Post A Photo Of Your Beloved

CarlBkk

I'll make a feeble start because I haven't yet got the speakers to complete a system in Thailand! Here's the amp and CD player and DAC anyway. Krell KSA300s power amp fed by a Wadia 8 CD transport and 15 DAC, with a Squeezebox 3 (on top in the pic) wirelessly transferring mp3s from laptop into the DAC.

Other pics are UK system which is still going strong since I bought it at the age of 17: TEAC VRDS-10 CD player, John Shearne Phase 2 amp, Tannoy 611 speakers.

post-19469-1255539890_thumb.jpg

post-19469-1255539949.jpg

post-19469-1255540401.jpeg

post-19469-1255540439.jpeg

post-19469-1255540525.jpeg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just renovated my condo last month (due to major termite damage) and here are photos of my home entertainment system (more 2 channel pure audio oriented than home theater) before and after the renovation. "before" photo was taken in April, immediately before I changed my speakers. Got a new rack, my first flat panel TV (LED TV!), changed wall receptacles from PS Audio Power Port to Power Port Premier, added wood/metal hybrid isolation blocks underneath CD player, and upgraded my pre amplifier (rack was more expensive than TV :) ). What a difference all that made in one month!

Carl, when is your system in LOS going to be complete?

before

post-13351-1255569895_thumb.jpg

after

post-13351-1255570009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nordlys

post-7384-1255593773_thumb.jpg

Audiolab 8000Q preamp, 2 x Audiolab 8000M monoblocks

Meridian 500 CD Transport Meridian 563 DAC

Mission 751 Speakers

Harmon Kardon AVR30 AV amp

Pioneeer LD Player

Panasonic A300 DVD Player

Mission 751 Speakers

Pioneeer LD Player

Superb system there astral - full of the 90s classics and I'm sure it sounds great. Doesn't the tiled floor make the sound a bit harsh on the ears though?

Nordlys - it's looking good...is that an Isotek cleaner on the floor at the front? Ayre stuff is looking good.

Nordlys - it's looking good...is that an Isotek cleaner on the floor at the front? Ayre stuff is looking good.

It's PS Audio line conditioner Duet I bought from IMAGE (Audio Excellence). Works very good for how cheap it is. I'm thinking of buying another line conditioner, RGPC (Richard Gray's Power Company) Pro 400, and separating line conditioner/switching device for audio and visual.

Mission 751 Speakers

Pioneeer LD Player

Nice astral, any reason why you have all the gear wedged up into one corner of the room, Ive never seen speakers so close to the components before......im not trying to be rude either. :)

• 1 month later...

My old system. Krell MD-1 top load transport. Krell SBP-64 DAC, Threshold FET 10e Hi_level & Threshold SA-4e. Need to take more pictures. Krell Transport & no repair parts available on earth. So junked that & bought CEC TL-1 & Remiyo DAC. Meadowlark Osprey Speakers.

Edited by powderpuff

Nice tidy system.

That Classe CD player, is that a current model or an old one? Did you buy it second hand?

I didn't know Aerial 5 used to be a floor standing speaker. Current 5B is a bookshelf speaker. I use 7B. You place your speakers with spikes directly onto parquet flooring? And it doesn't penetrate into the flooring?

May I suggest something? How about changing your power strip to AV grade, like PS Audio's Juice Bar. I believe DECO 2000 has one from Shunyata Research too if my memory serves right, and there's a distributor for Furutech in Thailand. They should also have AV grade power strip. You might also change wall receptacle, AC cables and add a line conditioner (instead of buying power strip perhaps) if you live in a condo. I bought them all (PS Audio) from K. Wuti at IMAGE but if you don't want to deal with him you might try Shunyata Research at DECO 2000. Their "outlet" shop in Amarin has Shunyata's second hand Hydra power filter for some time. They are relatively small investment that can make a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they Audion Silver Nights?

Powderpuff...great systems there. When's your next party?

Check out these brand new stands...just developed by a furniture maker and Guildford Audio in UK:

You can see the prototype then finished product. They've just launched one for mono amps taking 50kg too. Great stuff. They give them out on demo at the moment and testers on forums so far are absolutely orgasming over their sonic improvements (check the rubber suspension for each piece on each shelf). If it wasn't for the £2000 they want for a 3-tier, I'd buy one.

In fact, anyone want to join and get these made in Thailand?! Got a feeling they'd go down well at the Japan and US high end shows.

post-19469-1262460692_thumb.jpg

post-19469-1262460707_thumb.jpg

The rack to the left.... looks like it has harness to suspend components. Common sense says it's a no-no, wonder if it's any good? So that harness is made of rubber? Rubber will degrade for sure. And neither of the racks do seem to come with spikes.

Rack on the right comes with PS Audio's new Perfect Wave system. I would have seriously considered it had I not bought Marantz SA-7S1 early last year. All that Krell, Wadia, and PS Audio system (and CEC CD player?) had me think it's actually a pic from a show in Thailand by Audio Excellence. BTW that PS audio Power Plant Premier seems to be discontinued and being sold at discount. I seriously considered buying one myself but gave up the idea as I don't have space in my rack any more (and don't want to add another shelf to it).

Edited by Nordlys

Are they Audion Silver Nights?

No, they are an early (early to mid 90's) version of the Cary SLM-100 monoblocks (that runs in Class A rather Class AB as was used in later production runs). I'm not sure what Cary was thinking when they changed the design, as the original one has suited me well for the last 15 years.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Hi Nordlys, here's the link to the thread on a hi-fi forum where you can read about each stage of development and unbiased user feedback. In the first pic the rack on the left is the prototype....so in the final version (next pic) the rubber suspensions are still there but the ends have been covered with nice veneer resin. It does have spikes underneath. I guess the rubber harnesses will degrade, depends on the grade and density of rubber I guess, but easy enough to replace (cheap too). Certainly looks nice though doesn't it?

The rack to the left.... looks like it has harness to suspend components. Common sense says it's a no-no, wonder if it's any good? So that harness is made of rubber? Rubber will degrade for sure. And neither of the racks do seem to come with spikes.

Rack on the right comes with PS Audio's new Perfect Wave system. I would have seriously considered it had I not bought Marantz SA-7S1 early last year. All that Krell, Wadia, and PS Audio system (and CEC CD player?) had me think it's actually a pic from a show in Thailand by Audio Excellence. BTW that PS audio Power Plant Premier seems to be discontinued and being sold at discount. I seriously considered buying one myself but gave up the idea as I don't have space in my rack any more (and don't want to add another shelf to it).

Where's the link Carl??

The effect on sound quality aside, one thing about the rubber harness in the pic is that not all audio component comes in the same size, e.g. my CD player is pretty big and has the depth of 425mm while my pre-amplifier is almost 100mm shorter. So naturally the measurement from the front to rear foot is not the same depending on the component so it just makes me wonder how you align those rubber harness to the exact position where the foot of each components are. Or can they be adjusted by sliding it? Also like many audiophiles I use a set of metal/wood hybrid isolation block to lift my CD player (so its foot are not touching the rack). They tend to make quite a difference especially with CD player but by placing audio components on rubber harness it seems to deprive you of the chance to tweak the sound with isolation blocks.

Sorry I forgot: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?i...d=16&page=1

Each stand is made to order, taking 2 weeks, to the dimensions of your equipment...but if you change equipment I'm not yet sure if or how to adjust the rubber straps. It would be a good test to use your isolation blocks on the wood without the straps and then just place the equipment on the rubber. These stands cost £2000! (labour intensive UK rates)...imagine getting one made in Thailand!

Wow, I thought my rack was expensive at 45,000 baht (including optional spikes and spike plates).

The rack comes with thick acrylic board, I wonder if the rubber harness is at all necessary. But according to the link it seems to do what my isolation blocks are supposed to do, interesting. It seems so logic defying but then UK makes some of the best audio components, I suppose if they had to put it I guess they did so for good reason.

Carl, if you're still in UK, can you check for me how much this would cost at retail over there please?

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products_detail.asp?id=52

Edited by Nordlys

Wow, I thought my rack was expensive at 45,000 baht (including optional spikes and spike plates).

The rack comes with thick acrylic board, I wonder if the rubber harness is at all necessary. But according to the link it seems to do what my isolation blocks are supposed to do, interesting. It seems so logic defying but then UK makes some of the best audio components, I suppose if they had to put it I guess they did so for good reason.

Carl, if you're still in UK, can you check for me how much this would cost at retail over there please?

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products_detail.asp?id=52

Yep, that rack is the price of a Finite Elemente with very expensive raw materials. However, the dealer who designed and tested it said it sounds better. I think it's well established that equipment racks are best if they cut resonance, so the glass once (although pretty) add a harshness to the sound through vibration. The wooden racks sound "warmer" naturally, and the rubber straps? Well....so far the audiophiles are loving it. Let's wait for the mag reviews and tests at the next hi-fi show where it will make it's debut. For me, I absolutely love the way it looks regardless of the strap-technology, but for £2000?!?! I'll make my own over here using that spec!

That Chord DAC is lovely and the reviews are absolutely brilliant. In the US it costs $6000 and in the UK it costs £3000. One dealer did a special intro price for it which has now ended so I can't see what it was. If you want one let me know - it's only 7kg so I can bring one back end of Feb.

I agree if I have £2000 I'd spend it on something else like line conditioner or isolation transformer.

I would love to have you bring the QBD76 for me. 7kg is not so light for the size but much lighter than full size component and it's small enough to be put into carry-on case. But I've spent over half a million baht on upgrade in audio components last year I don't think I have more than 100K baht to spend this year. I want QBD76 not so much as an external DAC for my CD player (with digital out) but to add it to my system as a new front end component as music server (in short, to start PC audio). I'm also eying Ayre's QB-9 but it only has USB for input while Chord provides USB, BlueTooth and digital (BNC Coax), among others. And it's just a perfect size for me (as I don't want to add another shelf to my rack) and has been highly rated since the predecessor model DAC64. Thanks for looking it up Carl. It seems the saving from buying it locally in UK over here isn't so significant probably due to UK sales tax.

Edited by Nordlys

Oh I didn't know the 76 could be used as a music server as well as DAC. I think it's a great idea though to save on CDs, download in Lossless format and then connect straight into a DAC and put the money you saved into the components. I have a Squeezebox 3 which does a similar thing...it connects wirelessly with my laptop (even if it's off) and displays the tracks on there. It's also connected to the Wadia DAC (bypassing laptop conversion) and plays tracks through the system. A great little thing for £150.

Yes, VAT in UK is again 17.5% - some dealers would probably offer the VAT refund forms, so you could get about 16% price reclaimed.