Thai/chinese Amplifiers

blakegeee

I always see these rediculous looking amps (Chinese or Thai?) with funny colours, LEDs everywhere and outragious specs (eg. 10,000W RMS!!!) and I assumed they would be horrible. I had the opportunity to hook one up a while back and couldn't believe how well it actually worked. I have a friend that also said that they aren't that bad despite their appearance.

I am looking for a 2.1 channel amp for the bar (which isn't that big). I just have 2 small towers and a sub. There seem to be a lot available around 2000-3000b that l am guessing are about the right size. I haven't found any that have a sub output though so then I was thinking about getting a 4 channel one and hook the sub up to the "speakers B". I don't usually use the sub except at Songkran or wild parties so I could just turn on speakers B (my sub) when needed. Then I realized that there seems to be no separate controls for speakers B. The volume, bass etc adjusts all the speakers, A and B.

I am in Chiang Mai and wondering if anybody can recommend;

-where to buy

-which of these funny brands are best

-if they know where I might find a 2.1 channel amp or something compatible

My friend told me to turn the knobs a lot to see how they feel which often indicate the quality. I'd like to go by a bit more than just that although its not a bad start. Any additional info is appreciated!

Edited by blakegeee

My friend told me to turn the knobs a lot to see how they feel which often indicate the quality.

That is probably a good start. :D

Listen for crackling sounds from the speakers as you turn the knob (not a good sign).

Take along a CD or two and ask hear the sound and see what you think.

IME "turn up the volume we need more distortion" is the usual Thai approach :)

and may be the case with these amps, but worth a listen all the same.