I have read somewhere (but cannot find it on this forum) that you are supposed to carry all of the relevant documents in your car, when driving. i.e. registration book, insurance papers, purchase receipt - and probably some that I have forgotten about - and your driving licence, of course. After my recent experience with attempted car theft it seems to me that leaving the documents in the car is not such a good idea - and they are a bit bulky to carry around on your person. I routinely carry my DL, of course, but this is no problem.

Do I really have to have all of the docs with the car at all times? What about if I took copies and kept the originals locked away? Would this be acceptable to the police if I was pulled over for a check?

What do people usually do about this?

DM :o

Never take the car documents with me.All i take is my driving license.

Been pulled over a million times and always ask to see just the driving licence and also they take a look at the tax and insurance discs to see if they are out of date.

My insurance company has instructed me to only carry a copy of the registration doc.

Have been stopped many,many times. Never a problem.

If you wish to take the car abroad then it is a diffrerent set of rules.

Actually if i remember rightly you are supposed to carry your registration documents with you, which is obviously a totaly ridiculous idea, ie the car is stolen so you now have no proof of ownership, but i do keep copies of the registration documents in both of my vehicles, although in all my years here i have never been asked to show these..

then again i used to be stopped on my motorbike for using my lights during the day, it wasnt an acceptable explanation that it was for my own safety so other motorist could see me, the police just used to say it wasnt allowed.

Actually if i remember rightly you are supposed to carry your registration documents with you, which is obviously a totaly ridiculous idea, ie the car is stolen so you now have no proof of ownership, but i do keep copies of the registration documents in both of my vehicles, although in all my years here i have never been asked to show these..

then again i used to be stopped on my motorbike for using my lights during the day, it wasnt an acceptable explanation that it was for my own safety so other motorist could see me, the police just used to say it wasnt allowed.

I carry my licenses - bike and car - and the sales receipt from Toyota, but have never been asked for either in 16 months. I've been stopped at the checkpoint just as you leave Phuket, but they don't ask the question that most English bobbies ask: "Is this your car sir?" They usually ask "Bai nai?"

I don't carry the blue registation book, but I always meant to carry a photocopy of the one important page. Never got around to doing it though.