Advice Needed

nokmdk

So they have done my TL and my WP. They are trying to say i do not get payed for the summer break even though all others do. Their reason, when i started they did not TL or WP so had to give me a special contract for some other name rather than teaching. The tax on this was 15% but they did agree to pay it as it was all their mistake. Now they say i do not get payed for the summer because of that error. They have messed around for the entire year i have been there and now i have no contract till the start of May. This is not aq fly by night School as it has been here for 130 years. Can some on you wiser people give me advice of what to do now? What other places are hiring for some one with 4 years exp teaching in private and government schools? Thank you for all your advice and support.

Mark

I'm not sure if it will help, but if you PM me an e-mail address I'll send you the Thai Labour laws (which might help) that I blatantly nicked from Sheep Goats off of Ajarn.

PM Sumitr man he's clued up in regards to stuff like this.

All the best mate though, good luck!

If you're legit (sorry, but, TiT) it sounds like you deserve compensation, or maybe damages...

But, watch yer ass here, too. Were you, at any point, knowingly or not knowingly, working illegaly? Like teaching without required-by-law certification? Or working without a WP? Who does the Law hold liable?

This could put you in a vulnerable area if push comes to shove. Best to keep at a level, for the moment, where nobody's face is perceived to be on the line...

Got any credible Thai friends to intercede in discussions? Another Thai might prefer dealing this way, rather than dealing with you, as a farang... They will come at it purely from an open negotiation, with all faces being considered from their (Thai) perspective, so something maybe for you to ponder over...

And, as I've said here before, my experiences some years ago with the Central Labour Court were quite good for foreign teachers with legit gripes.

Good luck :o

Chances are if there is any dodginess in the OP's history with the school, it won't be the school bringing it up- they're just as liable to be penalized as the OP for an illegal hiring practice. And the threat of legal action is often enough to get people to change their perspective. Simply hiring a lawyer and getting him to write a letter to the school can change their tune significantly. Of course, it costs to do so, and you have to have someone you know is really certified (and preferably sharp).

I'd say OP has the best odds, knowing very little about the situation- but as Ajarn says, Tit- and I would add, cya. Be careful and good luck.

"Steven"

Find work elsewhere. Then, when you've got a bona fide offer at a new place where you'd like to work, phone them and give the old school the rest of the day to give you a CONTRACT.

In other words, find work elsewhere. From what you've written, it apparently seems to appear that the folks at the old school don't know their orifices from holes in the ground.

I Thank you for all the replys.

As for working on the wrong side of the fence, i'm not really sure to be honest. They gave me a special letter stating i was not a teacher but rather a helper getting their English department up to par. Taxes were 15% as i stated and Thai immagration said this is ok for my renewal when the time comes for my type O. I have gone now to other schools trying to obtain a new job. Not as easy as i thought as most are too far from my home. They have told everyone that yes they want me back but of course they do not want to pay for the summer break. This all happened when i first started with my TL or WP and they had to do that said letter. They of course had to pay for the 15% taxes as there was no way i was going to. Now of course you can tell their way to get it back is to not pay me for the summer. Very fustrating for me as i do love this school and the students. Not often i have kids that want to learn and like speaking English. Some even cryed when they were leaving from M3 to better schools. The hardest part is the fact this school has more connections than i will ever have so really they could make my stay hard i'm sure if they wanted to.Sorry for the spelling and grammar mistakes today, i'm a bit stressed out.

Mark

Are you saying that an institution that claims to have been in the education field for 130 years still can't get its act right? And do you mean they paid 15% of your GROSS pay because they were too lazy or inept to merely help you get a TL and WP that costs them virtually nothing? If so, it would appear that they do not know their orifices from....

Yes thats what i am saying :o

They kept saying there was alot of time and i kept saying no there is not. Do any of you know of other schools that i might like that are currently looking for teachers that have been here for 4 years or more?

If so please feel free to pm me with any details. Sad it has come to this, but i can no longer trust them. What if i do stay and same thing happens next year right? Thanks all

Just remember that if they pulled that one one you and you let them, they've got more coming. I've had that experience as well and walked.

The fact that the school has been around for 130 years means nothing. The people operating it now are surely more interested in money than the founders. Many of them are businesses disguised as a school.

Yes i have looked on ajarn.com. Have even been to a few schools looking now. Most seem to be too far away for me (over 1 hour is too much). I do agree with all of you that if they will do this now, they will have more tricks up their sleeves. This is whats made me so mad. I love the school and the kids are great. They know i want to stay, so why make it hard? Thailand at its best.

Update.

The school has just called me with news. They have told me they will pay for the summer break and a raise. They have also stated that the person doing all the contracts with them has now been fired. Hard to trust them now but perhaps its a good sign. I thank you all for your moral support and thoughts.

I would *highly recommend* in a detailed complaint thread such as this one that you *do not* give the school name. In most threads of the kind, it usually results in unpleasant "he said, she said" slagging matches with hoards of new user flunkies that the school sends to fight you. Best stay with hints- and maybe sometime later just put the name in a group of several on my "Schools You Don't Recommend" thread.

"Steven"

I have no intention of taking the piss out of anyone , but.

1. this is Thailand and they generally what the F++k they want.

2. Contracts arew'nt worth toilet paper unless you have "Good Friends"3. YOu are nobody to them if you do not also carry a big stick!

Make sure your stick will not break easily because "Someone" tells them to back off.

learn alternative technonlogies for payback (Which needs to be done.. ALWAYS)

Duh Sorry, how many foreigners live in your area?

Why not get everbody a kickin , as you let dickheads know roughly where you (And other innocents) live .Behave ######. OK you are looking for advice? 1. Keep your big mouth Shut and do what u need to do!

Post messages under ANON.

We are not stupid,, most of us have lived here many years with no footprint.

We are not dodgy, just do not like attention.

There are enough "Teachers of Lower Years that need to leave e, <deleted> to "we are here to help Tsunami Victims" Sorry but Piss Off.

Why not get everbody a kickin , as you let dickheads know roughly where you (And other innocents) live .Behave ######. OK you are looking for advice? 1. Keep your big mouth Shut and do what u need to do!

There are enough "Teachers of Lower Years that need to leave e, <deleted> to "we are here to help Tsunami Victims" Sorry but Piss Off.

airborn are you talking to me?

I have been here longer than you think. Why don't you take your nice 4 posts and go away to ajarn.com like a good little person should.

PeaceBlondie:

I know for sure he will be treated no better at ajarn.com

Actualy i'm sure it will be alot worse hense why the free advice for where else he can go besides here.

His post made no sense to me what so ever but then again maybe i'm a little dense these days.

I feel sorry for this <deleted>'s students.