tell me if a person who has a(not someone who is on business in thailand) U.S. Military ID card could be used to gain a thai visa. Is there a way a person who has a U.S. Military ID card could use it for staus or political pull in gaining entry to Thailand??

Edited by Shy Butterfly Fly

Please tell me if a person who has a(not someone who is on business in thailand) U.S. Military ID card could be used to gain a thai visa. Is there a way a person who has a U.S. Military ID card could use it for staus or political pull in gaining entry to Thailand??

Sounds like excellent qualifications to become a make believe policeman in Pattaya :o nignoy

With the one I had, I travelled the world over, entered 30 countries and never once got a visa.... most of the time never even had a passport.

HOWEVER... it can only be used while on active duty and while with a visiting ship or military unit. The ID card can not be used to travel solo into Thailand, not even when arriving on a U.S. military airlift. Still need a passport with a visa, if you want to stay longer than the 30 day "freebie" on arrival.

The only time this would work in any way to your advantage is if you take a military "Space-A" flight. You will also have to have your Passport and Leave Papers. ( I just came off emergency leave to Thailand)

Amazing what feeling of power it seems to give you to be a US military on other soverign soil

It sure seems to give you virtually unlimited access to soil (and its resources) in at least Afghanistan and Iraq ...there's some talk about expanding that to Iran and North Korea now. Who knows, maybe your or my country is next, wouldn't that be cool! :o:D

Edited by rainman

Actually U.S. Military personnel can travel to any country in the world if the 3 test are met: 1.)Travel is conducted with a Military ID card. The traveler is under proper written orders to include leave orders 3.)This is based on a exisitng SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) between the United Satets and the country in question.

The SOFA is usually reciprocal allowing members of the particular nation to attend Military Academies and courses with nothing more than a Military ID Card and orders issued by the US Military, authorizing attendance at the school, exercise or other function. The SOFA also dictates as to which county will exercise judical jurisdiction, should a member violate the laws of a host nation.

Actually U.S. Military personnel can travel to any country in the world if the 3 test are met: 1.)Travel is conducted with a Military ID card.  The traveler is under proper written orders to include leave orders  3.)This is based on a exisitng SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) between the United Satets and the country in question. 

The SOFA is usually reciprocal allowing members of the particular nation to attend Military Academies and courses with nothing more than a Military ID Card and orders issued by the US Military, authorizing attendance at the school, exercise or other function.  The SOFA also dictates as to which county will exercise judical jurisdiction, should a member violate the laws of a host nation.

there is no SOFA with Thailand :o

[

I know that one we HAD died in 1976. When all the airbases were shutting down in the post Vietnam drawdown, we were in negotiations to keep the installation I was at open. It was an intelligence collection facility down the road from Udorn RTAFB. But the sticking point was that the Thai government wanted legal jurisdiction over U.S. military members and that was a deal breaker.

When that "soverign soil" requests and receives millions in aid, they tend to be quite reciprocal in their actions.

If you call it 'aid' that's up to you. I'd call it massive loan sharking and extortion.

Read a book called 'Confessions of an Economic Hitman,' and then get back to me on this.

My only gripe - the OP comes off as he deserves special treatment because he happens to be in the military. The same response would come from me regardless of what country they belong to.

There is no oil in Thailand. :o

There is no oil in Thailand. :o

They have a little bit and some gas. Plus that there's plenty of oil going through the Strait of Malacca which ain't too far away.

My only gripe - the OP comes off as he deserves special treatment because he happens to be in the military. The same response would come from me regardless of what country they belong to.

Yep, I think the "political pull" comment was a poor choice of words--otherwise it would have sounded like a simple question from someone holding a military ID.

[

I know that one we HAD died in 1976. When all the airbases were shutting down in the post Vietnam drawdown, we were in negotiations to keep the installation I was at open. It was an intelligence collection facility down the road from Udorn RTAFB. But the sticking point was that the Thai government wanted legal jurisdiction over U.S. military members and that was a deal breaker.

whoever decided to deny the SOFA status is stupid, when we go there now, because there is no SOFA, we do fall under their jurisdiction if we commit an offense off base, so the SOFA status wouldnt be affected with that

When that "soverign soil" requests and receives millions in aid, they tend to be quite reciprocal in their actions.

If you call it 'aid' that's up to you. I'd call it massive loan sharking and extortion.

Read a book called 'Confessions of an Economic Hitman,' and then get back to me on this.

Another conspiracy book? Let me guess, he had some kind of insider job and when he was laid-off he decided to become an author and spill all. How convenient, I'm sure the author appreciates your business.

whoever decided to deny the SOFA status is stupid, when we go there now, because there is no SOFA, we do fall under their jurisdiction if we commit an offense off base, so the SOFA status wouldnt be affected with that

That would have been the Thai government that was elected in 75 and was subsequently outed in a coup AFTER we shut down the base.

the way to avoid the "extortion" is not request it.....

I've never used my military ID card in Thailand, unless I was just showing it to another farang.  It has no powers.  If there was or is a US military base in Thailand, you might get to go to the commissary/ship's store with it.

I've used mine on free round trip air travel, via US Air Force, to and from the USA. Save about $1,000 each time. Nice little benefit in my book.

if you dont commit an offense there shouldn't be reason to worry. :o

the benefit to the SOFA is that we wouldnt need passport to get in, just military ID and leave papers and the length of stay would be dictated by the papers

Spot on!