Khanom Beaches

olsen

The food in the resorts and bungalow? I've found pretty much all over Thailand that the bigger and more expensive the resort the less likely you are to get a really good meal. The last time I checked, a number of businesses were for sale in the area. Is that still the case?

Some places serves better food than other places....I have my own favorites, but maybe I don't have the same taste as you, so not easy for me to recommend someone over another. But ONE place I always recommend is Khun Lee's Steak House. This is some of the best Thai food I've ever eaten in my 12 years in Thailand...and my Thai wife agrees with me....

A number of businesses for sale? Yeah.... there are a few for sale....an Australian are selling her shop house at the beach road with good opportunity to start a restaurant or cafe.

A German is selling his restaurant/pub/bakery/butchery in Khanom Town. BTW....they make the best burgers in the Khanom area!!

I also know of 2 resorts for sale, beachfront resorts with pool and from 5 to 8 bungalows. Priced from 25 million THB.

Edited by olsen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 1,500 baht, I can get a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, Phuket or Samui. A beach front bungalow in the latter two places are 100-200 baht cheaper than Khanom. Tell us where this good food is then, please. The only decent place to eat, Khula what?, is now closed.

"Remember, this is the real Thailand, you don't get westernized Thai food here... ! Of course there are a few places where they tend to moderate the use of Thai spices...."

I'm confused. Did you just contradict yourself in the same sentence? What is westernized Thai food then if not for the moderate use of Thai spices... By the way, most Thai spices aren't really Thai, Chili being one of them.

Thanks for the recommendation to go to Lek's Steak House. Where else? I will be there little over a week from now. If I only had 25 million to buy a resort...

Anyway, I'm looking for a place to relocate to and I'm very hopeful that Khanom is going to offer all that I'm looking for.

Oh, Khun Lee's

Can you send me the listing on the Beach Road place? I might want to have a look when I get there. I don't want to buy an existing business, but might be interested in a long term rental and opening something different. Not food, but live work space would be good.

For 1,500 baht, I can get a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, Phuket or Samui.

I go four/five times a year in Bkk and a couple in Phuket. I like also to stay in 4 stars hotels, just for a little confort outside Koh Phangan, but I cannot afford a 5 stars.

So, can you kindly give me some address of 5 stars hotels in BKK for a 1.500 baht/night? (I can reach 2.500 too)?

For 1,500 baht, I can get a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, Phuket or Samui.

I go four/five times a year in Bkk and a couple in Phuket. I like also to stay in 4 stars hotels, just for a little confort outside Koh Phangan, but I cannot afford a 5 stars.

So, can you kindly give me some address of 5 stars hotels in BKK for a 1.500 baht/night? (I can reach 2.500 too)?

Stick with what you know on the hotel front anguid. The add ons in 5 star places make them poor value for money.

Nice pics by the way.

Khanom will never get that big due to the fact there is only 1 crappy road heading to Nai Plao beach, it can't be made bigger due to buildings on either side and there are too many mountains. Mosts of the hotels are over priced and the lack of decent food doesn;t help also there isn't any transportation when you get there, so you are stuck unless you rent a bike or a car!!

I have heard the same tune for over 7 years and still nothing......... waiting, waiting.........nope nothing :)

Well....Khanom will be a huge tourist destination within a few years....have you seen the progress the past 3 years????

Khanom is more than just Nai Plao Beach...... this beach is just a small part of what Khanom has to offer....

Of course Khanom is not for everyone to enjoy....if you are the kind of tourist who just loves Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket, then you are on the wrong track about Khanom. No go go bars and pizzerias at every corner....

For 1,500 baht, I can get a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, Phuket or Samui. A beach front bungalow in the latter two places are 100-200 baht cheaper than Khanom. Tell us where this good food is then, please. The only decent place to eat, Khula what?, is now closed.

"Remember, this is the real Thailand, you don't get westernized Thai food here... ! Of course there are a few places where they tend to moderate the use of Thai spices...."

I'm confused. Did you just contradict yourself in the same sentence? What is westernized Thai food then if not for the moderate use of Thai spices... By the way, most Thai spices aren't really Thai, Chili being one of them.

Congrats if you can get a 5 star hotel room in BKK for 1,500 baht....! But hard to reach the beach from this room, no? :D

If you can find beachfront bungalows in Phuket and Samui priced at 1,300 baht per night in the high season, then you are lucky! I dare to doubt. Do you have any links? But wahtever, then you have to share the beaches with thousands of tourists, and it's okay to me if you prefer that :D

Yes, Khula Bhula is closed....did you find this was the only place with decent food?? So you prefer western food in favor of Thai food???

Then, for now, Khanom is not for you to visit. We don't have hundreds of different western food restaurants....

Sorry if I contradicted myself....most restaurants serves traditional Thai food, that is not "westernized".....you get the real Thai food, as the locals like it!

BUT....there are a few places where you can get less spicy and westernized food. One of the is Khanom Paradise. I only yeat there once, and I found the food okay, but I prefer the REAL Thai food, not something that is made to suit tourists' taste!!

If you want real western food, visit Sabai Pub & Restaurant at the main road in Khanom Town. It is a German restaurant with home made bread and German Schnitzels, beef, burger and you name it. Quite good IMHO.

Why is it that somebody always complain??? :)

Some more pics:

post-58494-1257092969_thumb.jpg post-58494-1257092995_thumb.jpg

Yeah, definitely the most beautiful beaches in Khanom, and actually I would say in all of Thailand!

This is Thong Ching Bay and Thong Node Beach some 10 kilometers north of Khanom on the way to Don Sak (the ferry port to Koh Samui.)

This is where the old ferry port from Khanom to Koh Samui is located.

Thanks for the recommendation to go to Lek's Steak House. Where else? I will be there little over a week from now. If I only had 25 million to buy a resort...

Anyway, I'm looking for a place to relocate to and I'm very hopeful that Khanom is going to offer all that I'm looking for.

I don't eat much out, but if you prefer real Thai food, then the best one's I've tried are apart from Khun Lee's (with the best mentioned first):

1. Baan Thong Ching Resort - at the old ferry port 10 km north of Khanom. Well worth a visit, best view of Thong Ching Bay from the beachfront restaurant.
  2. Kanikas - very good Thai food at the main road of Khanom Town.
  3. Racha Kiri Resort & Spa - Good Thai food, also some international courses.....but I prefer their Thai food.
  4. Sabai Restaurant - German food at the main road of Khanom Town.
  5. Anavilla Resort - located just next to the river just out of town on the way to the old ferry port.

You don't have to agree with me, but these are my favorites in Khanom.

6 posts in a row? You sound like a worried man Olsen. Until there is an infrastructure, it will never take off. Out of all the farangs I know/knew there, three are left and the others have either died or left with very deep and empty pockets and long faces.

:)

Yes it is a little hard to get to the beach from a hotel in Bangkok. If you read the whole sentence you will notice that I include Phuket and Samui. Please don't tell me that it is hard to get to the beach from these places because I won't believe you.

Why is it that somebody always tries to make something appear better than it really is???

Worried, I should say so. Just look at that building project that is half complete and a year behind schedule. Thai Royal Residence, if I am not mistaken.

Lets sum it up: No Infrastructure, very little in the way of western food, the Thai food is Thai food(gaeng som anybody?), poor service, and to top it off, sand flies.

6 posts in a row? You sound like a worried man Olsen. Until there is an infrastructure, it will never take off. Out of all the farangs I know/knew there, three are left and the others have either died or left with very deep and empty pockets and long faces.

:)

Well...I started this post, right? So don't you expect me to reply??

Sorry about your buddies who left with empty pockets....they probably invested in Khanom at the wrong time...

I am a former business broker, and the most important thing in business is to make sure that you actually have adequate capital to run this business....and remember that it often takes 1 to 2 years before your business is profitable. No matter if we're talking about Phuket, Bangkok or Khanom!

Khanom is new...and up-and-coming, so if you cannot survive in busienss until it is profitable, then you don't have enough capital. I know plenty of people in Pattaya and Phuket who started up in business and only lasted 6 or 12 months before they went broke....

I also know a lot of business people in Khanom who are doing very well....

My advice to my former business broker clients was: Don't go into business if you cannot survice 12 to 18 months without profit!!

Yes it is a little hard to get to the beach from a hotel in Bangkok. If you read the whole sentence you will notice that I include Phuket and Samui. Please don't tell me that it is hard to get to the beach from these places because I won't believe you.

Why is it that somebody always tries to make something appear better than it really is???

Worried, I should say so. Just look at that building project that is half complete and a year behind schedule. Thai Royal Residence, if I am not mistaken.

Lets sum it up: No Infrastructure, very little in the way of western food, the Thai food is Thai food(gaeng som anybody?), poor service, and to top it off, sand flies.

I never mentioned it was hard to get to the beach in Phuket and Koh Samui.....but on the other hand...I must say.....actually it is hard to get ANYWHERE in Phuket and Koh Samui in the high season. Traffic jams all the way around the islands, thousands of tourists fighting to get the same empty spot at one of the beaches....the beaches are so overcrowded that you can hardly breath!!

And you forgot to mention the names of these 1,300 baht beachfront bungalows....I would love to visit them next time I go there!

Why is it that somebody always tries to make something appear worse than it really is?

As for me, I just tell you my opinion, adn you don't have to agree with me, but of course I will defend my point of view.

I have talked to hundreds of tourists in my 3 years here...and I've only met a few persons that didn't like Khanom!

I can give you links to several sitea that praise Khanom....but why bother....you have your opinion and that is okay with me.

Regarding Thai Royal Residence....they were hit very hard by the world wide economical crisis and had to halt the contruction....but they're ready to continue their project from New Year.

Such situations are also the fact in Phuket and Koh Samui....Phuket alone had 50 unfinished developments last time I heard about it....developments are halted all over Thailand, so this single one in Khanom it nothing to worry about, is it??? But of course this was the only example you could find, right?

Edited by olsen

I was talking to 1 bar owner on Saturday night and he can't get anything near what he paid for it back :) and his house is also for sale..... That is over 2 years on the market without a nibble..... Who is starting to get worried??

Yeah...I know this guy too.

I have his bar and his house for sale!

His house is a 5 storey monster overlooking Khanom Bay. He started advertising it for sale 2 years ago for 30 million!!

Highly overpriced!

1 year ago he lowered his asking price to 25 million THB.

Still highly overpriced!

Today it is for sale at 15 million THB.

That is a fair price and I guess it will be sold within the next 6 months!

And the guy will still earn money on it, coz he didn't pay that much for the land and the construction for sure!!

His bar was also overpriced...staring with 28 million THB for a bar with restaurant and 9 rooms for rent.

Now the price is reduced to 22 million THB.

Still overpriced. And I doubt very much I can find a buyer for him.

I reckon the price should be around 15 million THB.

If he sell at that price, he will for sure not loose money!!

Olsen, seems you know a lot about Khanom. Just to avoid mistakes, when is the best time to go Khanom, with good weather and calm sea (to go to the nearby islands)?

Right now is not the best time! We are hit by the moonsone this month and it rains cats and dogs!

Best time to visit is from end of December to end of March/start of April.

olsen, I know you are promoting the Khahom area and that you are familiar with Tha Sala. So how much would a 2.6 rai plot of land in Tha Sala with about 40 meters of beach front and 100 meters from the beach to the road of cleared level land be selling for at this time? I'm guessing at least 2.6 million baht or more.

Olsen, seems you know a lot about Khanom. Just to avoid mistakes, when is the best time to go Khanom, with good weather and calm sea (to go to the nearby islands)?

Right now is not the best time! We are hit by the moonsone this month and it rains cats and dogs!

Best time to visit is from end of December to end of March/start of April.

This is what I need to know. Thank, Olsen. I'll ask for more input the next season :)

olsen, I know you are promoting the Khahom area and that you are familiar with Tha Sala. So how much would a 2.6 rai plot of land in Tha Sala with about 40 meters of beach front and 100 meters from the beach to the road of cleared level land be selling for at this time? I'm guessing at least 2.6 million baht or more.

Yeah I know Tha Sala. This is a small size of land, so the price per rai is a bit higher than the bigger plots. With 40 meter beachfront the average price per rai is appx. 1.6 million THB. For bigger sized beachfront land the price is in average 1.5 million THB per rai. If you can find 2 rai for less than 1.6 per rai, then it's a steal! Good luck ;-)

This is what I need to know. Thank, Olsen. I'll ask for more input the next season :)

You're welcome, angiud!

Friends of mine who lived and worked here for 12 years say that the monsoon these last few days is the worst they've ever experienced in this area!!

Today no storms and no rain, and the sun shined from a blue sky in the morning. A little windy though....and the sea is quite rough.