Khanom Beaches

olsen

actually it is hard to get ANYWHERE in Phuket and Koh Samui in the high season. Traffic jams all the way around the islands, thousands of tourists fighting to get the same empty spot at one of the beaches....the beaches are so overcrowded that you can hardly breath!!

I realize you are trying to hype up Khanom, but please don't go making up stories about Phuket and Samui.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know Tha Sala. This is a small size of land, so the price per rai is a bit higher than the bigger plots. With 40 meter beachfront the average price per rai is appx. 1.6 million THB. For bigger sized beachfront land the price is in average 1.5 million THB per rai. If you can find 2 rai for less than 1.6 per rai, then it's a steal! Good luck ;-)

I don't need to find the land as this is a description of the land my wife already owns. Thank you for the information. I'm surprized (but not disappointed) that the prices have gone up this much since we bought it.

Here are some pictures.

post-10894-1257545598_thumb.jpgpost-10894-1257545607_thumb.jpg

post-10894-1257545623_thumb.jpgpost-10894-1257545632_thumb.jpg

I realize you are trying to hype up Khanom, but please don't go making up stories about Phuket and Samui.

Hype up Khanom?? Well I just started this topic by posting 4 photos of our beaches...and people begin to talk about sand flies (which is a lie), bad service, poor food and expensive rooms..... which all is so ridiculous that I had to reply!

Making up stories....??? I've lived in Phuket for 4 years.....so I know what I am talking about!

Have you ever been in Patong in December?? If you have, then you must agree with me that it hard to get anywhere and see anything with all those tourists....

Last time I visited Phuket was 2 months ago....here I made a trip from Phuket Town to Patong. By car. It was almost one long ride in a huge traffic jam! There is only 15 kilometers from Phuket Town to Chalong, but it took me 1 hour....each way....!! It was like driving in BKK during peak hours!!

About Koh Samui....I've only been there once, and it was enough for me to realize the situation there....and I have read tons of posts and reports stating that the traffic jams in the towns are terrible....simply too many cars for this small island!

For both these places is that the infrastructure is not made to serve 5 million visitors every year!!

Edited by olsen

donx> NIce photos...and nice land indeed. This is the area of Sra Kaeo, right? Some 10 kilometers outside Tha Sala when heading to Sichon, no?

2 years ago you could buy land like this from 600,000 THB/rai. So yes, it's a hefty increase in land prices in this area...but it is quite common when foreigners relocate to new destinations, that the land prices goes up due to the activity....this is also the fact in Sichon and Khanom.

In average the land prices in Khanom and Sichon raise with 150% per year....exactly the same rates as Phuket....

May I ask, how much did you pay for the land? When did you buy it?

ronwparker> The first photo is from Thong Ching Bay some 10 kilomters north of Khanom close to the old ferry port to Koh Samui. Here you can find a very nice resort. Baan Thong Ching.....you can google it and find more info....nice place....and you got the beach all to yourself.

The second photo is from Thong Yi Beach....a few kilometers south of Khanom Town. To get there you drive past Racha Kiri Resort and Spa around 2 kilometers....There is a resort there named Ao Thong Yi Resort.....there is also a camping site where you're allowed to bring your own tent.....perfect for backpackers!!

The 3rd photo is of Khanom Bay....plenty of accomodation here....if you want this exact view you should head for Racha Kiri Resort and Spa.

4th photo is from Sao Phao, and there is a foreign owned resort nearby Yeoser's Beach Resort.

donx> NIce photos...and nice land indeed. This is the area of Sra Kaeo, right? Some 10 kilometers outside Tha Sala when heading to Sichon, no?

2 years ago you could buy land like this from 600,000 THB/rai. So yes, it's a hefty increase in land prices in this area...but it is quite common when foreigners relocate to new destinations, that the land prices goes up due to the activity....this is also the fact in Sichon and Khanom.

In average the land prices in Khanom and Sichon raise with 150% per year....exactly the same rates as Phuket....

May I ask, how much did you pay for the land? When did you buy it?

We put a 100,000 baht down payment for the land in April 2007 with the help of family members and friends. This is because we live in the US. My wife performed the title transfer at the end of June 2007. We paid 750,000 baht/rai for a total of 1,950,000 baht for the 2.6 rai. We had until the end of June to complete the purchase. The seller paid all transfer fees. The seller said he wished we didn't show up because they had an offer for 1,000,000 baht/rai if our purchase fell through.

I actually got interested in this area because another Thai Visa member was selling a plot of land somewhere near Sichon. My brother-in-law looked at it and one of my wife's cousin's knew of this plot and recommended it instead. The brother-in-law agreed and since this was bigger, less expensive and because the other plot wasn't very deep (short distance between the beach and the road) we decided on this plot instead.

I don't know the name of the area but it is about a 10-15 minute drive from Tesco to the land. It is very close to what looks like a small Thai resort. From Tesco as you go North toward Sichon, you have to make a U-turn and turn left at the Thai Wat on the main road. Follow that road over a small river and turn left where the road forks. You go for a while keeping to the right. After passing the Thai resort, there is a small dirt road that you turn right onto going toward the beach. Within about 10 meters the road turns left parallel to the beach. There was a big sign at the entrance to the dirt road that my wife told me indicated that the government was going to pave this road. It may already be paved. I haven't been back to see it since we bought the land. Even if it is still a dirt road, it was in very good condition. Across the dirt road from our property, a relative of my wife's cousin lives in a house with water and electric so I know that they are readily available. I was told that the Thais don't like to build houses near the beach. Are they afraid of ocean storms or tidal waves?

Our daughter is heading over in mid-Dec and we're taking her to Trang. My wife and I have never been there (we live in Udon). I take it renting a car shouldn't be difficult, and from the sounds of things on this topic, there are plenty of nice beaches and restaurants. I'd prefer not making resort reservations until we get there and can see for ourselves. I know that's chancey in places like Phuket at this time of the year, but how about Trang?

Anyone want to offer a top 10 list of places to see/eat/do in Trang or within 100km?

Please don't call me a liar. It is a fact that my friends and I have been bitten by sandflies on the beaches in Khanom on all occasions that I have visited Khanom in the past 4 years. I am also entitled to express my opinions about service, poor food and expensive rooms. I thought this forum was here for people to express their opinions without being called "ridiculous liars"? I could think of some things to call you, but I will refrain.

I was approached last month by someone near photo 4 selling a 2 rai block of land with over 100m beachfront and they were asking 1.3million per rai and would consider offers, my wife contacted others in the area and there is quite a bit of land for sale in the area and this seems to be the going rate for beachfront here at the moment.

As for the sandflies, I have been to khanom and hat nai plao many times over the last couple of years and have never been bitten or even seen one.

Kokesaat, the Amari Resort in Trang has great rooms and excellent food. Their breakfast buffet is the best one I have ever had. I haven't been there in a few years, so maybe it has changed.

They're booked solid for 10-14 Dec. Any other good suggestions? thanks for taking the time!

Making up stories....??? I've lived in Phuket for 4 years.....so I know what I am talking about!

Have you ever been in Patong in December?? If you have, then you must agree with me that it hard to get anywhere and see anything with all those tourists....

Last time I visited Phuket was 2 months ago....here I made a trip from Phuket Town to Patong. By car. It was almost one long ride in a huge traffic jam! There is only 15 kilometers from Phuket Town to Chalong, but it took me 1 hour....each way....!! It was like driving in BKK during peak hours!!

Been there in December several times. Patong Beach. Never once had a problem booking a tour I wanted the night/day before. Never had a problem catching a Tuktuk or motorcycle taxi when I needed one. Patong Beach itself can get crowded, but there's much prettier (and empty) beaches a short motorbike ride away.

The only traffic jams I've ever experienced were caused by construction or accidents.

Been there in December several times. Patong Beach. Never once had a problem booking a tour I wanted the night/day before. Never had a problem catching a Tuktuk or motorcycle taxi when I needed one. Patong Beach itself can get crowded, but there's much prettier (and empty) beaches a short motorbike ride away.

The only traffic jams I've ever experienced were caused by construction or accidents.

The OP is just trying to paint a glossy picture at the expense of other places. Laughable really. :)

The OP is just trying to paint a glossy picture at the expense of other places. Laughable really. :)

He is promoting but he doesn't do anything else than most of us were doing a long time ago when we first got the Thailand-Flu and spilled the rosy stories, back home, to our friends and families urging them to visit Thailand as well.

I did the same when I came downhill for the first time, approaching Patong Beach...a virgin beach; more than 30 years ago. I came to Thailand when a mere 1 million tourists (mainly from Asia) visited the country. Now some 14 million.

It's all in the game, everywhere else in the world and Khanom Beach (never been there) will end up being a tourist spot as well. The OP is just accelerating the process because there's internet nowadays.

That wasn't so, 30 years ago.

LaoPo

We put a 100,000 baht down payment for the land in April 2007 with the help of family members and friends. This is because we live in the US. My wife performed the title transfer at the end of June 2007. We paid 750,000 baht/rai for a total of 1,950,000 baht for the 2.6 rai. We had until the end of June to complete the purchase. The seller paid all transfer fees. The seller said he wished we didn't show up because they had an offer for 1,000,000 baht/rai if our purchase fell through.

I actually got interested in this area because another Thai Visa member was selling a plot of land somewhere near Sichon. My brother-in-law looked at it and one of my wife's cousin's knew of this plot and recommended it instead. The brother-in-law agreed and since this was bigger, less expensive and because the other plot wasn't very deep (short distance between the beach and the road) we decided on this plot instead.

I don't know the name of the area but it is about a 10-15 minute drive from Tesco to the land. It is very close to what looks like a small Thai resort. From Tesco as you go North toward Sichon, you have to make a U-turn and turn left at the Thai Wat on the main road. Follow that road over a small river and turn left where the road forks. You go for a while keeping to the right. After passing the Thai resort, there is a small dirt road that you turn right onto going toward the beach. Within about 10 meters the road turns left parallel to the beach. There was a big sign at the entrance to the dirt road that my wife told me indicated that the government was going to pave this road. It may already be paved. I haven't been back to see it since we bought the land. Even if it is still a dirt road, it was in very good condition. Across the dirt road from our property, a relative of my wife's cousin lives in a house with water and electric so I know that they are readily available. I was told that the Thais don't like to build houses near the beach. Are they afraid of ocean storms or tidal waves?

Nice land at a nice price....today it's worth minimum the 2 times the price you paid for it. Good investment.

Actually many foreigners and Thai buy land here just to wait for the price increase.....

Don't know why Thais don't want to live at the beachfront. My Thai wife says it's because the land is too expensive compared to what you get for your money. Also too much sand flying into your garden, house and car when it is windy..... :-)

Our daughter is heading over in mid-Dec and we're taking her to Trang. My wife and I have never been there (we live in Udon). I take it renting a car shouldn't be difficult, and from the sounds of things on this topic, there are plenty of nice beaches and restaurants. I'd prefer not making resort reservations until we get there and can see for ourselves. I know that's chancey in places like Phuket at this time of the year, but how about Trang?

Anyone want to offer a top 10 list of places to see/eat/do in Trang or within 100km?

Trang has some wonderful beaches too!

But Trang is actually located some 300 kilometers south/west of Khanom at the Andaman Sea facing the Strait of Malacca.

But sorry I do not know any hotels there :-(

Please don't call me a liar. It is a fact that my friends and I have been bitten by sandflies on the beaches in Khanom on all occasions that I have visited Khanom in the past 4 years. I am also entitled to express my opinions about service, poor food and expensive rooms. I thought this forum was here for people to express their opinions without being called "ridiculous liars"? I could think of some things to call you, but I will refrain.

Well...sorry if I you feel hit, when I wrote that "somebody starts talking about sand flies (which is a lie)"....but "somebody" states there are sand flies in Khanom even they've never ever been here. They talk about Chumphon 200 kilometers north of Khanom and Hua Hin 600 km north of Khanom.

Strange that you are the only one who has actually been here who complain about sand flies?? In another post further down Big Guy claims he has never been bitten or even seen a single sand fly!

So how come you're the only one?

As for myself, I visit the beaches every week. So do my wife. My 3 year old son swims in the bay almost every day...none of us have ever seen a sand fly.

Tell me...how does a sand fly look like? Maybe you mix up sand flies with mosquitoes?....at least that is what I think....

:D Well....nice picture you try to paint of the traffic jam problems in Phuket. Tell me...are you blind? :D

I've lived there for 4 years and daily I had to drive from my home to my office....and every single day was a nightmare on the roads!

Road constructions has been going on in Phuket for minimum 6 years now....and they still construct and never stops....now they're on the way to start constructing a new road across the mountains from Chalong to Patong.... another construction site....and I guess it will take 2 or 3 years to complete this road....welcome to Phuket! :)

Anybody laughing??

If you've ever been to Khanom, you will know that I am not "just trying to paint a glossy picture at the expense of other places"!!

It is a fact that Khanom is the new hot spot in Thailand, you can read about this all over the net.....just watch the photos of our beaches, they say it all!!

Olsen,

I think you will find that most of the people posting on this thread first went to Khanom years before you and know the area very well.

:)

Maybe....but many posts are from people never been here, and yet they complain!

I bet that when Olsen lived in Phuket, it was the best place in the whole world. Now that he is in Khanom, it is the best place in the world. I wonder what the next best place will be.

You are dead-wrong! I only lived in Phuket due to my job - and I really didn't like the place at all!

I will love to live in Khanom until the day it turns into a new Phuket or Ao Nang. But that will never happen....at least that's what I think and hope....

The OP is just trying to paint a glossy picture at the expense of other places. Laughable really. :D

He is promoting but he doesn't do anything else than most of us were doing a long time ago when we first got the Thailand-Flu and spilled the rosy stories, back home, to our friends and families urging them to visit Thailand as well.

I did the same when I came downhill for the first time, approaching Patong Beach...a virgin beach; more than 30 years ago. I came to Thailand when a mere 1 million tourists (mainly from Asia) visited the country. Now some 14 million.

It's all in the game, everywhere else in the world and Khanom Beach (never been there) will end up being a tourist spot as well. The OP is just accelerating the process because there's internet nowadays.

That wasn't so, 30 years ago.

LaoPo

Khanom was/is on the tourist map of major tour operators since more than a decade. But the masses passed by and it will stay like that in the near future. In that region KPG will be the next full blown package tourist destination.

Khanom certainly has the best beaches all along the East coast together with Chumpon. It is the perfect place for people, who want to live near beautiful, quiet beaches in stunning nature with all the steep rocks and the green scenery around, just 45 minutes on good roads to the second largest town in Southern Thailand.

It's really unbelievable, that so many Westerners choose to live bored to death somewhere in North Eastern fallow rice fields instead of there e.g. :)

post-33720-1258940446_thumb.jpgpost-33720-1258940469_thumb.jpg with Samui to the right

It's really unbelievable, that so many Westerners choose to live bored to death somewhere in North Eastern fallow rice fields instead of there e.g.

Love is love.... :)

Just waiting for the right time to have a nice week end to Khanom from my sometimes boring Koh Phangan