Post A Photo Of Your Beloved

CarlBkk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must be some pretty sick 6L6's to be glowing blue! What's up with this photo?

They're SED 6550C's and not in duress. The blue color is exaggerated by the photo haven been taken at night in a room that was unlit except by the glow of the tubes and whatever ambient light was coming through the window in the background. The Color saturation of the photo was boosted up a bit in postporocessing too. However those tubes do tend to glow a bit blue even when new, depending upon who much they are biased, though it's not normally noticeable except from close range in a darkened room.

those tubes make me feel warm and fuzzy all over, i'd love to hear you system, what brand is it? mac?

They are roughly 15 year old Cary amps, which I use with an equally old pair of Nelson Reed 804C speakers and even older Meitner preamp. I also have a (literally) 20 year old VPI TNT turntable with ET2 tomearm in my closet that I haven't gotten around to setting up since moving to my present digs in Singapore. In its day I thought that it was one of the more ballsy sounding audiophile systems around but I'd expect that most present day audiophiles would have sound quaility that exceeds it (progress does march on).

You'd be welcome to drop by to give it a listen but at the moment you'd only be able to hear it with a cheap Marantz CD player instead of the TNT, unless I were to put you to work to help setting it up.

Oh I didn't know the 76 could be used as a music server as well as DAC. I think it's a great idea though to save on CDs, download in Lossless format and then connect straight into a DAC and put the money you saved into the components. I have a Squeezebox 3 which does a similar thing...it connects wirelessly with my laptop (even if it's off) and displays the tracks on there. It's also connected to the Wadia DAC (bypassing laptop conversion) and plays tracks through the system. A great little thing for £150.

Yes, VAT in UK is again 17.5% - some dealers would probably offer the VAT refund forms, so you could get about 16% price reclaimed.

How's the sound from Squeezebox 3 via your Wadia DAC, say compared to your CD player (or CD transport)? And where are the music files stored, in Squeezebox 3 or your laptop? BTW if you have an iPod you might consider adding this to your system.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/design.php

Like your Seueezebox 3 it also bypasses iPod's DAC and turns iPod into a transport. And I've heard a lot of positive reviews about it (provided music files are lossless format like FLAC and WAV). I think AudioExcellence sells it for around 20,000 baht. Too bad my SACD player has digital out but not in to function as an external DAC.

Is there such thing as VAT refund for tourist in UK like in Thailand?

Edited by Nordlys

They're SED 6550C's and not in duress. The blue color is exaggerated by the photo haven been taken at night in a room that was unlit except by the glow of the tubes and whatever ambient light was coming through the window in the background. The Color saturation of the photo was boosted up a bit in postporocessing too. However those tubes do tend to glow a bit blue even when new, depending upon who much they are biased, though it's not normally noticeable except from close range in a darkened room.

OP, thanks for the explaination! Pretty cool photo. The only other tubes I ever saw that looked like that were mercury vapor rectifiers, or tubes that were self-destructing. The 6550's must really sound nice....

OP, thanks for the explaination! Pretty cool photo. The only other tubes I ever saw that looked like that were mercury vapor rectifiers, or tubes that were self-destructing. The 6550's must really sound nice....

You can find some interesting reading if you google on "Blue Glow Tubes". It turns out that it's common for people to be concerned when they first notice a blue glow in their power tubes but that it's usually benign. It's beyond my understanding of physics to really understand the reasons that it happens, but apparently it can be caused by some bad things (such as air leaking into the tube) or by harmless things (such as the glass containing a small percentage of phosphorous). So far I haven't only tubes go nuclear, rather what I've expereinced is that over time I become convinced that the sound has degraded and usually after about 2 or 3 years swap in a new set.

About the SED 6550's sound, they are reasonably decent but actually not the best I've had in the amps. I think that the best ones that I used were Yugoslavian EI KT90 tubes but those tubes seemed to have started to to disappear from the market around the time that Yugoslavia ceased to exist. I'm not sure that the factory continued operations after the war. Generally I've found that using different types of tubes (so far I've played with KT99, KT90, 6550, EL34, and 5881's) and even using different brands of the same type of tube make a really big diffrences in the character of the sound, in some cases making them sound like competely different amps.

They are roughly 15 year old Cary amps, which I use with an equally old pair of Nelson Reed 804C speakers and even older Meitner preamp. I also have a (literally) 20 year old VPI TNT turntable with ET2 tomearm in my closet that I haven't gotten around to setting up since moving to my present digs in Singapore. In its day I thought that it was one of the more ballsy sounding audiophile systems around but I'd expect that most present day audiophiles would have sound quaility that exceeds it (progress does march on).

I'd be interested in seeing the pic of your entire system.

I'd be interested in seeing the pic of your entire system.

There are some obvious problems with the photographic quality but below are a couple of snapshots that will give you the general idea.

BTW, the two-piece box that you see on the right of the power amps are a California Audio Labs Alpha DAC and Delta transport. Those aren't being used now, the transport started chronically skipping so as a stopgap measure I picked up a Marantz SA-8003 CD/SACD player. I mindlessly plucked that off of Stereophile's Recommended Component list and bought it without ever hearing it. Stereophile was recommending it at US$1000 (which is apparently what it really sells for in the the US) but I discovered that shops in Adelphi in Singapore discount it to somewhere around US$450. Seemed like it was worth taking a chance on for the price, if only to buy some time before shelling out a much bigger amount of cash for something more legitimate.

post-49916-1263014870_thumb.jpg

post-49916-1263014969_thumb.jpg

Edited by OriginalPoster

US$450 for SA-8003 is a very good deal. So does it sound better than your old transport/DAC separate system?

How many speakers do you have btw and where's your listening position? It's not so clear from the picture but the two large boxes in the foreground are speakers right? They seem to be of different size (or depth) and there's another speaker in the background. And you put the SA-8003 directly on the floor?

Edited by Nordlys

US$450 for SA-8003 is a very good deal. So does it sound better than your old transport/DAC separate system?

How many speakers do you have btw and where's your listening position? It's not so clear from the picture but the two large boxes in the foreground are speakers right? They seem to be of different size (or depth) and there's another speaker in the background. And you put the SA-8003 directly on the floor?

I guess that I'd say that the SA-8003 sounds less "digital" than the old transport/DAC did. It's warmer sounding though subjectively less detailed. Basically I think that it's a competent component but nothing to get excited over.

There's two speakers The two big boxes in the front are speakers. They are the same size and shape as each other, if they seem otherwise it's because of wide angle distortion in the photo. Listening position is about 3 to 4 meters back from the center of those speakers and probably about 1.5 meters from the rear wall. The object behind the compensation that looks like another speaker isn't, its acoustic treatment for the room.

Those speakers look so big and heavy. Have you been able to set them up yourself? I wonder how you even lift it without a base or spikes to it. My speakers weigh 50kg each and will penetrate the parquet flooring if without spike plate or speaker base. I had to have staffs from the distributor who sold it to to come to my condo to help pack them just to bring them downstairs, unpack and set them up again when I did my condo renovation a few months ago. Took us 3 men to set them up.

BTW it doesn't look like you have done much tweaking. Try changing your wall receptacle (to AV grade or even hospital grade outlet), AC main cable or perhaps add a line conditioner/purifier as you appear to live in condo where the AC main is most likely contaminated. They'll make a huge difference at the fraction of the cost of your audio components.

What's that box under table anyway? And what's that thing plugged into wall socket? PS Audio noise harvester?

Those speakers look so big and heavy. Have you been able to set them up yourself? I wonder how you even lift it without a base or spikes to it. My speakers weigh 50kg each and will penetrate the parquet flooring if without spike plate or speaker base. I had to have staffs from the distributor who sold it to to come to my condo to help pack them just to bring them downstairs, unpack and set them up again when I did my condo renovation a few months ago. Took us 3 men to set them up.

BTW it doesn't look like you have done much tweaking. Try changing your wall receptacle (to AV grade or even hospital grade outlet), AC main cable or perhaps add a line conditioner/purifier as you appear to live in condo where the AC main is most likely contaminated. They'll make a huge difference at the fraction of the cost of your audio components.

What's that box under table anyway? And what's that thing plugged into wall socket? PS Audio noise harvester?

Though it's outside of the picture, I do have a PS Audio Powerplant 300 to which the AC plugs for the components other than the amps are connected. But generally you're correct that I haven't done much of any tweaking. Of the tweaks I've done, swapping in different brands and types of tubes has produced much more obvious changes in the sound than anything that I've exprencienced from things like cables, vibration isolation of components, and power conditioners.

The box under the table is a Meitner Pa6i preamp. There are no controls on the preamp's chasis other than mute and power, volume and input selection is by a wired remote control. That makes it unnecessary to be easily accesible, hence I tucked tucked away underneath.

I can maneuver the speakers around myself but I'm not sure that I'd be able to lift them up up competely off the ground by myself. At is what those speakers look like when photographed more true to scale http://manskerconsulting.com/audio . BTW, that's not my web site at that link, rather it belongs to some guy who just happened to scored a pair of those speakers on the resale market. Also, here's a link the a Stereophile review of those speakers from 1988 http://manskerconsulting.com/audio/media/s..._april_1988.pdf Mine actually are the 804C's instead of the 804B's in the review, but the cabinets and drivers are the same. Before those 804C speakers, I had a pair of "804 Pro" speakers that I purchased in 1985 and were stolen from my house during a robbery in 1995.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Yeah my Aerial speakers are Model 6. Sorry for the mistake.

I want to buy an Ayre CX-7e to match my AX-7e if anyone sees one up for sale kindly PM.

The Classe .5 CDP is an older model. 99% of my stuff I got from Mister Balance (Pawdee) 5th floor Pantip Plaza. Known him a long time.

Met a gentleman named Kevin one day while browsing. He knows as much as I do regarding the Thai second hand market.

The good old days were when we had 30 shops in Poenchit Center.

I also miss the Ploenchit Center. Wonder why they had to move. Few actually relocated to the Hi-Fi center at the old Big C, a lot just dispersed to different locations.

As to CX-7, ask the DECO 2000 outlet shop. The "outlet" shop in Amarin Plaza is where they sell traded-in products for upgrade, and they only trade in products distributed by DECO in principle. CX-7 is now upgraded to CX-7eMP. If the second hand CX-7 you found is not upgraded to CX-7e or CX-7eMP (if you can find one at all), you might as well just buy a new one as I assume the second hand price won't be so cheap given the limited supply in Thailand and cost of two upgrades added to the second hand price might come close if not as much as the price of a new unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Pawdee (Mr Balance) is a funny old chap. He never smiles or makes much effort for his customers, but he always knows his stock well. What did you think of the equipment you bought from him....all working ok and priced fairly? It's certainly a brilliant shop and always something new in there. I got my Wadias from him but the amp from Singapore imported (which with tax would have come to the same selling price in Bangkok, if there had been one available at the time).

Hi-Fi Centre is looking VERY sad now. Half the shops don't bother to open. Amarin is still interesting and the place next door to Audio Excellence just took a delivery of some monster horns (bright red nautilus-shaped things that I've seen in Hi-Fi Choice The Collection for £40,000 or something ridiculous). Always some serious kit in those shops, plenty of staff fiddling around but never any customers visible!

Ayre is from Canada I think so audiogon.com may provide your best prices, but then you've got the big unknown import tax getting it here unless it's hand-carried...

Was that this you saw at the shop next to IMAGE (Audio Excellence)?

http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/12/0...11c1zik8zj.jpeg

It's not a horn but it was designed by the same engineer who designed the original B&W Nautilus. There's a very minor flaw with paint job on one of its speakers so they're giving more than 300,000 baht discount on it but still sells for over a million baht.

So what's with this Mr. Balance in Panthip? Do they sell only second hand and if so any current models or do they deal in mostly old, discontinued models like most shops in Fortune? I've been trying to avoid Panthip that I haven't been there in years.

Ayre is from USA (Colorado), not Canada. And import duty on CD player is 30% + 7% VAT on the sum of CIF + import duty.

Edited by Nordlys

Yes Pawdee has well over a million $ worth of used hi-fi. Like Khun Wit on steroids.

Pawdee is a very fair guy. You can bargain with him. I think my Ayre he started at 80K & I got it for 72. He will always buy your gear back (at a lower price) If anything breaks he will happily get his tech to fix it. Bottom line., I trust him. Sometimes I pay him his asking price because I want him there in a year.

He does a lot of consignment & also pawnshopping. He has copied audiophile cd's for cheap.

Best selection of cables in BKK.

• 1 month later...

Here is my system:

- Yamaha DSP-Z7

- Dynaudio Contour 3.3

- Klipsch RT-10D Subwoofer

- NAD 521 BEE (CD Transport)

- Sony PS3 (Hidden).

I found out that I'm going to drop the HT

and go for pure stereo, so both the

Klipsch and Yamaha will have to go soon.

post-2747-1268208244_thumb.jpg

post-2747-1268208309_thumb.jpg

Yes these are Dynaudio - Contour 3.3

A - Listed in Stereophile.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/262/

IMHO - some of the sweetest sounding speakers, that

really do deserve the best of amplification, which

is why I'm right now deciding between a host of amps.

- Moon W5.3

- Accuphase E407

- McIntosh MC300

And mine actually have Serial No. 00125 + 00126.

And real classics as well - was produced 1998 - 2003???

Edited by JackA

Nice amp choices Jack, but...errrrr.....you might end up upgrading the speakers after listening to what those amps can potentially do! What music do you listen to?

Don't forget the wonderful Chord, Jeff Rowland and Krell amps which are also in that price category.

If you're looking for integrated amp you should also consider Ayre AX-7eMP.

Probably as good as Accuphase and McIntosh (if not better) while most likely cheaper. Accuphase is way overpriced in Thailand and McIntosh distributor really sucks. AX-7e used to sell for 120K baht but they should have raised the price since the MP upgrade.

http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=12

Edited by Nordlys

Heh - I have a friend that wants me to audition his Ayre AX-7e (No MP),

It seems the best "synergy" with my speakers:

Pass Labs X250

Plinius 9200

Simaudio Moon W5.3

But the problem is the physical size (and heat) of those.

Have anyone of you ever heard about Lyngdorf (ex TACT)?

Their Lyngdorf SDAI 2175 is a Class D amp is fairly compact

and provides 2 x 200W 8ohm and 2 x 375W in 4.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/amplifiers/...ier-review.html

My current Yamaha DSP-Z7 is 7x140W in 8 ohm RMS (20-20KHz)

The Speakers are:

IEC Long Term Power Handling 300 W

AX-7e can be upgraded to MP. I did the MP upgrade on my K-5Xe (pre) for 16,000 baht. There was significant improvement in sound quality that it was much better worth for money than tweaking with accessories costing more.