Thai Immigration Officer

Hi all.

1)Just had a bad experience with the Thai immigration office down at don muang airport.... Well i was flying to Singapore via Air asia and well i entered the terminal 2 in the airport and waiting to get my passport to be stamp by the officer ...Once its my turn i pass my passport to the female officer.. she look at my travell document and then begins shouting at me infront of the other people...

You GO!! GO!!! I ask her why ?? GO!! Terminal 1 not 2... She show her arrogant shit head face shile shouting at me....and she even say some thai words which i dont even kwno what she's mumbling about..I just decided to ignore and go out...I ask the lady who checks my airport tax why cant i entered here?? she check my ticket again and say sorry it should be terminal 2..i told her she should check my boarding pass instead of chatting with her friend .....Anyway she apologize

2) I return from singapore only 2 days of stay there... Its my turn again to hand over my passport to the thai officer he took my passport and begins to check...i was on non o visa multiple.... After several minuted checking it he decided to stamp and gave me 3 month of stay....

he handed my passport to me in a rude way... Just trowing it on the table towards me passport almost fell of the table....

My question is that why are these behave very rudely??? Dont their goverment ever teach them to be polite to foreighner??? They never knew who they dealling with ?? am i rite?? Or are they simply under pay and have to work more...

ive been to alot of countries and i dont see any of these happens to me...In New york when i was there the Immigration offer was very firm asking me alot of Question but in the end after stamping my passport he smiled and say have a great vacation....

Cant the thai officer just smile for god sake and be polite????

please give reply your experience....

thank you

Andy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy

I have been travelling since I was 11 years old - a combination of good genes (and I am not talking Levis501s here) or more likely, parents who had itchy feet.

Immigration officers throughout the world are much the same. My worst experience has to be HEATHROW AIRPORT, London.

This a-h confiscated my gold rolex watch from my wrist. I had had that watch for 7 years but could not provide PAPERS to prove where I had bought it. Heck, it was gift from an admirer. Bottom line? I had to pay a hugh VAT tax to HER MAJESTY'S GOVERNMENT to get my watch returned to me. They kept me locked up in an airless room for 2 1/2 hours whilst they interrogated and strip searched me. Obviously good looking women have a hard time particularly if they are Asian going through European customs and immigration!

It would have been LESS egregrious had I not been a legal resident in England and working there at that time. Top that for a bad experience.

Butterfield8

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

1)Just had a bad experience with the Thai immigration office down at don muang airport.... Well i was flying to Singapore via Air asia and well i entered the terminal 2 in the airport and waiting to get my passport to be stamp by the officer ...Once its my turn i pass my passport to the female officer.. she look at my travell document and then begins shouting at me infront of the other people...

You GO!! GO!!! I ask her why ?? GO!! Terminal 1 not 2... She show her arrogant shit head face shile shouting at me....and she even say some thai words which i dont even kwno what she's mumbling about..I just decided to ignore and go out...I ask the lady who checks my airport tax why cant i entered here?? she check my ticket again and say sorry it should be terminal 2..i told her she should check my boarding pass instead of chatting with her friend .....Anyway she apologize

2) I return from singapore only 2 days of stay there... Its my turn again to hand over my passport to the thai officer he took my passport and begins to check...i was on non o visa multiple.... After several minuted checking it he decided to stamp and gave me 3 month of stay....

he handed my passport to me in a rude way... Just trowing it on the table towards me passport almost fell of the table....

My question is that why are these behave very rudely??? Dont their goverment ever teach them to be polite to foreighner??? They never knew who they dealling with ?? am i rite?? Or are they simply under pay and have to work more...

ive been to alot of countries and i dont see any of these happens to me...In New york when i was there the Immigration offer was very firm asking me alot of Question but in the end after stamping my passport he smiled and say have a great vacation....

thank you

Andy

Hi all.

thank you

Andy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy

I have been travelling since I was 11 years old - a combination of good genes (and I am not talking Levis501s here) or more likely, parents who had itchy feet.

Immigration officers throughout the world are much the same. My worst experience has to be HEATHROW AIRPORT, London.

This a-h confiscated my gold rolex watch from my wrist. I had had that watch for 7 years but could not provide PAPERS to prove where I had bought it. Heck, it was gift from an admirer. Bottom line? I had to pay a hugh VAT tax to HER MAJESTY'S GOVERNMENT to get my watch returned to me. They kept me locked up in an airless room for 2 1/2 hours whilst they interrogated and strip searched me. Obviously good looking women have a hard time particularly if they are Asian going through European customs and immigration!

It would have been LESS egregrious had I not been a legal resident in England and working there at that time. Top that for a bad experience.

Butterfield8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE FROM BUTTERFIELD8 regarding the attitude of Immigration Officers

In NEW YORK CITY about 8 years ago, a Black Immigration officer was very rude to me .. not so much by what she said but by her demeanour and body language.

She said "Why are YOU here?" I was sorely tempted to reply "Because I am NOT there".

Anyway, I counted to 5 and replied "I am in NYC for the Toy Fair Isn't there a kid in ALL of us?" and smiled. She let me through.

So, on the basis that a drop of honey will attract more flies than a tablespoon of vinegar, I LEARNT a good lesson that day.

Okay, back to New York, my 2nd trip 6 months later, another black Immigration officer, looked me up and down before barking out this question:

"Did you bring ANY foodstuff with you?"

My reply?

"No Sirree, I already ate on the plane". And then ... I grinned as if sharing a private joke.

He said "YOu're a good looking lady, nice sense of humour, have a nice stay in New York City" and let me through.

What am I trying to tell you? Only this .. that by the time I was 26, I had already been halfway around the world. I have met the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and they come in all colours viz a viz Immigration officers. Use absolute courtesy (you are a guest in somebody else' country and also do not usually speak their language) when dealing with them and SMILE!!!!!!!!!

Good luck in your next encounter. Over and Out.

In NZ they are mostly ok, except for the odd dork.same as all countries I suppose.I have a mate who knows the NZ customs/immigration law very well and he is always bringing in samples into the country.He is also 100% honest.Any hint of problems from an official and he asks for thier badge number and demands to talk to there superior...works every time for him. I wouldn't try this anywhere else though...esp the USA! :o

In NZ they are mostly ok, except for the odd dork.same as all countries I suppose.I have a mate who knows the NZ customs/immigration law very well and he is always bringing in samples into the country.He is also 100% honest.Any hint of problems from an official and he asks for thier badge number and demands to talk to there superior...works every time for him. I wouldn't try this anywhere else though...esp the USA! :o

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal armour? A smile. It s as contagious as bird flu, SARS and the Bubonic plague all rolled into one.

The smile has to be (however) genuine and you have to like people. Try this experiement. Go out in the streets and smile at a few people. Almost without exception, unless they are earing dark glasses, carrying a white cane and a tin cup .. they will - SMILE BACK.

Spread a little love. Immigration officers are people too. They have their bad days and their good days.

Over and out

Butterfield8

They work a 24 hour shift, so it is not wonder they get ratty near the end of the day!!

An Immigration officer does not work a 24 shift. Where did you hear that?

They work an 8 hour shift, just like the other officials

That may be true at local offices, but NOT at Don Muang.

A senior officer there, told me that at the airport they work 24 hours, on a 1 day in 3 basis.

Same with the customs officiials.

well im from South Afrca but with a Singapore PR Status....Well i think the officers are too rude maybe because im from the african continent or maybe im a singapore PR.... must be because of all these... but anyway he apologise and what da hack its all over....

Ok, just spoke to my gf that worked at the airport up until a couple of months back. She said immigration officers work 2 days on, 2 days off, and a shift is 8 hrs, but of course they have the option of double 16 hr shifts. When no flights coming in, can sleep there.

Rudeness at the airport, plenty of it from staff there. My gf working at the information desk was constantly shocked at the way some of the long termers treated foreigners cursing them in Thai and not helping them at all, and calling ahead to other booths telling them to treat particular foreigners they didn't like badly as well. :o

My gf worked for an agency to get work there, and said the rudeness came from the real employees of the airport who got their jobs through family/friend connections, so any complaints made against them were ripped up and thrown in the bin by senior managers. :D

On the flipside of the coin, a lot of abuse from passengers just arriving, especially Chinese, my gf had things thrown at her, and was threatened with physical violence many a time, and security there will do nothing about this fearing the wrath of the passengers making complaints about them. Even a senior manager at the airport was scared of one Chinese woman who had an Elite Card which made her unofficially more important than many of the staff at the airport. :D

What a welcome to the Land of Smiles. I must add I have had no trouble there but not had to go to use many services there either, just immigration, and always with a smile and politeness which gets you far in every country not just Thailand. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

I can only agree that you get what you give in these kinds of exchanges.  I think a lot of foreigners I have seen who get a Thai person's feathers up do so by expressing a dominant position.  I don't know if this is because they subconsciously feel superior, or just because they are unaware of how poorly body position and mannerisms translate between cultures.

Whenever I go to Immigration, get stopped by the police or go through passport control I always 'put on' a big smile and act in a most pleasant manor. Never failed to get the right response so far!

All part of working/living/visiting Thailand....no big deal.

I've also found when dealing with Immigration Officials Worldwide (or any other government representative for that matter) that it ALWAYS pays to smile, be extra polite and possibly come across as slightly less intelligent than them.

Subsequently, the only time I've ever had a problem with Immigration / Customs officials was more than ten years ago at Heathrow having just returned from a week in Amsterdam - to be expected really!! :o

Never had a problem in Thailand as I realise it's me that's the peice of shit on the bottom of their shoes (cause I wanna come in) and not the other way round. :D

Yesterday, coming back from the Texas-Mexico border to the interior of the USA, we passed the real checkpoint in the desert. My daughter-in-law is Irish - born in Ireland, Irish citizen. When the immigration official asked her nationality, she automatically replied, "I'm Irish." They asked us to pull over for three border guards to check the passport. My daughter-in-law was convinced the guards did NOT know what Ireland was - that they had never heard of it. But they were nice, and we were on our way in two minutes. However, she knew not to ridicule them or get haughty.

the guards did NOT know what Ireland was

It happens. When I was a UK immigration officer I was presented with a bloke from Kiribati and I hadn't a bloody clue where the h*ll it was. I couldn't let on though and having stamped his passport had to look it up in the office atlas.

In the UK immigration service the favourite pastime was Yank-baiting. It's no longer allowed now because of political correctness but the favourite trick was to tell American tour groups that they'd need visas for Scotland and should go to the Scottish embassy in London. Unfortunately, the Met. police put a stop to this little ruse when they got fed up with hoardes of Americans wandering aimlessly around asking for directions to the Scottish embassy.

However, some American passengers didn't need to be baited. On one occasion a chap asked a colleague of mine why pedestrian crossings in the UK emit a beeping noise. The immigration officer rightly informed him that it was so blind people could use them. The American pondered this for a few seconds and said, "Gee, in America we don't let blind people drive." :o

Scouse.

One is sensitive to good behaviour of immigration officers because they are the first people you meet in the country you visit. You want to feel welcome and you want a simple officer with a rather boring and unsatisfying job to give you that feeling.

And the person in question has to check you if you are not a threath to the country by controlling if you have the right papers.

Everybody wants to be more important than he or she is. They do too. They are low in rank and the only ones they can impress are their 'customers'. Give them a break, even if you arrive after a long and tiresome travel.

People wearing uniforms have identity crisis and that counts for all of them anywhere. A uniform makes you a nobody and only by hiding your non-existence behind it you can become somebody.

They pick the weak, because their power is not genuine. It is related to the clothes they wear.

I am absolutely sure, that the intellectual level of a Thai immigration officer is higher than that for instance of a British or American. Many Thai people have to opt for a job like this because they don't have the possibilities to find a better one.

For many British and American officials it is the highest position they can reach with their abilities.

The frustration level of Thai officers might be higher for that. And it shows sometimes in their behaviour.

Asking import duty for a watch you have been wearing for 7 years!!! That's what I call an insult. And it didn't happen in Thailand.

the guards did NOT know what Ireland was

It happens. When I was a UK immigration officer I was presented with a bloke from Kiribati and I hadn't a bloody clue where the h*ll it was. I couldn't let on though and having stamped his passport had to look it up in the office atlas.

In the UK immigration service the favourite pastime was Yank-baiting. It's no longer allowed now because of political correctness but the favourite trick was to tell American tour groups that they'd need visas for Scotland and should go to the Scottish embassy in London. Unfortunately, the Met. police put a stop to this little ruse when they got fed up with hoardes of Americans wandering aimlessly around asking for directions to the Scottish embassy.

However, some American passengers didn't need to be baited. On one occasion a chap asked a colleague of mine why pedestrian crossings in the UK emit a beeping noise. The immigration officer rightly informed him that it was so blind people could use them. The American pondered this for a few seconds and said, "Gee, in America we don't let blind people drive." :D

Scouse.

Scouse,

I had three good friends that used to work at NZ Customs/ Immigration...In those days there could be up to 4 hours between flights (Late shift), so what did the lads do between flights?Well, they went to the pub.What sometimes happened after can only be described as...well crazy.One of my mates bet another that he cld bark like a dog and herd a plane load of Jap tourists into a corner of the custome hall...he did it too. :D

The other stories I can't tell on this forum. :o

I agree with all those who recommend (particularly in Thailand) an extra effort on the passenger's part to at least start off with a pleasant smile when dealing with officials - 99.99% of the time it'll see you on your way through a tedious process quickly & smoothly. Hey, it may even brighten the official's day......... they are human and do have good days and bad days. In any case, just grin and bear it - life's too short.

Viewers of the UK TV programme "Airport" (about London Heathrow) will have had the chance to see a UK immigration officer named Eric who - on numerous occasions - is shown holding up and investigating incoming passengers about whom he has doubts. Point is, no matter how long he holds them up or what hoops he makes them jump through before letting them in, not once have I seen this guy make any kind of apology for the inconvenience; more usually, his attitude comes across as "OK - I can't come up with enough of a reason to deny you entry so I have to let you in.......... but I DON'T like it". Every time I've flown into Heathrow, I've looked for this character - having it in mind that I would ask him just what would be so wrong with at least some form of pleasantness/explanation to those passengers he delays.

I haven't seen him yet and (needless to say), if I do, I'll almost certainly bottle out from saying any such thing.

Edited by Steve2UK

They work a 24 hour shift, so it is not wonder they get ratty near the end of the day!!

An Immigration officer does not work a 24 shift. Where did you hear that?

They work an 8 hour shift, just like the other officials

That may be true at local offices, but NOT at Don Muang.

A senior officer there, told me that at the airport they work 24 hours, on a 1 day in 3 basis.

Same with the customs officiials.

Astral, I believe you are mistaken. I just called the immigration office at DonMuang (0-2535-1111) and spoke to the desk officer. He insisted that nobody works a 24 hour shift. 8 hours is standard, but some can work a maximum of 16 hours straight under special circumstances, on an emergency basis...

Every time i arrived at Don Muang i was treated very good.

Last time i arrived (me, wife, two children) with a lot of luggage. As soon as i got off the plane someone helped us and brought a cart for our luggage and even walked with us to the passport control. I was waiting in line and an officer waved me over to the diplomatic booth. I said to him with a smile, "But that is the diplomatic booth!". "Today you are a diplomat" was his answer. We went through passport control swiftly, and afterwards some other immigration officer helped me carrying my luggage down the escalator and wishing me a pleasant stay.

I can tell you, that was the most warm welcome i ever experienced.

Every time i arrived at Don Muang i was treated very good.

Last time i arrived (me, wife, two children) with a lot of luggage. As soon as i got off the plane someone helped us and brought a cart for our luggage and even walked with us to the passport control. I was waiting in line and an officer waved me over to the diplomatic booth. I said to him with a smile, "But that is the diplomatic booth!". "Today you are a diplomat" was his answer. We went through passport control swiftly, and afterwards some other immigration officer helped me carrying my luggage down the escalator and wishing me a pleasant stay.

I can tell you, that was the most warm welcome i ever experienced.

Nice experience! I wish I'd have one of those sometimes. :o

Hi Andy

I think i know whats the problem here....

Must be the Officer that you encounter was a Sick Old Immigration Officer who have been stuck in Don Muang Airport for so many years and maybe their application been to work in the new upcomming airport have been turn down....thats why they are just waiting for any Visitors to file a complaint about them.... :o

OR

MAybe the officer is young and new who gets to work in the airport thru a connection thath why they are acting weird coz maybe they think they are well protected.....

SO which ones???

Must have been through almost 100 countries and apart from a couple of miserable sods at "Saigons -Ho Che Ming" about 10 years ago and the Head Honcho at Lagos in 1982 (had to bung him a £100 to get out )

I have never had any problem with any immi officers anywhere. :D

Be polite,talk to them and SMILE....... :D:D ...yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir ...of course......absolutely...... :D

I want in /out and they have the rubber stamp. :D ...thats it.... :D

As far as the ones at Don Muang are concerned ......Very Nice....hear that ...You are ALL very very very nice people and do a WONDERFUL job. :o

Must have been through almost 100 countries and apart from a couple of miserable sods at "Saigons -Ho Che Ming" about 10 years ago and the Head Honcho at Lagos in 1982 (had to bung him a £100 to get out )

I  have never had any problem with any immi officers anywhere.  :D

Be polite,talk to them and SMILE....... :D  :D ...yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir ...of course......absolutely...... :D

I want in /out and they have the rubber stamp. :D ...thats it.... :D

As far as the ones at Don Muang are concerned ......Very Nice....hear that ...You are ALL very very very nice people and do a WONDERFUL job.  :o

be_happy_prev.gif

Been in and out of Thailand for the past 15 years (many times). Never a problem, althought never got invited to the "diplomat" desk either. But the poster with a wife and two kids and all that luggage, I wouldn't have wanted to be seated on the airplane next to or near them either. :D

Having recently been to Laos for a visa run via the friendship bridge, i am pleased to announce that the Loas government have found the solution to all misserable buggers at check points around the world. This is good.. no really your going to love this..

Ahherm. When approaching the check point booth on the Loas side of the bridge,(i always have a little, uncalled for, apprehension) i placed my passport through the slot at the bottom of the window and lowered my head a little so i could be seen clearly and to my surprise i saw 2 officials glued to there comp playing a racing car game linked to the booth next door! I laughed, they smiled pressed pause and got on with their job. They were having great fun and if allowed to keep playing this i really dont forsee any problems for anyone entering Laos at this checkpoint again.

Only one small problem i forsee is they needd a much better graphics card as the game did look rather dated!

I went thru Don Muang earlier this week and was in that odd position one gets in every now and then with a full passport (chopped at the corner and stamped invalid by the embassy) and my brand spanking new one. I gave the immigration guy both. He did his thing, and I went thru. Once inside the departure terminal, I realised he'd stamped the old one. I went back out but couldn't remember which guy he was! I was directed to the immigration control desk, where the guys were polite, apologetic etc. They put a stamp in my new passport and noted my visa # below in ink. Smiles all around and was on my way again.. Another time coming in, they stamped 30 day tourist instead of non B 90. You can only blame yourself if you don't take a moment to check the stamp, they're just human. BUT over the years, never been scowled at or treated poorly. Just try smiling Andy, you'll be alright. :o

PS: The absolute last thing I would do is pull some Hi So crap by getting an influential colleague to force the guy to call and apologise... very telling.

Edited by bahtandsold

Yesterday, coming back from the Texas-Mexico border to the interior of the USA, we passed the real checkpoint in the desert.  My daughter-in-law was convinced the guards did NOT know what Ireland was - that they had never heard of it.

That'll be because they haven't had a war with Ireland in the past few decades.

On the way out of bkk was a famale officer and on the way back was a male officer ...well yeah i have read old topics on this forum ...and i can say that alot of people are having problem here in bangkok being fooled by the locals....and yeah if im on the same shoe as the guy that have problems in the exchange booth ill be doing the same like what he did  Most foreighner here just wanna have a good time living in bkk with their gals..and dont care about what other do to them...from where i came from we have pride in ourself...

in other words you respect me and ill respect you....Thai people got to change their system...they must follows the multi racial system... Just look at Singapore, Malaysia these countries have alot of races living in their country and they still manage to be among the best in the world in certain areas....yeah in singapore and malaysia way back ago there was a multi racial war among themself but the goverments manage to tacle this problem away

But still i dont give a damm what happen just feels sad that Thailand to me are still in the 3rd world

Thanx all for all the reply

Wonderful attitude! No surprise you are treated badly. News flash bozo: this is Thailand and it up to you to be polite and behave. When you do so guess what!!!! People here treat you nicely.

Where are you from anyway? Maybe you should stay home if you don't like how things are done in Thailand. Stay in Malaysia or Singapore! One less arrogant farang whose has bad breath and bad attitude. Before you leave though be sure to leave your girlfriend plenty of money so she can love you from afar.

:o

Im from South Africa and have a singapore PR....Im not white and im not Black my heritage are the South Fricans Malays....SO why you got a problem with me???

FYI i aint got no GF you understand me i have a wife and a kid....White ass...So ur White??

Yeah you White people get good treatment but us Africans asian we are treated like shit...u understand me?? Just becoz that idiot officer dont kwow me thats why he tried to show off he's power to me...

Hey you farangs always shows that you are polite and generous and always plays dumb thats why When locals say something bad about you, you just ignaore coz ur dumb....

And also you try to be polite coz you dont have any connection in Thailand and affraid that the authorities will creat trouble for yourself...

heard me??

Im from South Africa and have a singapore PR....Im not white and im not Black my heritage are the South Fricans Malays....SO why you got a problem with me???

FYI i aint got no GF you understand me i have a wife and a kid....White ass...So ur White??

Yeah you White people get good treatment but us Africans asian we are treated like shit...u understand me?? Just becoz that idiot officer dont kwow me thats why he tried to show off he's power to me...

Hey you farangs always shows that you are polite and generous and always plays dumb thats why When locals say something bad about you, you just ignaore coz ur dumb....

And also you try to be polite coz you dont have any connection in Thailand and affraid that the authorities will creat trouble for yourself...

heard me??

Not as dumb as you, you arrogant sh!t.

Maybe you should get down off your high horse and lose the silver spoon you smacked @rse, what you gonna tell daddy inlaw somebody disagrees with you so he can tell them off.