Thai Immigration Officer

Hi all.

1)Just had a bad experience with the Thai immigration office down at don muang airport.... Well i was flying to Singapore via Air asia and well i entered the terminal 2 in the airport and waiting to get my passport to be stamp by the officer ...Once its my turn i pass my passport to the female officer.. she look at my travell document and then begins shouting at me infront of the other people...

You GO!! GO!!! I ask her why ?? GO!! Terminal 1 not 2... She show her arrogant shit head face shile shouting at me....and she even say some thai words which i dont even kwno what she's mumbling about..I just decided to ignore and go out...I ask the lady who checks my airport tax why cant i entered here?? she check my ticket again and say sorry it should be terminal 2..i told her she should check my boarding pass instead of chatting with her friend .....Anyway she apologize

2) I return from singapore only 2 days of stay there... Its my turn again to hand over my passport to the thai officer he took my passport and begins to check...i was on non o visa multiple.... After several minuted checking it he decided to stamp and gave me 3 month of stay....

he handed my passport to me in a rude way... Just trowing it on the table towards me passport almost fell of the table....

My question is that why are these behave very rudely??? Dont their goverment ever teach them to be polite to foreighner??? They never knew who they dealling with ?? am i rite?? Or are they simply under pay and have to work more...

ive been to alot of countries and i dont see any of these happens to me...In New york when i was there the Immigration offer was very firm asking me alot of Question but in the end after stamping my passport he smiled and say have a great vacation....

Cant the thai officer just smile for god sake and be polite????

please give reply your experience....

thank you

Andy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because that's all the have! You're jetting off somewhere, maybe somewhere exotic and they're stuck in their box for 8-10 hour a day for a few hundred dollars a month.

It would get me down!

sorry, but this is not an excuse for being rude. they did choose this job - nobody forced them.

being rude is the reflexion of power they think they inherit. More power - more arrogance and rudeness. look at trafic police dealing with motorcyclists in bkk, owners of sweat shops in Thonburi etc.

normal situation, just relax and enjoy the show.

btw, I got the same problem in D.M. airport on departure. Just played dumb, that's it

Well after i reached home i called my wife dad and told him about what happen, gave him the officer name Khun Woradit make..

After a couple of minutes this Sh*t Head officer called me personally and send his apology to me.....

I was so mad because i was once with my inlaws going thru the Diplomatic section to get our passport stamp the officer at the Diplomatic booth was so polite but when this time when i go thru the normal foreign passport booth this officer was so damm rude...

I think they choose to be polite to certain people and judge people by its cover....

Well anyway i think there is alot of foreighner that have this kind of experience but dont bother to say anything....

Sometimes it's not the immigration who is being a Sh*t Head. I wasn't there, in your case, so I can't speculate, really... But, it's possible his take on the attitudes exhibited might be different than yours...

Personally, I've only found disinterest, like most others...

Well anyway i think there is alot of foreighner that have this kind of experience but dont bother to say anything....

why bother? do you know how much presure they have at work ? 8hrs non-stop foreigners with attitude, with bad smell, bad english, bad manners, idiots with bad thai lingo, drunk couples, really tired old-timers, screaming kids, vomit-covered tourists, filthy rich guys, and so on...

give them a break, please!

Attention Deficit Disorder is not a big deal, even for former diplomats..

On my way out of the country last week, I recieved the biggest smile from a Lady Immigration officer at Don Muang. Comming back a couple of days ago, I recieved the normal disinterest that I would expect from any Immigration official anywhere in the world. :o

On the way out of bkk was a famale officer and on the way back was a male officer ...well yeah i have read old topics on this forum ...and i can say that alot of people are having problem here in bangkok being fooled by the locals....and yeah if im on the same shoe as the guy that have problems in the exchange booth ill be doing the same like what he did Most foreighner here just wanna have a good time living in bkk with their gals..and dont care about what other do to them...from where i came from we have pride in ourself...

in other words you respect me and ill respect you....Thai people got to change their system...they must follows the multi racial system... Just look at Singapore, Malaysia these countries have alot of races living in their country and they still manage to be among the best in the world in certain areas....yeah in singapore and malaysia way back ago there was a multi racial war among themself but the goverments manage to tacle this problem away

But still i dont give a damm what happen just feels sad that Thailand to me are still in the 3rd world

Thanx all for all the reply

Hey Andy ,

Just forgive the officer dude...Its the nature of their job....Being arrogant is just a test for you....

On your way in or out just give them a big smile and say kop khun krap...and they will smile back to you....no worries.... its just a job....

tytus

Is the OP sure that he wasn't a bit rude, arrogant, or superior in his behavior? Of course the officials don't wai to mere commoners as they wai to the blue-bloods who go through the diplomatic lane.

Never had any problem, and I've been in and out of the country five times per year for two years. Surely other posters have been through the immigration gates a hundred times. Even if the officers do give a bit of superior attitude occasionally for no reason, it's still their country, and we're guests.

Andy... are u Malaysian or Singaporean? :o

I agree those immigration officers may need to be more friendly, even pretending. But my experience with Malaysia and Singapore are not that good too. Never had real prob like that at DM airport though!

Because that's all the have! You're jetting off somewhere, maybe somewhere exotic and they're stuck in their box for 8-10 hour a day for a few hundred dollars a month.

It would get me down!

They work a 24 hour shift, so it is not wonder they get ratty near the end of the day!!

I have always found them to be courteous, but I usually say Sawasdee Krap as I arrive at the desk,

and Kop Khun as I receive my passport back.

Good manners is a two way street.

Exactly. Those officers can detect a superior attitude, and they will not respond in a groveling way. My guess is that the OP is one of those Malaysians or Singaporeans who think their sh*t don't stink and walk around with their noses in the air, especially when they are in an "inferior" country.

this guy/girl sounds awful trollish but what the heck here goes....

i was always under the impression that immigration is like

the principals office you HAVE too go so.... just stand there shut up

and get the ###### outa there without no trouble....

but this guy/girl is married to a diplomats daugheter/son and wants the

red carpet treatment....ha ha i called daddy in law and he yelled at the guy

what a tattiltale pussy.....probaly pattaya TVP...

I take it he/she lost his/her rag when they didn't put a red carpet out.

'Daddy-in-law,boo hoo. I had to walk through with all those horrible normal people'

I too have found most of the immigration staff efficient,some times cheerful.Although I don't know why,faced day after day with Jumbo loads of steryotype tourist people,asking stupid questions that they don't understand.I think they do a splendid job. :D:o

I've probably been through Thai immigration some 150 times in 10 years. Only once was the officer a little tetchy when he noticed that I had once had a two day overstay. The rest of the time they were occaisionally pleasant but mostly disinterested.

I always smile, sawasdee khrap, but do not wai. Always kop khun khrap when I receive back my passport.

I was coming back in a few weeks ago and the officer flipped open my passport and found an old O-multi visa and stamped 90 days before I could say anything. I was a little bemused, as I had put the arrival card on the right page for my current reentry permit but she just yanked it out rather than opening it to that page (as most officers seem to do).

So I said excuse me, did my best at a weak "this is embarrassing for us both" Thai smile and leaned over to point and say I had an extension of stay (in English)... so she flipped a few more pages and found that, then scribbled over and wrote the right "stay until" date over the stamp. She was apologetic but relaxed and I sort of mumbled mai bpen rai (not too confident in my tiny Thai vocabulary yet) and got a nice smile.

I can only agree that you get what you give in these kinds of exchanges. I think a lot of foreigners I have seen who get a Thai person's feathers up do so by expressing a dominant position. I don't know if this is because they subconsciously feel superior, or just because they are unaware of how poorly body position and mannerisms translate between cultures.

Whenever I go to Immigration, get stopped by the police or go through passport control I always 'put on' a big smile and act in a most pleasant manor. Never failed to get the right response so far!

All part of working/living/visiting Thailand....no big deal.

Is the OP sure that he wasn't a bit rude, arrogant, or superior in his behavior?  Of course the officials don't wai to mere commoners as they wai to the blue-bloods who go through the diplomatic lane.

Never had any problem, and I've been in and out of the country five times per year for two years.  Surely other posters have been through the immigration gates a hundred times.  Even if the officers do give a bit of superior attitude occasionally for no reason, it's still their country, and we're guests.

First let me say I never had a problem with the immigrations officers at DM. They're not always as smiling and polite as would have been nice, but never outright rude eiither.

Having said that, would you treat a guest, a visitor to your house in any way but utmost politeness, greeting them at the door? Particularly if you are a merchant and it could be one of your customers?

I think it's a rude welcoming to a country when the officials can't at least be polite.