Khanom Beaches

olsen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently spent two days in Chumphon

The beaches there were very beatiful and to my surprise deserted.

Then I discovered I had been ravaged by sandflys.

86 bites in one sitting.

That was 6 weeks ago, I have had numerous visits to hospitals for lotions, potions and injections and the itching is at last subsiding.

I won't be going again !!

Beautiful beaches though !!!!

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!! :)

The missus, the mutt and I quite like having the beach all to ourselves - not telling you which one :D

Edited by yotspeed

You guys that want olsen to keep quiet need to realize that olsen is in the business of promoting this region, therefore, it is highly unlikely that he will keep quiet. He wants this area to develop so he can make a killing selling land and developing property.

You guys that want olsen to keep quiet need to realize that olsen is in the business of promoting this region, therefore, it is highly unlikely that he will keep quiet. He wants this area to develop so he can make a killing selling land and developing property.

If that's the case, this thread should be deleted as it is indirect advertising!

Olsen, why not develop somewhere else ..... say Namibia.

:)

Wow protective lot...

The beaches are great in that part of Thailand,

Relax fellas the real threat to these areas are the shrimp/crab farmers that are greedily snapping up the coast and changing the natural order of things.

This time of year is awesome for birds of prey to as they migrate.

Tourism samui style is a long long long way of.

these pics are of beaches near suratthani,is that correect? they certainly look fantastic.

Yes, Khanom is located some 70 kilometers south of Surat Thani and almost opposite of Koh Samui. You can actually view Koh Samui from the beaches in Khanom! Only 30 mins away by speed boat! But yet soo far away from the hustle and bustle there! :)

86 bites in one sitting.

That was 6 weeks ago, I have had numerous visits to hospitals for lotions, potions and injections and the itching is at last subsiding.

Why do you talk about Chunphon beaches and sand flies, ThaiPauly???

Khanom is more than 200 kilometers from Chumphon !!?? In Khanom we have no sand flies at all!!

But sorry for your bad experiences in Chumphon.

I've been there myself....but I was very disappointed when I saw the beaches there. I only found 1 decent beach....but nothing compared to the beauty of Khanom!!

Seems you don't actually know where Khanom is located, right? :)

rockyysdt> Easy to take a bus or minibus from Surat Thani to Khanom. It takes less than 1 hour from the bus station.

Accomodation is great, there are plenty of beachfront resorts and hotels and guest houses in town with prices ranging from 500 THB to 3,000 THB/night.

Nice pics. But the last one is Tasala, isn't it?

I've been to Kanhom last couple of months back for the Ample Moon Party.

It was a bit ripped off but I still love the beach there.

The last pic is from a beach in Sao Phao somewhere midway between Khanom and Tha Sala. Appx. 40 kilometers south of Khanom.

Please explain...did you get ripped off while attending the Ample Moon Party?? :D

What happened?

Now the entrance fee is reduced to 250 THB. You will get food and drink vouchers for this amount, so you can eat and drink for 250 THB and enjoy the live music on stage. :)

Edited by olsen

Nice pics. But the last one is Tasala, isn't it?

I've been to Kanhom last couple of months back for the Ample Moon Party.

It was a bit ripped off but I still love the beach there.

The last pic is from a beach in Sao Phao somewhere midway between Khanom and Tha Sala. Appx. 40 kilometers south of Khanom.

Please explain...did you get ripped off while attending the Ample Moon Party?? :D

What happened?

Now the entrance fee is reduced to 250 THB. You will get food and drink vouchers for this amount, so you can eat and drink for 250 THB and enjoy the live music on stage. :D

About getting ripped off from AMP, probably because of my stupidity. :D I had no clue what the party was like.

I bought 2 tickets at 3600 baht from the exhibition at Tung Talad Park which included 1 night accommodation at Kanhom Golden Beach Hotel, breakfast and 4 tickets to get in.

And found out at the end we only 4 tiny glasses of drink. We had to buy our own food which was quite expensive and not that good. And didn't care about teenagers got to the party from the beach. I complained and they've said that impossible as they had security guards to keep an eye on. I might be wrong but I've seen non of them!

The other thing really pissed me off was, I had to make my own cocktail at the bar!!! They didn't know how to make basic cocktail and gave me bloody good excuse by saying they run out of time and couldn't get all the ingredients.

If you were there on 5th Sept. you would see a Thai Lady in the black dress running around making her own Pinacolada for herself and their customer. Although they've got the cocktail recipe books with them, it didn't seem to work well.

About 3 weeks fter the party I got a call from them again offered the ticket at 1500 each this time.

Lucky I was in Singapore, enjoy the F1 and made a good excuse to them.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself sometime as I am Thai who is too soft and too polite to tell them to F Off.

Anyway, I don't think Kanhom (or the hotel?) is ready and up to it yet but I could be wrong.

I understand that you like and try to promote the place Olsen and thank you very much for that, it doesn't matter if you do it for your own business sake or because of you really love Kanhom.

But please try to make the locals get ready fot it first. :)

SillyOne> I am not so sure you really got "ripped off" - The first Ample Moon Party entrance fees were 750 THB per person. So if you paid 3600 THB for 2 tickets including a hotel room with breakfast then you paid 1050 for the room and 750 for the ticket.

But I agree that the tiny welcome drink was kind of ripp off :)

Now the entrance fee is reduced to 250 THB and you get food and drink vouchers so you can eat and drink for this amont.

The food might seem expensive, but you have to think the Khanom commitee that arranges this party do have a lot of expenses for hiring the musicians.

I've never seen any security guards also :D but I guess they are somewhere around.....

I agree Khanom Golden Beach Hotel isn't amongst the best in the area....but it also depends what you're willing to pay per night.

We have a 5 Star resort, Racha Kiri, and a new 5 Star resort is opening in November this year....so I am sure that soon Khanom will be up for bigger challenges in the future....remember Khanom is still almost unknown to most people in Thailand :D

86 bites in one sitting.

The same thing happened to me in Hua Hin. I have heard the western gulf side is bad for sandflies and I believe it after my visit to the beaches of HH.

Edited by losworld

The same thing happened to me in Hua Hin. I have heard the western gulf side is bad for sandflies and I believe it after my visit to the beaches of HH.

I go to the beach in Khanom regularly and I never had any problems with sand flies..... :)

Khanom will never get that big due to the fact there is only 1 crappy road heading to Nai Plao beach, it can't be made bigger due to buildings on either side and there are too many mountains. Mosts of the hotels are over priced and the lack of decent food doesn;t help also there isn't any transportation when you get there, so you are stuck unless you rent a bike or a car!!

I have heard the same tune for over 7 years and still nothing......... waiting, waiting.........nope nothing :)

Is there an effective repellant for sand flies?

Thai aerobics - run like hel_l while swatting.

The food in the resorts and bungalow? I've found pretty much all over Thailand that the bigger and more expensive the resort the less likely you are to get a really good meal. The last time I checked, a number of businesses were for sale in the area. Is that still the case?

Mosts of the hotels are over priced and the lack of decent food !

When you say over priced what figures are we talking about?

Most of the hotels??? Overpriced??? Compared to what??? If you compare to Koh Samui with the overcrowded beaches then the rooms rates are for sure not overpriced!

You can get a beachfront bungalow from only 1,500 THB per night with wireless internet, UBC satellite TV and Air Con. Is that overpriced???

I don't know where you eat, but where I eat the food is great!!

Remember, this is the real Thailand, you don't get westernized Thai food here... ! Of course there are a few places where they tend to moderate the use of Thai spices....

Edited by olsen