Udon Thani - Where To Go ?

afalang

Next week I will be visiting Udon for the first time.  Can anyone recommend good bars, restaurants etc ?  Will be there for about 3 days.   Looking for a change of scenery after staying in a little village just outside of Bangkok....... Pattaya i think it was called  :o

I think you would do better to bypass Udon completely and head to Nongkhai. There are a number of decent bars and some good restaurants, especially The Outback Bar & Grill, Jose Ramon's Restaurant & Cantina, The Sweet Orchid, & OJ's. Try the Korean style barbecue on the riverfront in the evening at Ban or 999.

Stay or eat at the Meeting Place, where Paul will point you in the right direction to whatever takes your fancy.

If you must go to Udon, avoid Harry's and the Aussie bar unless you want to be involved in a fight.

Good luck!

I see the Aussie Bar has a web cam now:

Aussie Bar

is this so you can watch for the knock out???

been there once never seen such bad management ..pissed...aggressive and had the bad manners to come and place himself at the table and loudly tell me how brits and aussies are brothers!!!

all this while loudly abusing his wife.been back to udon 4 times since then,funnily enough i was not compelled to visit him again :o

well I arrived home safe and sound from my trip to the Udon area. Many thanks to those who offered advice, especially to Ray23 and Rito. I was very impressed with Udon. Lovely clean and green city compared to some other Thai places I have been to. Good city centre and shopping centre and everyone was genuinely friendly and helpful. For me the high-lite of the trip was the 4 days I spent in Kumphawapi. It was so good...loved the wild monkeys roaming the town centre and swinging on the traffic lights...very cute. The huge Buddha temple thats about 10 storeys high. Great market that sold just about everything, including krapao gai with rice for 5 baht ! I could live there quite easily. Even the cops were friendly when they pulled me over for being on the back of my girlfriends motor bike with no helmet ! No fine, they just wanted to say hello and find out where I was from. I think once I've finished my time in Pattaya I'll be moving to Kumphawapi....only down-side is the long walk to the beach :o

well I arrived home safe and sound from my trip to the Udon area.  Many thanks to those who offered advice, especially to Ray23 and Rito.  I was very impressed with Udon.  Lovely clean and green city compared to some other Thai places I have been to.  Good city centre and shopping centre and everyone was genuinely friendly and helpful.  For me the high-lite of the trip was the 4 days I spent in Kumphawapi.  It was so good...loved the wild monkeys roaming the town centre and swinging on the traffic lights...very cute.  The huge Buddha temple thats about 10 storeys high.  Great market that sold just about everything, including krapao gai with rice for 5 baht !  I could live there quite easily.  Even the cops were friendly when they pulled me over for being on the back of my girlfriends motor bike with no helmet !  No fine, they just wanted to say hello and find out where I was from.  I think once I've finished my time in Pattaya I'll be moving to Kumphawapi....only down-side is the long walk to the beach  :o

Well it really sound like I eed to get off the duff and spend a day in Kumphawapi, good choice far enough from Farrang ville and close enoguh for when the witdrawels hit. I drove through once during last ong Kran looked interesting, Mokies now fellas just got to see that. I thought I saw something that looked like a river or lake there, maybe that would do.

• 1 year later...
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Mutmee good value</span>

Disagree with the "fight" comment you will find dills wherever you go, have had a sociable ale in both of these establishments and never a cross word was heard.

Steves is good for an ale & good tucker as well, next door (forget the name) good snooker table "Eagle" probably good now that "Thunder" bless his soul has moved out to the farm.

Everyone to their own there are a few scandanavian owned establishments across from Robinsons once again nice to have an ale and enjoy the cosmipolitan atmosphere.

Mijan24 :D

Hi all

I agree Harrys seems a most improbbable place for a fight, if we talk about the same one, up on the ring road well out of town. However I have seen a number of fights in soi falang where the Aussie bar is normally westerners but not always saw a nice little chair fight with some Thais one night in Moys thats why she changed to big wood tables ha ha lol, as to action theres plenty in udon just the locals like to keep it quite as they dont want it turning into a mini Pattaya, both bars ether side of Steves have pool tables Mo Jos and Horseshoe, at least they were called that last year, Im now in UK sad sad sad, plenty of freelancers in Mr Tongs most with falang husbands working away mines in there three four times a month with her friends they all avalaible !!!!! hey what the hel_l we need to tell it straight right LOL, :D:o

Ask Tuk Tuk for lady and see how hard to find 1 or 2 minutes you can get what ever you want, Stay at Cheroen if you on your own they will get you a lady in a few minutes, theres also a soppy massage nearby if thats your scene, remember most of the girls in Pattaya and Bangkok etc come from Issan so finding a prostitute in Udon is esier then finding a mossy bite,, Nong Khai same although strangly more expensive about 1000 or 1200 long time in Udon can get much cheeper even free, happy hunting dont go crazy it not good, believe me I know :D

Those monkeys ar a kick aren't they. every time I ride through I have to spend a few mins at the park. Did you notice the monkey a statues in front of the new building under construction.?

• 3 weeks later...

Harry does not put up with any bullshitt in his place. It might very well be that there was a fight when he told someone to get the helll out that was causing trouble and he has offended a few people by letting them know straight up their presence is not needed. His place is the oldest most well established bar in Udon and he is out on the ring road for a reason, so guys who have their own cars and families can stop in during the afternoon and grab something cool to drink and eat a real cheeseburger without having to deal with any bullshitt.

I believe some posting negative comments about the mans place are ones who either are jealous or have themselves been shown the door. I do find it completely laughable that one poster would suggest The Meeting Place in Nong Khai yet dis Harry's bar. The Meeting Place has had how many owners? How many fights? How many feuds? How many regular costumers and even owners that were unwelcome in any other bar in town over the years?

With respect I have heard the latest owners of The Meeting Place have cleaned the place up and are doing a much better job of running it but I wouldn't know as I have not been there since George sold Geoff's pet pig to be barbecued which started one of many local pissing contests over the years.

As far as Udon you are much more likely to have problems around all the little drink bars surrounding Mr. Tongs in front of the KFC but you can find problems anywhere alcohol is served. Most of the guys I know take their wives and kids to Harry's to eat and have a drink in peace but it can turn into a party at times after 9 pm and during special events like the Superbowl. I have known Harry for almost 5 years and and have been to his place many many times, calling his place dangerous is absolute bullshitt.

is this so you can watch for the knock out???

been there once never seen such bad management ..pissed...aggressive and had the bad manners to come and place himself at the table and loudly tell me how brits and aussies are brothers!!!

all this while loudly abusing his wife.been back to udon 4 times since then,funnily enough i was not compelled to visit him again :o

The wife finally must have tired of him as she emptied the bank account and disappeared. Last I heard he was selling his new bar and going back to Aussieland. Good riddance. Strange thing is he was quite popular with a lot of the farang community. I never understood why as my impression of him was about the same as yours.

I second most of what Mai Krap said about Harry’s. The few times I went after 9pm I never saw more than one other customer. During the day more likely to see customers reading the paper or chatting with Harry than fighting. Not a haven for the raucous crowd at all.

Known Harry for seven years and a little more, neve seen a fight in the place personally I know that Harry has bounced a few foe as far as I can tell good reason. I think that is going to go with territory if own a bar long term. Drunks are not always nice people. The few instance I have seen him ask someone to leave, he has done it serously but with respect, hey they don't go what's next?

Cops are not going to take care of the bar for you here. Here you have to take care of your own business. That could very well lead to some conflicts.

That being said never bee present duriign one in seven years, so thats pretty good odds that you are not going to have a problem. Not to mention Harry and Enung are great people to chat with, good food. Nice place to relax, Kind of reminds of the sitcom Cheers LOL

Harry does not put up with any bullshitt in his place. It might very well be that there was a fight when he told someone to get the helll out that was causing trouble and he has offended a few people by letting them know straight up their presence is not needed. His place is the oldest most well established bar in Udon and he is out on the ring road for a reason, so guys who have their own cars and families can stop in during the afternoon and grab something cool to drink and eat a real cheeseburger without having to deal with any bullshitt.

I believe some posting negative comments about the mans place are ones who either are jealous or have themselves been shown the door. I do find it completely laughable that one poster would suggest The Meeting Place in Nong Khai yet dis Harry's bar. The Meeting Place has had how many owners? How many fights? How many feuds? How many regular costumers and even owners that were unwelcome in any other bar in town over the years?

With respect I have heard the latest owners of The Meeting Place have cleaned the place up and are doing a much better job of running it but I wouldn't know as I have not been there since George sold Geoff's pet pig to be barbecued which started one of many local pissing contests over the years.

As far as Udon you are much more likely to have problems around all the little drink bars surrounding Mr. Tongs in front of the KFC but you can find problems anywhere alcohol is served. Most of the guys I know take their wives and kids to Harry's to eat and have a drink in peace but it can turn into a party at times after 9 pm and during special events like the Superbowl. I have known Harry for almost 5 years and and have been to his place many many times, calling his place dangerous is absolute bullshitt.

I don't know what is happening at the Meeting Place but I do know that Paul is now managing a Go Go in Pattaya. I'll be heading down to Jomtien in a couple of weeks and will get the latest from Paul.