Udon Thani - Where To Go ?

afalang

Next week I will be visiting Udon for the first time. Can anyone recommend good bars, restaurants etc ? Will be there for about 3 days. Looking for a change of scenery after staying in a little village just outside of Bangkok....... Pattaya i think it was called :o

Next week I will be visiting Udon for the first time.  Can anyone recommend good bars, restaurants etc ?  Will be there for about 3 days.  Looking for a change of scenery after staying in a little village just outside of Bangkok....... Pattaya i think it was called  :o

Hope you are bringing a good pillow, nothing like that in Udon. Believe it or not there is a a go go here, called the Wolverine. But don't expect anything like Pattaya. Across the street from Robinson there is a group of farrang bars. Steve Bar is also in the same area. Tongs as well. There are houses the Thia's use, about the best thing you are going to find in Udon. But you need to be able to speak Thai. I hear the Techno center is good, never have tried it, There are several sing song Thia establishments, but they are not a nearly as good as they were several years back. Mambos is another good spot. Celuar Pub, the Western bar. A good first stop would be Harry's bar on ring road, he can probably get you going in the right direction.

If you considered Pattaya a small village, better head to Bangkok. Udon is a strange place lots of farrangs here, but we are not catered to as they do in the tourist spots. It will take you a lot more the three days here to find out what is here. There is activity here, but not in your face like Pattaya

usually there are place for teenage here in Udonthani.. NOt so much place for tourist.. if you want to visit nice place in the day time.. There are so some interest place in NOngkhai too.. I'm not a farng.. I'm Thai.. I do not know what the exactly you want.

Hope you are bringing a good pillow, nothing like that in Udon. Believe it or not there is a a go go here, called the Wolverine. But don't expect anything like Pattaya. Across the street from Robinson there is a group of farrang bars. Steve Bar is also in the same area. Tongs as well. There are houses the Thia's use, about the best thing you are going to find in Udon. But you need to be able to speak Thai. I hear the Techno center is good, never have tried it, There are several sing song Thia establishments, but they are not a nearly as good as they were several years back. Mambos is another good spot. Celuar Pub, the Western bar. A good first stop would be Harry's bar on ring road, he can probably get you going in the right direction.

If you considered Pattaya a small village, better head to Bangkok. Udon is a strange place lots of farrangs here, but we are not catered to as they do in the tourist spots. It will take you a lot more the three days here to find out what is here. There is activity here, but not in your face like Pattaya

Thanks for the 'intel' Ray. I will check a few of those bars out thanks. Do not like go-go bars that much to be honest. Too noisy and too expensive usuallly. The quip about Pattaya being a village was just some poor scouse humour. Although when I first visiited Pattaya in 1979 it was not much more than a village in those days :o Wished I'd bought that condo then for 500 baht :D

Thanks for the 'intel' Ray. I will check a few of those bars out thanks. Do not like go-go bars that much to be honest. Too noisy and too expensive usuallly. The quip about Pattaya being a village was just some poor scouse humour. Although when I first visiited Pattaya in 1979 it was not much more than a village in those days :o Wished I'd bought that condo then for 500 baht :D

Your very welcome, I go to the Thia bars when I go, do enjoy showing the guys a bit of history in the only surviving go go from Vietnam in Udon. My first visit to Pattya five years ago opened my eyes to the possibilities, in this country. To me it's like Vegas nice place for short spurts of excitment. But for real life it's Issan for me.

Next week I will be visiting Udon for the first time.  Can anyone recommend good bars, restaurants etc ?  Will be there for about 3 days.  Looking for a change of scenery after staying in a little village just outside of Bangkok....... Pattaya i think it was called  :o

I think you would do better to bypass Udon completely and head to Nongkhai. There are a number of decent bars and some good restaurants, especially The Outback Bar & Grill, Jose Ramon's Restaurant & Cantina, The Sweet Orchid, & OJ's. Try the Korean style barbecue on the riverfront in the evening at Ban or 999.

Stay or eat at the Meeting Place, where Paul will point you in the right direction to whatever takes your fancy.

If you must go to Udon, avoid Harry's and the Aussie bar unless you want to be involved in a fight.

Good luck!

Next week I will be visiting Udon for the first time.  Can anyone recommend good bars, restaurants etc ?  Will be there for about 3 days.   Looking for a change of scenery after staying in a little village just outside of Bangkok....... Pattaya i think it was called  :o

I think you would do better to bypass Udon completely and head to Nongkhai. There are a number of decent bars and some good restaurants, especially The Outback Bar & Grill, Jose Ramon's Restaurant & Cantina, The Sweet Orchid, & OJ's. Try the Korean style barbecue on the riverfront in the evening at Ban or 999.

Stay or eat at the Meeting Place, where Paul will point you in the right direction to whatever takes your fancy.

If you must go to Udon, avoid Harry's and the Aussie bar unless you want to be involved in a fight.

Good luck!

Hmm !!!!! Thats a bit surprising never saw or heard of a fight at Harry's. But I don't hang out much in bars.

If you do go to Nong Khai instead stay at Mutmee guesthouse,by far the best i've stayed at in Isaan.Great restaurant,lots of good company and on the banks of the Mekong. :o

I don't want to dis the Mutmee, which is everything you say, but for me the drawback at this time of year (hot season) is that with only fans in the rooms I can never sleep at night. The Meeting Place has been revamped, and does offer AC in some rooms.

Perhaps the Aussie Bar and Harry's are keeping quiet about the fights, but most people in Udon know about them and avoid going to those places. Newly opened in Udon is the Eagle Bar, which I'm told (but haven't seen) is very good.

Mutmee good value

Disagree with the "fight" comment you will find dills wherever you go, have had a sociable ale in both of these establishments and never a cross word was heard.

Steves is good for an ale & good tucker as well, next door (forget the name) good snooker table "Eagle" probably good now that "Thunder" bless his soul has moved out to the farm.

Everyone to their own there are a few scandanavian owned establishments across from Robinsons once again nice to have an ale and enjoy the cosmipolitan atmosphere.

Mijan24 :o

Edited by mijan24

• 1 month later...
but most people in Udon know about them and avoid going to those places.

Friends in Udon have never mentioned any fighting in the fifteen years i've been here.Guess it must be the company one keeps.

Lots of fights every week in the area near Aussie pub. It is a new development in the last year or two. Lots of a certain type of englishman have moved into the area....

I would have said Udon and Nong Khai were too laid back for much fighting. :o

Your correct about the fighting in Udon. If anyone says there has been no fighting they must leed a sheltered life here. I would stay away from the bars that MetalMicky has mentioned. Please beleive me I have seen and witnessed the uncalled for fighting. Go to Knog Khai. Try The River Veiw (Brendans Bar) for a nice stake. The Outback bar is closed

Mutmee good value

Disagree with the "fight" comment you will find dills wherever you go, have had a sociable ale in both of these establishments and never a cross word was heard.

Steves is good for an ale & good tucker as well, next door (forget the name) good snooker table "Eagle" probably good now that "Thunder" bless his soul has moved out to the farm.

Everyone to their own there are a few scandanavian owned establishments across from Robinsons once again nice to have an ale and enjoy the cosmipolitan atmosphere.

Mijan24 :o

The so called dills are the bar owners. If what I saw were to have happened in a European country they would have done time. Here you can pay the police and get away with fighting.

Wee Jimmy and CTM make Udon sound like the wild west. :D

Next time i go i had better not go alone. :o

Well let me know when you get here, let me know I have lived here for three years and I have never seen a physical fight any where. I have to admit the last two have been pretty shelterd but the firs one wan't went to Harry's Steves and lots of Thia bars, incluing the discos. May be we could see something new and exciting in Udon.

It was funny I heard about a three farrangs involved in a fight with some Thia's, lost by the way at Mambos, a night spot for young Thai's. I've been there but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Harry's I have heard that he has shown the front door to a few who were looking for trouble.

But I have noticed that with the influx of farrangs in in Udon it has changed. But I didn't hear that it had changed this much

Got some relatives and friends in the police force so will ask them what they know of Udon and if the trouble is restricted to a few morons in a few farang bars.

When you ask your police friends ask them to look back thier records to the 19th March 2005. There was a serious assault on a 58 year old man in one of the two bars which were mentioned earlier as one not to go to. This was not done by a load of hooligans either. I can assure you these bars are dangerous. Before you reply it was not the customers who started the assault.

Udon is turning into aother Pattaya.

Got some relatives and friends in the police force so will ask them what they know of Udon and if the trouble is restricted to a few morons in a few farang bars.

When you ask your police friends ask them to look back thier records to the 19th March 2005. There was a serious assault on a 58 year old man in one of the two bars which were mentioned earlier as one not to go to. This was not done by a load of hooligans either. I can assure you these bars are dangerous. Before you reply it was not the customers who started the assault.

Well from one of those guys leading a sheltered life here, just don't drink much. somehow I am surprised and not surprised. Many things changed here with Cobra Gold last year, used to be only 3 farrng hangouts and everybody knew everybody else, really just friendly watering holes. all of a sudden there were many other farrang places. I also have noticed more and more farrang in town. It wasn't that long ago when you walked through Robinson's and you ran across another farrang you got a friendly nod if not a conversation, not the case any longer. I've also noticed a change in the Thias in the last year, not nearly as friendly. None of this effects me much yet. I find the comment about Pattaya interesting rumor is that some of the new bars were created by poeple from Pattaya, I have no idea if that is true. Has Udon changed yes I think so

Wee Jimmy and CTM make Udon sound like the wild west. :D

Next time i go i had better not go alone. :o

Just stay away from areas near Aussie pub/Mr Tongs and around the corner at Horseshoe Bar/Steves. The rest of the town is fine. The trouble makers don't seem to venture out around town much. They are to the pub everyday and then back home for the most part.

Never heard about problems at Harrys, not to say it doesn't happen there too.

Thais are alot more fun to drink with anyway. Lots of Thai bars and discos.

Who came to Thailand to drink with a bunch of ill tempered english and big mouthed aussies anyway? (To those who this doesn't describe, save the flames. You know who I'm talking about.)

Well from one of those guys leading a sheltered life here, just don't drink much. somehow I am surprised and not surprised. Many things changed here with Cobra Gold last year, used to be only 3 farrng hangouts and everybody knew everybody else, really just friendly watering holes. all of a sudden there were many other farrang places. I also have noticed more and more farrang in town. It wasn't that long ago when you walked through Robinson's and you ran across another farrang you got a friendly nod if not a conversation, not the case any longer. I've also noticed a change in the Thias in the last year, not nearly as friendly. None of this effects me much yet. I find the comment about Pattaya interesting rumor is that some of the new bars were created by poeple from Pattaya, I have no idea if that is true. Has Udon changed yes I think so

I agree with both of you- CTM & Ray23. I can remember a few years ago walking through Robinsons and getting the same friendly nod. Maybe it was you. I will say however that I have never seen any trouble with the young Americans on Cobra Gold. They have always been polite and well behaved. The problem seems to start with the bar owners and some of the idiots that have infested and changed Udon into a little Pattaya.. Its far better to drink with the Thai's in Thai bars. Yes they thier attitude of some of the Thai's toward us has also changed over the past few years, and you can't blame them when they see some of the carry on around Tong's etc at night. I think we all agree on this.

I agree with both of you- CTM & Ray23. I can remember a few years ago walking through Robinsons and getting the same friendly nod. Maybe it was you. I will say however that I have never seen any trouble with the young Americans on Cobra Gold. They have always been polite and well behaved. The problem seems to start with the bar owners and some of the idiots that have infested and changed Udon into a little Pattaya.. Its far better to drink with the Thai's in Thai bars. Yes they thier attitude of some of the Thai's toward us has also changed over the past few years, and you can't blame them when they see some of the carry on around Tong's etc at night. I think we all agree on this.

I really have to explain myself better, the change in bars was what I was speaking of as well.

Maybe I'm not seeing the fights because rowdy bars are not my thing, Tongs can be a very interesting place to see once, fro me anyway. Lots of activity and noise. I used to enjoy the Thai sing song clubs, one of the biggest ripoffs in Thailand but I had fun, so I suppose for me it was worth it.

I have nothing against Pattata but, I do prefer it being there and me visiting once in a while instead of my back yard.

I must admit I am a little surprised to hear of the changes taking place up this neck of the woods.

I have just returned from taking the wife and kids home to Tha Bo and to help escape the boredom attacks that I suffer from time to time up in the village I am let loose for a night or 2 to grab a few beers and a meal that is slightly more palatible for myself to indulge in.

Havent been back for over 4 years now and met up in the Aussie bar with a guy from another forum with whom I enjoyed a few beers and a mini pub crawl of the local area, and never saw a spot of bother, albeit it was a 'little' noisey in the Aussie bar due to the military presence. Apart from that it was an enjoyable night and shudder to think that trouble does kick off once in a while unfortunately, I sincerely just hope that they are occassional incidents and they do not become a regular part of the night life in Udon.