Effective Colour

51NAH

Here are a couple more recent shots from the Gold Coast.

These Peacocks roam free in a park between a main highway and the beach, they are clearly not worried about human presence.

Before anyone asks, no they arent stuffed! lol

3780438016_6f16dc7fb0.jpg

3779626651_cc6ae91158_o.jpg

I like the first shot best. Beautiful colors, very good focus, sharp!

What camera, aperture, ISO ?

:D:):D

Cheers.

The first shot was taken with my 450D using Canon 70-200 2.8 (non IS) handheld, f/2.8, 1/100 second exposure, ISO 200, at 135mm.

Thanks angiud for your comments, #2 is my favourite from this series I did, I have a framed 20"x30" metalic print hanging on my loungeroom wall. :D

Thanks James, I was pretty happy with it. :D

Edited by 51NAH

the first shot is not nice at all....... blue and green should never be seen

the second is surreal

What does that mean that blue and green should never be seen?

Taking your statement at face value, your own avatar is "not nice at all"?

the second is surreal

please explain why blue and green should never be seen?

below two good examples from the web of blue and green together..

It's an out of date expression from THE FASHION INDUSTRY wherein it was taboo (allegedly) to put blue and green together - nature tends to disregard it!

Edited by The Vulcan

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate the comments.

the second is surreal

Ahhhh well perhaps you should tell the peacock??

Looks like both shots are blue and green to me. :)

Oh... and thanks.

Very, very nice photos '51NAH'

Peacocks in Thailand are nowhere near as super looking as these in your photos are, well those that I have seen. :D

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

Thank you Kan Win.

Happy to share! :)

I only remember seeing a couple of Peacocks during my travels in Thailand, and from memroy they weren't as stunning as the ones here.

I would love to photograph a pure white one but I fear they are quite rare.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate the comments.

the second is surreal

Ahhhh well perhaps you should tell the peacock??

Looks like both shots are blue and green to me. :)

Oh... and thanks.

you are color blind honey turquoise and

chartreuse, have little or nothing to do do with the colors blue and green

the second is surreal

Having said that, I have seen your second shot of the frontal peacock before, a national geographic mag of some time ago perhaps.

What you have exhibited is called as plagiarism. Subconsciously or consciously we take the next picture from our memory bank of pictures that is stored in our mind, if we have a full and bad collection stored some continue to take bad pictures as has been well demonstrated by certain members of this sub forum who continue to loose the point of a subject being important in landscapes, as an example

You can choose to delete these bad images and search for new and refreshing ideas as did the likes of Max Dupain who looked at the aussie surf and its icons and captured images not previously seen before on any chocolate box

Its up to you, copy some trite image of the past, or forget what you have seen and launch into the unknown and expose a new way of looking at things

Edited by yumidesign

the second is surreal

Having said that, I have seen your second shot of the frontal peacock before, a national geographic mag of some time ago perhaps.

What you have exhibited is called as plagiarism. Subconsciously or consciously we take the next picture from our memory bank of pictures that is stored in our mind, if we have a full and bad collection stored some continue to take bad pictures as has been well demonstrated by certain members of this sub forum who continue to loose the point of a subject being important in landscapes, as an example

You can choose to delete these bad images and search for new and refreshing ideas as did the likes of Max Dupain who looked at the aussie surf and its icons and captured images not previously seen before on any chocolate box

Its up to you, copy some trite image of the past, or forget what you have seen and launch into the unknown and expose a new way of looking at things

Yumi you seem to thrive on giving derogatory comments, if you have nothing worthwhile to say then why bother??

The fact that you liken this shot to a Nat Geo mag is great, but plagiarism?? Get a grip!!

To say someone who takes a frontal shot of a peacock like I have, is solely mimicking another photographers work, now come on!!

Does that mean I cannot photograph an animal without risk of plagiarising? Heaven forbid a similar shot has been taken in the past by someone else!!

Also refering to a Nat Geo image as trite?? Perhaps you should think before you type??

Assuming you are now down from your soapbox, do you have anything proactive to say??

Edited by 51NAH

"Its up to you, copy some trite image of the past, or forget what you have seen and launch into the unknown and expose a new way of looking at things"

Does this mean you only approve of badly composed, under or over exposed, out of focus shots ( been a while since we've seen an example of how not to do it from Yumidesign's school of photography)?? Or should we not try as "amateurs" to emulate the professionals and produce incredible shots such as those that 51NAH has been kind enough to grace this forum with ( hats off fella !! ) ?

You talk of trite images but I think we're all fed up with your trite comments !! Blue/Green/turquoise/chartreuse whatever ! Should I never take another landscape shot incorporating Sky ( whether it be Azure, Cerulean, Sapphire or heaven help us sky blue) and grass ( be it Jade, Emerald or just good old grass green) ?

Yumidesign, please do not bother replying to this post just do us all a favour and take your unwanted, pathetic and infantile comments elsewhere, I think most members post in this thread to receive constructive criticism of their photos, something you seem unable to comprehend although it has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions ( I won't stoop to your level and quote from a dictionary/thesaurus the meaning of the words "constructive criticism" I'm sure you can look it up for yourself although hopefully it takes you a while and keeps you from posting here !!)

To Everyone else keep 'em coming there's some really top class shots being posted !!

cheers J

"Its up to you, copy some trite image of the past, or forget what you have seen and launch into the unknown and expose a new way of looking at things"

Does this mean you only approve of badly composed, under or over exposed, out of focus shots ( been a while since we've seen an example of how not to do it from Yumidesign's school of photography)?? Or should we not try as "amateurs" to emulate the professionals and produce incredible shots such as those that 51NAH has been kind enough to grace this forum with ( hats off fella !! ) ?

You talk of trite images but I think we're all fed up with your trite comments !! Blue/Green/turquoise/chartreuse whatever ! Should I never take another landscape shot incorporating Sky ( whether it be Azure, Cerulean, Sapphire or heaven help us sky blue) and grass ( be it Jade, Emerald or just good old grass green) ?

Yumidesign, please do not bother replying to this post just do us all a favour and take your unwanted, pathetic and infantile comments elsewhere, I think most members post in this thread to receive constructive criticism of their photos, something you seem unable to comprehend although it has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions ( I won't stoop to your level and quote from a dictionary/thesaurus the meaning of the words "constructive criticism" I'm sure you can look it up for yourself although hopefully it takes you a while and keeps you from posting here !!)

To Everyone else keep 'em coming there's some really top class shots being posted !!

cheers J

"There's none so blind as those who will not see"

the second is surreal

Yumi you seem to thrive on giving derogatory comments, if you have nothing worthwhile to say then why bother??

The fact that you liken this shot to a Nat Geo mag is great, but plagiarism?? Get a grip!!

To say someone who takes a frontal shot of a peacock like I have, is solely mimicking another photographers work, now come on!!

Does that mean I cannot photograph an animal without risk of plagiarising? Heaven forbid a similar shot has been taken in the past by someone else!!

Also refering to a Nat Geo image as trite?? Perhaps you should think before you type??

Assuming you are now down from your soapbox, do you have anything proactive to say??

Critique or Insult

What constitutes an insult

If the idea of this sub forum is to critique a subject, whether comments are bad or good, surely you must accept positive or negative response no matter what, if the opinion of another is neither abusive or disrespectful and if the comment is made in plain language about the subject and not the person it is a critique and with this in mind I offer you the following pro active remarks

I will be kind and say that in your anger you have misunderstood my point. I was trying to help you understand the creative process of taking a photograph. We have a history of images based on our experience stored in our mind that we consciously or subconsciously use as a reference point to view a scene that we intend to record and make into a photograph. My point is that it is better to use your own development of ideas of images, the ones that you keep as your best, learning to edit and delete the ones that are bad, as opposed to that of others that have been taken by someone else. I was taught this by a genius, one of Australias most gifted composers of modern classical music who refused to listen to ‘bad’ music of any kind, and he taught me to develop my own view, unaffected by others

It has got to do with mind set, you ask if you can not photograph an animal without being labeled a plagiarist, that’s a bit silly is it not and highlights your misunderstanding. You can take any picture of animals you like as long as it comes from your own view of things and not from someone else

Look at Max Dupains work, not to copy but to understand his view and how you can develop your own, its obvious that you have not looked or even tried to understand my previous comments and have been too swayed by others on these pages who rant about insults to cover their own unfortunate view

Good luck I wish you the best

Critique or Insult

If the idea of this sub forum is to critique a subject, whether comments are bad or good, surely you must accept positive or negative response no matter what, if the opinion of another is neither abusive or disrespectful and if the comment is made in plain language about the subject and not the person it is a critique and with this in mind I offer you the following pro active remarks

Its all about your delivery, which as you can clearly see, leaves a lot to be desired.

If you can give me specifics on what I can improve on thats great, everyone wants to know how to improve. Don't simply put my image down because YOU don't like it.

I will be kind and say that in your anger you have misunderstood my point. I was trying to help you understand the creative process of taking a photograph. We have a history of images based on our experience stored in our mind that we consciously or subconsciously use as a reference point to view a scene that we intend to record and make into a photograph. My point is that it is better to use your own development of ideas of images, the ones that you keep as your best, learning to edit and delete the ones that are bad, as opposed to that of others that have been taken by someone else. I was taught this by a genius, one of Australias most gifted composers of modern classical music who refused to listen to 'bad' music of any kind, and he taught me to develop my own view, unaffected by others

Now this is what irks me most.

You are making a lot of assumptions about myself as a person, and my thought process as a photographer.

Lets talk about the subject (Peacock) first. Can you tell me what experience I have had in the past that leads me to take this specific photo? I certainly can't! This was my first time photographing Peacocks, having rarely coming into contact with the (other than the zoo).

I cannot recall seeing a similar image in a mag before either (Sorry not a Nat Geo reader).

My thought process when taking this photo was to capture the beauty and symmetry of the plumage, which IMO I did very well, and uncropped I might add.

So yes there was thought that went into the shot, based on what I wanted to achieve, not plagiarising or using someone elses ideas.

Yes this is my own view, which this particular photo exemplifies.

It has got to do with mind set, you ask if you can not photograph an animal without being labeled a plagiarist, that's a bit silly is it not and highlights your misunderstanding. You can take any picture of animals you like as long as it comes from your own view of things and not from someone else

Look at Max Dupains work, not to copy but to understand his view and how you can develop your own, its obvious that you have not looked or even tried to understand my previous comments and have been too swayed by others on these pages who rant about insults to cover their own unfortunate view

Good luck I wish you the best

I understand your comments completely, I do think you are making assumptions about myself, my thought process, my life experience in photography.

I first picked up a DSLR 5 months ago having no prior experience or studies in photography. I am studying techniques, reading up on current and past photographers, and generally learning what I can.

In the future please don't respond to my threads with disparaging comments.

Most importantly try not to treat other novice photographers this way. Unfortunately its discouraging comments like this than can crush someones desire to persevere with this medium.

If you can help me improve by giving me specific details on what I could have tried on a specific shot (ie: "try using a faster shutter speed to........") thats great.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Edited by 51NAH

Critique or Insult

I will be kind and say that in your anger you have misunderstood my point. I was trying to help you understand the creative process of taking a photograph. We have a history of images based on our experience stored in our mind that we consciously or subconsciously use as a reference point to view a scene that we intend to record and make into a photograph. My point is that it is better to use your own development of ideas of images, the ones that you keep as your best, learning to edit and delete the ones that are bad, as opposed to that of others that have been taken by someone else. I was taught this by a genius, one of Australias most gifted composers of modern classical music who refused to listen to 'bad' music of any kind, and he taught me to develop my own view, unaffected by others

First, you are beginning to see a small flood of people saying to you publicly that we do not appreciate the tone of your postings on this part of the forum.

Second, several of us have already contacted the forum administration about the issue because we have a higher standard on the photo section than in other parts of the forum. We don't argue and insult each other here as in other parts of the TV forums where discussions are rather...well, let's just say free-wheeling. Here we try to encourage people to post their work.

Third, you said, "surely you must accept positive or negative response no matter what, if the opinion of another is neither abusive or disrespectful." We "must" not do anything, particularly "no matter what". And what we are beginning to say to you -- as a group -- is that we find your comments both abusive and disrespectful.

Finally, what you think the purpose of photography is, or what somebody else told you it was (no creative thinking there on your part), may not be what interests us as individuals. With a few rare exceptions, we are amateurs. Almost none of us sells photos. We take pictures and post them because we are trying to improve our personal skills. I have a pbase website where I post travel photos. There's nothing new under the sun there, although I get a slow stream but steady stream of comments back about two things -- one, that I have a good eye for composition and, two (and for me personally more importantly) that "your photos helped me decide what I wanted to see when I planned my trip there" or "your photos make me want to go there". Sometimes we want to emulate a photo we have seen taken by someone else. Can we do it? Do we have the skill or can we learn the skill? I said earlier that there's nothing new under the sun...and that goes to a large extent for photography, in general. Even Ansel Adams got formulaic in his photography.

I love old movies, and often after watching one I'll get on Google and read up on it. I notice that some of the most vociferous critics from the past who were once so read and so feared, in the long term aren't so respected, because they are now looked on as little more than smart-asses out to make a buck. Their style of critiquing movies hasn't held up over time.

The photography part of the TV forum is a community. You aren't fitting in to what this community is about. After about the tenth post of yours that I read I came to conclusion that your posts say much more about who you are as a person, than anything about the person whose photo you think you are critiquing.

The last paragraph of yours posted above is very well written (I'm not saying it is correct, just well written). You have the potential of being a welcome and respected member of this part of the TV forum. The first step would be to read what a group of us are now saying to you and learn.

I offer the above with all due respect.

Critique or Insult

First, you are beginning to see a small flood of people saying to you publicly that we do not appreciate the tone of your postings on this part of the forum.

Second, several of us have already contacted the forum administration about the issue because we have a higher standard on the photo section than in other parts of the forum. We don't argue and insult each other here as in other parts of the TV forums where discussions are rather...well, let's just say free-wheeling. Here we try to encourage people to post their work.

Third, you said, "surely you must accept positive or negative response no matter what, if the opinion of another is neither abusive or disrespectful." We "must" not do anything, particularly "no matter what". And what we are beginning to say to you -- as a group -- is that we find your comments both abusive and disrespectful.

Finally, what you think the purpose of photography is, or what somebody else told you it was (no creative thinking there on your part), may not be what interests us as individuals. With a few rare exceptions, we are amateurs. Almost none of us sells photos. We take pictures and post them because we are trying to improve our personal skills. I have a pbase website where I post travel photos. There's nothing new under the sun there, although I get a slow stream but steady stream of comments back about two things -- one, that I have a good eye for composition and, two (and for me personally more importantly) that "your photos helped me decide what I wanted to see when I planned my trip there" or "your photos make me want to go there". Sometimes we want to emulate a photo we have seen taken by someone else. Can we do it? Do we have the skill or can we learn the skill? I said earlier that there's nothing new under the sun...and that goes to a large extent for photography, in general. Even Ansel Adams got formulaic in his photography.

I love old movies, and often after watching one I'll get on Google and read up on it. I notice that some of the most vociferous critics from the past who were once so read and so feared, in the long term aren't so respected, because they are now looked on as little more than smart-asses out to make a buck. Their style of critiquing movies hasn't held up over time.

The photography part of the TV forum is a community. You aren't fitting in to what this community is about. After about the tenth post of yours that I read I came to conclusion that your posts say much more about who you are as a person, than anything about the person whose photo you think you are critiquing.

The last paragraph of yours posted above is very well written (I'm not saying it is correct, just well written). You have the potential of being a welcome and respected member of this part of the TV forum. The first step would be to read what a group of us are now saying to you and learn.

I offer the above with all due respect.

in reply......words fail me,

as a mere mortal i am afraid that i understand very little about the meaning of the emotions you have put on the page, other than you object to my tone what ever that means. please excuse me if my tonality offends you personally. Fitting in has never been one of my reasons for being

good luck to you and your family

I understand your comments completely, I do think you are making assumptions about myself, my thought process, my life experience in photography.

I first picked up a DSLR 5 months ago having no prior experience or studies in photography. I am studying techniques, reading up on current and past photographers, and generally learning what I can.

In the future please don't respond to my threads with disparaging comments.

Most importantly try not to treat other novice photographers this way. Unfortunately its discouraging comments like this than can crush someones desire to persevere with this medium.

If you can help me improve by giving me specific details on what I could have tried on a specific shot (ie: "try using a faster shutter speed to........") thats great.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I somehow get the feeling from your response, for what ever reason, that you are deliberately misunderstanding my comments, ideas and suggestions however for the benefit of the whole I’ll reply to the main issue and ignore the smart ass comments.

I did not say that you duplicate your next shot from your memory, which is what you are suggesting by saying that you have never taken a picture of a peacock before. What I am suggesting that in you memory you have an idea or concept of an image, in the case of your first peacock a brightly colored object on an out of focus (narrow depth of field) plain background, that you remember consciously or subconsciously when you see a similar scene and that you use this reference point to take your next picture

So it follows that if you continue to keep images that are bad on your computer file and not delete you will see them more often and have more of a chance of using the memory of these bad images as the starting point or reference point for your next picture which has a good chance of being bad as well. If you delete these bad pictures and only keep and look at the good ones you will improve your ability

Here is an exercise you can do that may help you to understand.

Take any brightly colored object and photograph it in natural daylight (time of day is not important, neither is the size).

First photograph the subject, in profile, with the aperture of your lens wide open with a BLACK background some distance from the subject

Now repeat the shot changing the background to GREY (French or mid grey is fine)

Now compare the concept or idea of these two shots with you peacock on the green background and store the one which has the best visual idea in your mind as the reference point when you see a similar scene and then you will improve your ability and your pictures

And relating to your chocolate box images of surf, have you looked at the images of Max Dupain as I suggested? and if you have what do you think of them in relation to your view?

Edited by Kan Win