Spelling Lists

withnail

I'm trying to teach myself how to read Thai and I guessed that as well as learning all the tone rules it would be a good idea to start learning entire words. I know some already just from the limited experience I have in learning the alphabet and I imagine it will be easier to absorb all of the rules if I have real words to back them up.

My question is therefore does anyone have any spelling lists where the words are grouped together by their tone or any other ideas as to the best way to learn the words. I would pressume that this would be better than learning words at random. Much like children in England would learn words grouped together by their phoenetic sound i.e. Cat, Bat, Hat.

What methods do they use in the formal classes to drill this in quicker?

Withnail

I'm trying to teach myself how to read Thai and I guessed that as well as learning all the tone rules it would be a good idea to start learning entire words. I know some already just from the limited experience I have in learning the alphabet and I imagine it will be easier to absorb all of the rules if I have real words to back them up.

My question is therefore does anyone have any spelling lists where the words are grouped together by their tone or any other ideas as to the best way to learn the words. I would pressume that this would be better than learning words at random. Much like children in England would learn words grouped together by their phoenetic sound i.e. Cat, Bat, Hat.

Withnail

You could always try the 'Fundamentals of the Thai Language' - electronic copies are available from various sources, though printed copies are a bit harder to come by. The word lists there for reading drill are mostly monosyllables, the part of the language that's easy to read.

The long words can be difficult. There are currently some brain-frying challenging alphabetic lists for advanced students at Difficult Words to Pronounce. (Nothing as difficult as รรรรร or รรรรรร, though!) There are a few easy to read words mixed in with them that are just difficult to spell. Be warned that a few of the answers are wrong! You will need to check the answers in the Royal Institute Dictionary, though even that is not 100% reliable.

Withnail

The AUA reading course starts by introducing some of the sonorants and two vowels, then expands to some more sonorants and vowels, then on to other low class consonants and yet another set of vowels, and so on. Then on to middle class consonants and high class consonants. Each chapter contains words for practice and finally a short text based on what you have learned. Not too inspiring perhaps, but gives you exactly what you need. Any Thai will be able to guide you through the reading exercises since they are very straightforward.